Router with harddrive, ADSL, wireless, bridging, torrent client

GPSJane

I am looking for a router with a torrent client and harddrive. It should also support wireless bridging and of course have ADSL.

Any suggestions?

ld13

Honorary Master
I am looking for a router with a torrent client and harddrive. It should also support wireless bridging and of course have ADSL.
Any suggestions?

So what is wrong with the normal route of separate wireless router + NAS?

Pada

Executive Member
Non-ADSL Routers:
Asus WL-500g Deluxe|Premium / Asus WL-500W / Linksys WRTSL54GS / TP-Link WR1043ND

DD-WRT + Torrent Client:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware

Your best bet might be the TP-LINK WR1043ND, but I'm not 100% if it has 32MB RAM which would allow you to install all the necessary DD-WRT optional software to run the Torrent client. If you go for this, ensure that you buy it with DD-WRT preinstalled, which would be like R50 extra, but then you get to keep your warranty.

A friend of mine has the TP-Link WR1043ND and he installed DD-WRT and is now running a FTP server from it :)

I really doubt that you'll be able to get an ADSL router with a torrent client, but it's not impossible. Alternatively you could just use a laptop/EEE PC to run the torrent client.

Last edited:

repitah

Wow! Big demands!

You sure you want of that intelligence and data sitting on lightning prone wired phone network?
Can't a small dsl router and net-top (EEE / Cape7) without the Windows tax, running an "easy" flavour of Linux work for you without breaking the bank and your electricity service provider?

Maybe even a DSl router and separate NAS that can do torrents?
Really not loving the idea of expensive/valuable electronics (hdd's) being so close to the wired PSTN

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
BIG Demands

Wow! Big demands!
Really not loving the idea of expensive/valuable electronics (hdd's) being so close to the wired PSTN

GPSJane == CALAMITY Jane :D

Suprised she / he / they are not also asking for a built in GPS :twisted::D

The "Lamborghini" of Routers -- OK OK give me TEN of those BWAH bwhahhhhhhh

GPSJane

Wow! Big demands!

You sure you want of that intelligence and data sitting on lightning prone wired phone network?

That is a good point. But I don't necessarily want it for massive storage - just for the torrent client.

Can't a small dsl router and net-top (EEE / Cape7) without the Windows tax, running an "easy" flavour of Linux work for you without breaking the bank and your electricity service provider?

Do you mean similar to a media pc? I've looked but I want just what I mentioned above. The Eee box pcs seem a bit more than just what I want. I would also prefer everything in one because it's neater that way and there's less to connect and get talking to each other. They're expensive anyway.

Maybe even a DSl router and separate NAS that can do torrents?

Yeah I can get a really nice Netgear setup and I thought about it because I already have a router but then I discovered my router doesn't support bridging and it seems to be failing so I thought - let's just get one device!

Really what's wrong with wanting the best and everything in one? It's like these new media players that don't actually have wireless. It will change, mark my words.

Yeah something for me to consider.

Last edited:

GPSJane

GPSJane == CALAMITY Jane :D

Suprised she / he / they are not also asking for a built in GPS :twisted::D

The "Lamborghini" of Routers -- OK OK give me TEN of those BWAH bwhahhhhhhh

Hahaha. She just wants what she wants. Is that so bad?

GPSJane

Non-ADSL Routers:
Asus WL-500g Deluxe|Premium / Asus WL-500W / Linksys WRTSL54GS / TP-Link WR1043ND

DD-WRT + Torrent Client:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware

Your best bet might be the TP-LINK WR1043ND, but I'm not 100% if it has 32MB RAM which would allow you to install all the necessary DD-WRT optional software to run the Torrent client. If you go for this, ensure that you buy it with DD-WRT preinstalled, which would be like R50 extra, but then you get to keep your warranty.

A friend of mine has the TP-Link WR1043ND and he installed DD-WRT and is now running a FTP server from it :)

I really doubt that you'll be able to get an ADSL router with a torrent client, but it's not impossible. Alternatively you could just use a laptop/EEE PC to run the torrent client.

Cool, thanks!. So if I don't get it all in one I could just upgrade my wireless network with this and connect storage to it.

I have to ask, can I connect normal USB storage or should it be NAS?

Can DD-WRT be used on any device?

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
DESIRE

Hahaha. She just wants what she wants. Is that so bad?

Dear Madam -- ONLY when it is unreasonable :D ( at ALL other times "SHE" MUST be obeyed :whistling: )

I am not sure anyone makes the device you WANT -- at least not in a box off the shelf. ( that I know about )

There is a difference between bridging a wired LAN and a wireless LAN ( not all routers / AP's have a wireless bridging function )

More eggs ONE basket -- tidy -- but liable to disaster.

Unfortunately -- either way it IS going to cost you ........ ( the cost of getting your own way -- for men normally a Diamond :erm::D )

Pada

Executive Member
DD-WRT can only be installed on some non-ADSL routers. There are also multiple builds of DD-WRT firmware, because not all routers have 32MB of flash which is required for the Mega build.

GPSJane

Dear Madam -- ONLY when it is unreasonable :D ( at ALL other times "SHE" MUST be obeyed :whistling: )

I am not sure anyone makes the device you WANT -- at least not in a box off the shelf. ( that I know about )

There is a difference between bridging a wired LAN and a wireless LAN ( not all routers / AP's have a wireless bridging function )

More eggs ONE basket -- tidy -- but liable to disaster.

Unfortunately -- either way it IS going to cost you ........ ( the cost of getting your own way -- for men normally a Diamond :erm::D )

What I want is NEVER unreasonable ;) Just ask my husband! lol

Ok, I can't get one device but I can do it in 2. As long as either the router or NAS can also handle the torrent downloads I will be happy.

Best NAS?

GPSJane

DD-WRT can only be installed on some non-ADSL routers. There are also multiple builds of DD-WRT firmware, because not all routers have 32MB of flash which is required for the Mega build.

Ok, but I have some choice then. I will read up on that page. Thanks!

Are there routers which manage the storage so that you can just connect normal USB storage? I am sure I saw something like that but now I can't find it.

Pada

Executive Member
Yes, you should be able to plug in any USB storage device into the routers with USB ports.

Yotch

Expert Member
You could also look at the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH Nfiniti router (~R1100 Expansys / Bidorbuy), Asus RT-N16 (R1200~R1400, Esquire, Sybaritic)
http://www.buffalotech.com/files/products/wzr-hp-g300nh_DS.pdf
http://specials.esquire.co.za/2010_09_02Asus_NetworksSpl.html

Standalone bittorrent downloaders are also available (~R300 DealExtreme, includes free shipping)
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26320
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.35359
http://www.take2.co.za/electronics-patriot-gearbox-white-nas-usb-5282643.html (white or black)

Pada

Executive Member
That Buffalo router is a real winner! You'll still need an ADSL router of course, but you might even be able to install the BitTorrent client on it like I've shown in my first post.

Getting a router with DD-WRT or RouterOS is definitely worth it!

GPSJane

That Buffalo router is a real winner! You'll still need an ADSL router of course, but you might even be able to install the BitTorrent client on it like I've shown in my first post.

Getting a router with DD-WRT or RouterOS is definitely worth it!

Yeah the Buffalo looks great. Pity it doesn't have ADSL. I might just get I though and use the router I have for ADSL. Thanks guys :)

Oh where do I buy a Buffalo? Been looking all over but haven't found it yet.