SA Politics Thread Part 10 : The GNU Has Crashed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the way our constitution is written any threshold would be unconstitutional.

I would suggest that a political party needs to prove itself at a local level before being able to register to compete at national maybe as a way around that.
No, I think as long as it is low, like 1%, it should be fine.

46. Composition and election​


1. The National Assembly consists of no fewer than 350 and no more than 400 women and men elected as members in terms of an electoral system that -


a. is prescribed by national legislation;


b. is based on the national common voters roll;


c. provides for a minimum voting age of 18 years; and


d. results, in general, in proportional representation.

But anything like 2%, 5% ( Germany) and 7% (Turkey) will definitely be unconstitutional.
 
No, I think as long as it is low, like 1%, it should be fine.



But anything like 2%, 5% ( Germany) and 7% (Turkey) will definitely be unconstitutional.
I think it would hinge on the elements of universal suffrage that are baked into the founding provisions.
 
I think it would hinge on the elements of universal suffrage that are baked into the founding provisions.

I disagree. The universal right to vote has nothing to do with ensuring that there's proportional representation.
 

I disagree. The universal right to vote has nothing to do with ensuring that there's proportional representation.
Will depend on how the courts would see it I suppose...

I agree with a threshold personally, but not sure the courts would.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X