Salary deductions and absenteeism

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Never in my life have I seen this kind of thing where the product/parts change ownership to the employee because he is the one working with it.

Not a **** would I ever operate like that and the fact that you have done so for four years and only run into issues now is a miracle.

How on earth do they balance the books in this place?

I'm pretty sure that process alone is already illegal, never mind the whole deductions things happening. I suspect if someone had to look into this business they would find a hell of a lot more illegal operations going on.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Never in my life have I seen this kind of thing where the product/parts change ownership to the employee because he is the one working with it.

Not a **** would I ever operate like that and the fact that you have done so for four years and only run into issues now is a miracle.

How on earth do they balance the books in this place?

I'm pretty sure that process alone is already illegal, never mind the whole deductions things happening. I suspect if someone had to look into this business they would find a hell of a lot more illegal operations going on.
My suspicions, too...Place sounds super dodgy.

maumau

Honorary Master
all you need to do is show the documents to HR where the customer signed off the job?

why haven't you done this?

Pitbull

Verboten
Our director is an ******* with a god complex unfortunately. He is the one making the decision, and is completely aware of the situation. He is trying a "not my monkeys, not my circus" arguments and is only acting as an enforcer in this matter.
All of the items allocated to me is either:
1. Not gone through the process yet
2. Stuff up by Admin. They closed the ticket without actually removing a part from my name
3. A stuff up by the sales team where they were trying to skip a few processes to ensure they keep their sales targets up. The repercussions of this has landed in my lap

Think I may need to use the Chewbacca defence to get this sorted.
Simple solution then. Refuse to do any work unless the parts are paid. That will affect your director directly and you'll have no deductions. He will very quickly change the process. No way in hell I will pay for items a client wants from my company and then wait for them to pay so I can be repaid. Fark that shyte.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Simple solution then. Refuse to do any work unless the parts are paid. That will affect your director directly and you'll have no deductions. He will very quickly change the process. No way in hell I will pay for items a client wants from my company and then wait for them to pay so I can be repaid. Fark that shyte.
Completely that...

Bollocks of the highest order.

Pox

Expert Member
How is this in any way legal?

A company that tries to run their business like this should be avoided at all costs.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Do you actually work for this company or are you contracted to them?

Because that changes the entire game.

DavidB23

all you need to do is show the documents to HR where the customer signed off the job?

why haven't you done this?
It's not as simple as that.

I have proof that all paperwork etc has been communicated to those that need to see it.
HR doesn't really have a clue.

The person working directly with "technician assets" is conveniently on leave until the 7th of March.
The finance director who will sign off on payment made is on leave until mid March.

I just received a copy of my payslip. The deduction is called "Staff Loan"

Just out if interest. The tactic used in December to have these "warehouses" resolved was that everyone was denied December leave. I applied for 7 days leave. Only 3 were granted.

TJ99

Honorary Master
They instated a new rule last week that any parts still allocated to you by month end will be deducted from your salary.

That's where my problem comes in. The total value of items allocated to me is around 35k. They advised that the deduction this month is 15K, and next month will be 20K.
Yeah that's BS. First of all they can't decide on such rules if it isn't in your employment contract, and second even if it WAS in your contract I don't think they'd be allowed to do it. Try explaining to your boss that that's illegal and if you get no joy, nail them at the CCMA. This is completely unacceptable.

Pox

Expert Member
Why are parts booked to you? They should be booked to a contract or a service order/service number.
This is how normal companies do it.

How in the holy $#%^ would you keep track of stock usage like this? You would never be able to track what was used for which client.
If someone gets nailed like this and then the client payment comes thru, does the company refund you the deductions?

The more I think of how this works, the more I would report this boss to SARS at the very least. There is no way in hell this practice would pass an audit.

This is sounding like a good case for name and shame. Your boss should not be running a company.

Pitbull

Verboten

I have proof that all paperwork etc has been communicated to those that need to see it.

The person working directly with "technician assets" is conveniently on leave until the 7th of March.
The finance director who will sign off on payment made is on leave until mid March.

Just out if interest. The tactic used in December to have these "warehouses" resolved was that everyone was denied December leave. I applied for 7 days leave. Only 3 were granted.
I still don't get the idea behind this and I can't see anyone doing business like this and people accepting employment from such a company. Is there a high rate of theft by staff on these parts or what gives? Please give us the full story, I'm 100% sure there is more to this tbh.

chromedome

Expert Member
Sounds like a super dodgy company if what you say is true.
Agree, they're not playing by the rules and need to inform you in writing which you need to agree to and yes 25% of your salary per month is the maximum they can take back.

Beachless

Executive Member
WOW if what you are saying is true this company is in for a serious hurting from the department of labor.

Just follow the process and keep logs of any communications.

TJ99

Honorary Master

I'd be on my way to SARS right the **** now. Don't you realise what's happening?

They're doing this dodgy deal where they take your money, but they know they can't show it on the payslip as a deduction because that's illegal and would arouse suspicion at the CCMA and SARS so they put "staff loan" (which is legal) on there instead to make it look like you're paying the company back money you owe them.

Why are parts booked to you? They should be booked to a contract or a service order/service number.
This is how normal companies do it.

How in the holy $#%^ would you keep track of stock usage like this? You would never be able to track what was used for which client.
If someone gets nailed like this and then the client payment comes thru, does the company refund you the deductions?

The more I think of how this works, the more I would report this boss to SARS at the very least. There is no way in hell this practice would pass an audit.

This is sounding like a good case for name and shame. Your boss should not be running a company.
Yeah I think uncle SARS needs to pay a visit.

Pox

Expert Member
Can you imagine working for these guys?
Late afternoon on the last day of the month a client has a breakdown. You have to get R100k worth of spares, and the next day you owe R100k to the company because it was impossible to process the paperwork.

Yeah. I think this boss has a good chance of losing his business and/or jail time if this is reported. Very very much illegal.

signates

Executive Member
I also think there is a bigger problem of theft of parts at the company but they are not addressing the issue by resorting to what they are doing.

You cannot just penalise employers like this.

I would resign and go to the CCMA and lodge a constructive dismissal charge against the company. They should see their ass.

This doesn't fix your problem of paying bills at the end of the month. Try and get in touch with your creditors now already.

maumau

Honorary Master
so is the company trying to ensure that all parts taken from their premises are used on legitimate jobs?