Samsung Galaxy S3 stress test

Dolby

Honorary Master
I didn't want a screen protector on mine - so I haven't anything on since new (3+ months)

The screen is full of scratches :/ Isn't it supposed to be scratch resistant ?

nelwa

Expert Member
Skip to 50s and watch from there...and mute if you don't understand, japanese, chinese, or whatevernese...

mcastudios

I didn't want a screen protector on mine - so I haven't anything on since new (3+ months)

I have mine for about 3 months too and only use a Samsung Slim Case, no screen protector, and I don't have any scratches. Perhaps its nots the phones fault? Where/How did yours pick up these scratches? Might help others avoid the same mistakes.

falcon786

Honorary Master

Most new high end phones come with gorilla glass nowadays which is very scratch resistant but that doesn't mean you can put it with keys in your pockets.

pjjdp

Expert Member
Mine is 4 months old with no protector or case. Has one tiny scratch on the screen. You really have to look for it. I dropped my phone while getting out of the car. No other damage at all.

HBee

Expert Member
Mine is 6 Months old without screen protector. Not a scratch in sight. holding up much better than my Nokia with similar usage pattern.

warrena

2 Months old and with the kids getting to it so now and then it still don't have any scratches on it.

Dolby

Honorary Master
They're not big or deep ... almost like swirl marks on the phone.

You can't seem them directly ; but there are alot when held in the sun. I'll try take a photo

falcon786

Honorary Master
They're not big or deep ... almost like swirl marks on the phone.

You can't seem them directly ; but there are alot when held in the sun. I'll try take a photo

Sounds like keys/coins in your pocket being the cause of that,try keeping your phone in say your right pocket and any keys/coins should always be placed in other pocket/s.

Ive had similar scratches on my older phones back in the day when screens were much much smaller,with todays large screens on phones it becomes very important to never keep em with keys or coins or anything that can scratch the screen in your pocket.

TJ99

Honorary Master
Or just keep it in a pouch, like a sane person? Or a flip cover if you don't find that irritating like I do.

dzasta2002

Got mine three weeks ago,two weeks in dropped it from my bed (0.6m or so) got a long crack from bottom right corner which meets another one going from left to right at the centre forming a Y-intersection. Funniest thing, FNB will be making their first deduction tonight with 23 more to follow!

mcastudios

Got mine three weeks ago,two weeks in dropped it from my bed (0.6m or so) got a long crack from bottom right corner which meets another one going from left to right at the centre forming a Y-intersection. Funniest thing, FNB will be making their first deduction tonight with 23 more to follow!

Insurance? I couldn't afford to not have such an expensive phone insured.

Cool E

Expert Member

sad news but you keep on using it until you have enough money to fix. Estimated amount R1800.

Electron1

Expert Member
You got to wonder the value of their testing?
The video makes it seem like the phone is really tough.
I know of someone whose S3 screen cracked after 2 days.

Yes, you have to look after your phone as others have posted, IMHO their testing doesn't seem to match real world, especially the drop tests.

falcon786

Honorary Master
You got to wonder the value of their testing?
The video makes it seem like the phone is really tough.
I know of someone whose S3 screen cracked after 2 days.

Yes, you have to look after your phone as others have posted, IMHO their testing doesn't seem to match real world, especially the drop tests.

Yeah if you look at the drop tests for phones like iphone 5 and galaxy s3 etc you can clearly see that phones with very thin bezels have easily breakable screens while phones like the lumia 920 while accused for being thick with wider bezels etc hold up way way way better.

So at the end of the day choose whats best for you,if you are accident prone then get a 920 or something along those lines and live with the slight added bulk but better durability,and if you know how to take care of a phone then grab something more streamlined like the iphone 5,htc one x or s3 etc.

Whatever you do just don't ever put any phone with keys or coins in your pockets.

Ecco

Executive Member
I think the phone in the clip is a Note II. From the home button clicking test, you can see a stylus slot on the bottom right of the phone - GS3 doesnt have this.

dzasta2002

Heard to many tales about insurance hassles that I decided to forego that route.

Will try the self-replacing of the glass in the not so distant future.