Samsung Galaxy S5

http://gizmodo.com/the-best-smartphone-display-its-not-who-you-think-1555215411

Best Smartphone Display: Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, the Galaxy S5 is the Best performing smartphone display that we have ever tested. It has a long list of new records for best smartphone display performance including: Highest Brightness, Lowest Reflectance, Highest Color Accuracy, Infinite Contrast Ratio, Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light, and smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle. The Galaxy S5 has raised the bar for top display performance up by another notch—an impressive achievement for OLED technology.
 
Well that's a no brainer for me then. The Note 3 is still R449, with only 100MB data, while the new S5 is R489 with 300MB of data. 300MB of extra data (they don't do 200MB bundles) will cost you R40 so pretty much the same price in the end.

EDIT: Oh, plus you get a 16GB SD Card thrown in to sweeten the S5 deal with MTN.

Clipboard2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Nearly r500 a month and you only get 300mb?
[video=youtube;apl7RhwMW0E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apl7RhwMW0E[/video]
 
Nearly r500 a month and you only get 300mb?

Your point? I am currently paying R528 per month on an Anytime 200 contract and only getting 75MB per month. Which, as mentioned elsewhere, I end up rolling over on occasion. WiFi at home and the office FTW.

Do you have pricing with other service providers to share?
 
Let's do it another way. What is the cash price for the S5? I've seen R9,815 mentioned on here. Over 24 months the phone on the MyChoice100 contract will cost me R11,736. Let's take the cash price for the phone off there, so R1,921 for the contract. I see the SanDisk Ultra 16GB is priced at Dion Wired at R260, so let's take that "freebie" off the price, so R1,661 for the contract over 2 years. That is R69.20 per month for 100 minutes call time, 300MB data and the useless 100 SMS.

Explain to me again why you feel I am going in blind and am being "tricked by a business"? And correct my maths if I'm wrong.
 
i didn't think it possible, but there seems to be someone more passionate about the S5 than me :D

:D

I wasn't... I was as disappointed after all the hype as everyone else but the latest reviews are really shining a bright light on this device. I was considering the Note but it makes absolutely no sense to choose a 6 month old phone over the latest when all it offers is a bigger screen and a little stick :D Oh, and no real financial saving on an MTN contract (which is where my upgrade is).
 
Your point? I am currently paying R528 per month on an Anytime 200 contract and only getting 75MB per month. Which, as mentioned elsewhere, I end up rolling over on occasion. WiFi at home and the office FTW.

Do you have pricing with other service providers to share?

Well, the other SPs don't have the S5 yet, but looking at what you can get for R500 from CellC for a similarly flagship phone:
http://www.cellc.co.za/cell-phone-deals/contract/apple-iphone-5s-16gb-on-straight-up-200
400 MINUTES
400 SMSs/MMSs
400 MB + 300MB DATA
R499pm x 24

But if 300mb is enough for you that's cool. Just seems like a pretty stingy offer.

I wasn't... I was as disappointed after all the hype as everyone else but the latest reviews are really shining a bright light on this device.
I think Samsung did a very poor job of highlighting some of the really interesting features of the phone. The battery life and improved screen quality are genuine sellers, never mind gimmicky heartrate monitors and gimpy laptop-style fingerprint swipe.
 
From the link you provided:
2014-04-01 14_16_51-Apple iPhone 5s 16GB on Straight Up 200.jpg

Well, the other SPs don't have the S5 yet, but looking at what you can get for R500 from CellC for a similarly flagship phone:
http://www.cellc.co.za/cell-phone-deals/contract/apple-iphone-5s-16gb-on-straight-up-200
400 MINUTES
400 SMSs/MMSs
400 MB + 300MB DATA
R499pm x 24

But if 300mb is enough for you that's cool. Just seems like a pretty stingy offer.

400 minutes?
400 SMS?
400 + 300MB DATA?

Is see 200, 200, 200 and not 400, 400, 400.
 
Then you could look at the Note 4 which I presume would be a better one to compare to the S5.

Cell C Straight Up 200 @ R549 per month.

200 MINUTES
200 SMSs/MMSs
200 MB + 300MB DATA

MTN MyChoice200 @ R569

200 MINUTES
100 SMSs/MMSs
300MB DATA


Minutes the same. SMS not worried about at all as I don't even use 10 per month. And data Cell C wins out.

So I'd need to decide whether I'd want to port to Cell C for a saving of R20 per month and extra data (by the way an additional 300MB with MTN would cost R40)? Further consideration would be the complaints about Cell C network coverage (perceived or real?) AND the fact I'd need to wait to port as I can upgrade now but am not finished the 24 month term AND the fact that we have no idea when Cell C will get the S5?
 
Last edited:
I played with one briefly at Vodacom World today, cant say that I am blown away by the screen (I am not very sensitive to that type of thing). I do hate the back part less than I thought I would (they had a grey one on display). I dont like the icon based settings menu but I was able to change it back to a category based menu.

All and all I would not mind to have one.
 
Last edited:
I have been reading through the manual and it seems to have some pretty funky features.

In 10 days I should have one :)
 
I have been reading through the manual and it seems to have some pretty funky features.

In 10 days I should have one :)

just got off the phone with vodacom. mine will be delivered on release day, at my office :) wanted a blue one, but they are only out a week later. So I stuck with what I know, black.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X