Samsung Omnia HD - i8910

I have the Omnia HD and I am more impressed with it than the Nokia97 which uses the same OS.

There are a couple of places you can find alternative firmware for your HD but I haven' tried them. They claim improved battery life and picture quality. Some of the official firmware samsungi8910omnia.com (didn't arrive here) included a 3D task manager.

I have tried some new themes, but in general "Precision" is still the best. I just alternate the wallpaper.

The best chat app which cover all chat programs you can think of (including Twitter and Facebook) is Nimbuzz (NimBuzz Website). It is really amazing and you can do Skype calls.
I also downloaded Opera Mobile 10 beta (Opera Mobile) which is a lot better than Opera Mini for some reason (I always loved it on my previous phone but it is struggling on this phone).

Here are some non free (mostly) apps: OmniaHub

This tells you how to add more Widgets, but I can't find it on my phone, so I can only assumed the local firmware has removed it. New Widgets for Samsung HD
 
what connection are you getting on ur i8910?

i seem to only get edge
 
It all depends on your area and 3G coverage. I do get 3G at a lot of places.
 
Thanks, I found the problem, my phone was set to GSM preference instead of to auto. sorted it out now.
 
Excellent. You found any kewl apps for the i8910?
I twittered the SamsungBlog in SA and asked about the ROM and they said that the current version is the latest version and they are not planning a new release. So I am considering an altered rom.
 
mines are an imported phone, so either way i don't have support for the firmware.

I just flashed mine to the latest italian firmware. Doesn't seem to be much of a difference to the one that I had on. Only thing it did do was add on two extra games.
brain challenge and texas hold-em
 
The app site is useless. It is mostly for the Omnia phones with Windows Mobile on, not Symbian. Thanks Samsung.

Was the firmware change easy? I want to change mine too. For some reason my phone gets confused with my contacts' details. Swopping phone numbers around and telling me incorrect people send me smss. Really fun when a sexy message goes to a family member and not your girlfriend.
 
I think the SA phones are not branded anyway.

This is more for updating the firmware. I have no support in SA as its imported so I upgrade my phone using this method.
 
SA phones can get branded (Vodacom is notorious for this with their Vodafone branded phones - yuck!) but network locking is illegal in this country.
 
Can anyone please tell me if the 16gb version of the omnia hd is available at autopage coz i ordered one from joburg and it came in a small box saying 8gb on it.
 
Just check, maybe your phone have 8GB and the flash card is an extra 8GB which makes it 16GB.

I have contacted SamsungSA (Twitter is an amazing tool) and they have contacted head office for me and will get back to me regarding the big firmware update which is suppose to be released this month in the UK. If nothing happens, I am flashing mine.
 
Hey AJ, What size internal memory does your phone have and where did u get it from? I have signed a contract with autopage but am awaiting the phone. No one has stock but the store close to me has one 8gb version available. I really want the 16gb version that liberty had gotten. Samsung say that they are dispatching one unit to South Africa, just wondering weather it's the 8 or 16gb. Do you know? Apparantley all phones come with an 8gb card.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X