Samsung Smart TV & Amazon Prime Video

Fredvl

Hi guys!

I've got a bit of a problem, and wondering if anyone else experienced this as well.

I have a Samsung Smart TV 40" H5303. Yeah it's a couple of years old but still works relatively fine.
I've got Netflix and Plex installed and both work fine.
The trouble started when Amazon Prime Video was released in South Africa.

No Amazon app available through the (very disappointing) app store.
Great, so at least the Amazon Video app is available and working on my iPad. I'll just have to watch it off there for now.

So I did some Googling and realised that you can change your country by pressing a combination of buttons on your remote, up comes a country selection menu and the app store would load different apps depending on the country you chose.

Right...

So I pressed the secret combination of keys (MUTE-RETURN-VOLUME UP-CHANNEL UP-MUTE), and voila! I managed to change the country to the U.S. It restarted my Smart Hub and started downloading apps.
And there she was. Amazon Prime Video! I had it, I thought! Finally I can watch old classics like Seinfeld on my T.V and not just my iPad!

So I start Amazon up. No Seinfeld. Everything looks different and I can basically only watch a few shows such as Grand Tour and Man In High Castle. The rest I only have an option to buy or rent.

Right...

So I press the extremely secretive combination of keys again and change my country back to South Africa, thinking at least now I have the Amazon Video app installed on my T.V.

So I go back into Smart hub after selecting South Africa as my country, and I was met with a Smart Hub notification screen telling me it has to download all the apps again. So it starts downloading everything again.
Everything except Amazon Prime Video.

This leads me to believe Samsung has not yet woken up to the fact that we have Amazon Prime Video available in our country yet. They were pretty quick with Netflix, but looks like I'm stuck to watching Amazon on my iPad only.

Has anyone had the same or similar experience? I just want to be able to sit comfortably in my lounge and watch stuff I am paying for.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sensorei

Executive Member
I signed up for a 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime through Amazon UK but forgot to cancel before the 30 days was up, so I got a friendly notification from FNB that R1398 was deducted from my account by Amazon.

Now I'm stuck with a 1 year Prime subscription, but none of my devices support Prime unless I change the country region setting. This was fine for my PS4, but I had to create US account and I don't want to have to use my PS4 to watch stuff.

LG smart TVs are not as easy to switch region as Samsung. You can't use your TV's bundled remote to do it. You need to get a universal or Harmony remote. So I'm still stuck without Amazon on my TV.

Amazon Prime music is also only going to work in South Africa if you own a US or UK credit card.

Hwanano

The Amazon app became available on my TV about two weeks after The Grand Tour started. I signed up for Amazon Prime at $2.99/month.

I have watched The Grand Tour and Mr Robot. Haven't really looked at anything else but the content at this stage is still limited compared to Netflix or Showmax.

WAslayer

Executive Member
way back when you could use dns unblockers to watch us netflix in this country, i changed my samsung region to us to get the netflix app.. left it on us for a year now and havent had issues.. i have used the prime app and while i havent checked, my guess is that they only make prime originals available via the samsung app and not the rental stuff yet..

lived666

Executive Member
I signed up for a 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime through Amazon UK but forgot to cancel before the 30 days was up, so I got a friendly notification from FNB that R1398 was deducted from my account by Amazon.

Now I'm stuck with a 1 year Prime subscription, but none of my devices support Prime unless I change the country region setting. This was fine for my PS4, but I had to create US account and I don't want to have to use my PS4 to watch stuff.

LG smart TVs are not as easy to switch region as Samsung. You can't use your TV's bundled remote to do it. You need to get a universal or Harmony remote. So I'm still stuck without Amazon on my TV.

Amazon Prime music is also only going to work in South Africa if you own a US or UK credit card.
actually amazon will reverse the fees and cancel the prime membership, you can contact them via the online chat

Fredvl

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I spoke to a guy on Amazon chat yesterday and he said:

"12:53 AM PST Amazon: It will be available soon. we are working with the device manufacturers to make an for our international customers based on the country they're located in."

So looks like it's down to us playing the waiting game.
Hopefully they would have made more content available by then.