Sansui WiFi Smart Plugs

grok

Honorary Master
With Sonoff & Shelly officially duking it out for legitimacy in South Africa: :p

Nah, just joking of course, these caught my eye yesterday..

1584093548689.png

I liked them because:
1) sleek & non-oversized (consumer not enthusiast product)
2) accommodating 3-pronged plugs, yay!
2) a self-wiring plug ie. one you attach yourself to control an appliance

'Cos I hate this..

1584093372764.png

So, I grabbed 2 at Incredible to test - they were marked R299 instead but I paid with Ucount rewards.

I must say I am delighted..

Installs in a minute or two:
  • start & register on app
  • check fast blink light or press da button till light blinks fast
  • choose your wireless network & enter the passcode
  • choose device
  • pair.
Can't be easier, instructions in English (with an L)

Apps supports all the usual stuff:
  • Control over the internet
  • Multiple room setup with grouping or individual control
  • Scheduling & countdown timer function
  • Automation scenarios
  • Notifications of activations etc.
  • Family (shared) control (altho my kids would give me 24/7 disco lights if they controlled anything)
  • Alexa, Google, IFTTT & something called Tmall Genie
Check the video:

I would definitely recommend, which I guess is the reason for this post :)

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Interesting product..

Wonder what it is a rebrand of, and whether it can be flashed with Tasmota...

mtlost

Interesting product..

Wonder what it is a rebrand of, and whether it can be flashed with Tasmota...

The app is most probably a re branded tuya smart life app (where you add a device, is the same as smart life), pretty much a guarantee that you'll be able to Tuya convert these.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
What app does it use?

If it’s Tuya based there is a chance it can be flashed.

Not too terribly priced.

Aardvark

Is one able to keep the state of the plug on power on. I can do it with a sonoff. I want the plug to be powered off when the plug is powered up.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Tuya rocks actually.

That's probably the future of smart home.

Thor

Honorary Master
Get the geekit and beeky range they are half the price for the same (if not better) feature set, also compatible with ewelink

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I've got one. Neat little device.

If you want to use it with Alexa you need to use the Smart Life app instead of the Sanui app.
Is one able to keep the state of the plug on power on. I can do it with a sonoff. I want the plug to be powered off when the plug is powered up.
Not that I can see in the app. If it's on when the power goes off it will be on when power is restored.

Thor

Honorary Master
Can one get those locally.
I don't think so - I order it from banggood arrives here in 2 weeks.

I'll do a bulk buy for us when corona ends

also dont forget sonoff (should get this local)

grok

Honorary Master
Sorry guys I'm not up to speed with the smart stuff yet, so can't answer technical questions on Ewelink etc.

I've been looking at Sonoff (& Shelly) due to the discussions in this sub-forum, but for now I just needed to control an up-lighter lamp in my living space.
Came home & le dogs was left in the dark since the old mechanical timers (that did the job for years) couldn't keep up with load-shedding anymore.

So yeah, these were kind-of an impulse buy, and I admit I bought them for aesthetic above all. The wall plugs they go into are exposed so I wanted something smart for the living room not those 2-pronged pyramids as in my OP.
The reason I told everyone is I found them smart, easy & simple to operate.

A part of my ceiling collapsed in Dec, so I'm looking at replacing all the lights in my open plan study, living room, dining area & kitchen, hopefully with smart down-lights as per this thread.

When I started I wanted to put in ordinary down-lights, then I thougth maybe dimmable & when I started looking around, the plethora of options available hit me.
For instance I didn't even know you get smart (wi-fi enabled) GU10 bulbs. Madness! But in a good way.

The bug has bitten so ordinary down-lights are out, but I'm in the dark as to what is possible, and perhaps also what I can afford, for now.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
So yeah, these were kind-of an impulse buy, and I admit I bought them for aesthetic above all. The wall plugs they go into are exposed so I wanted something smart for the living room not those 2-pronged pyramids as in my OP.
I've had a Sansui for a couple of weeks and there's really nothing wrong with it so it wasn't a bad purchase IMHO.

AlmightyBender

Executive Member
Sorry guys I'm not up to speed with the smart stuff yet, so can't answer technical questions on Ewelink etc.

I've been looking at Sonoff (& Shelly) due to the discussions in this sub-forum, but for now I just needed to control an up-lighter lamp in my living space.
Came home & le dogs was left in the dark since the old mechanical timers (that did the job for years) couldn't keep up with load-shedding anymore.

A part of my ceiling collapsed in Dec, so I'm looking at replacing all the lights in my open plan study, living room, dining area & kitchen, hopefully with smart down-lights as per this thread.

When I started I wanted to put in ordinary down-lights, then I thougth maybe dimmable & when I started looking around, the plethora of options available hit me.
For instance I didn't even know you get smart (wi-fi enabled) GU10 bulbs. Madness! But in a good way.

The bug has bitten so ordinary down-lights are out, but I'm in the dark as to what is possible, and perhaps also what I can afford, for now.
Nooice!

Welcome to the cult where members see a collapsed ceiling as an opportunity instead of an annoyance :)

SmuGS

Expert Member
Bought two of these plugs yesterday and I like them, easy to set up and operate. See it's rated at 10 amps too.