Sansui WiFi Smart Plugs

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Should be,they are Tuya based,Smartlifehome app integrates with Google

wilbur

Currently R119 at HiFi Corp. Just ordered a couple for delivery to test out, no stock at my local stores.

1603968045224.png

Last edited:

HermanG

The plug on sale at IC is the YSP2. So the re-wire version of the plug. Just make sure that's what you want.

jpwes

Hi, cant comnect when using Rain 5 G it is set to 2.4ghz but still not connecting. When using my phones mobile hotspot I can connect. Any suggestions please?

plasma-123_fire

Hi there,

I hope this message finds you all well.
I am not sure whether this was asked, but what is the rating and specifications of the Sansui WiFi Smart plug and Smart Re-wire plug. Does the re-wire plug still function like a normal re-wire plug when there is no wifi? Same with the plug. Thanks so much! Kind regards.

grok

Honorary Master
Hi there,

I hope this message finds you all well.
I am not sure whether this was asked, but what is the rating and specifications of the Sansui WiFi Smart plug and Smart Re-wire plug. Does the re-wire plug still function like a normal re-wire plug when there is no wifi? Same with the plug. Thanks so much! Kind regards.

Sorry for the wait, I was cleaning out my garage over the weekend so I dug these up to show you the specs:

Says on the box, both 220V 10A, Google & Alexa enabled.

sansui plugs.jpg

The stickers on the bottom right says LED indicator light - its those silver shiny ones that don't photograph well even with 3 cameras & 80mp or something to spare lol.

I can't vouch for no wifi - mine is always on even with loadshedding - but then none of the plugs have juice :confused:
They reconnect automatically after loadshedding & you have a manual button if you want to override the app.
I'll experiment later when wifi is idle (never!) 'cos I'm still working on VPN & have mild anxiety over being offline.

These are still the most aesthetically pleasing of all the smart plugs I've seen.
(I'm traumatized by growing up with this 2 point plug hell)

1605713632026.png

I'm awaiting delivery of another 5 from Incredible, ordered for family as well, my one daughter just wants to automate her Xmas tree lights lol.

Hope this helps..

plasma-123_fire

Sorry for the wait, I was cleaning out my garage over the weekend so I dug these up to show you the specs:

Says on the box, both 220V 10A, Google & Alexa enabled.

View attachment 955359

The stickers on the bottom right says LED indicator light - its those silver shiny ones that don't photograph well even with 3 cameras & 80mp or something to spare lol.

I can't vouch for no wifi - mine is always on even with loadshedding - but then none of the plugs have juice :confused:
They reconnect automatically after loadshedding & you have a manual button if you want to override the app.
I'll experiment later when wifi is idle (never!) 'cos I'm still working on VPN & have mild anxiety over being offline.

These are still the most aesthetically pleasing of all the smart plugs I've seen.
(I'm traumatized by growing up with this 2 point plug hell)

View attachment 955405

I'm awaiting delivery of another 5 from Incredible, ordered for family as well, my one daughter just wants to automate her Xmas tree lights lol.

Hope this helps..
Hi grok,

Thank you for your response and the pictures! It is much appreciated.

I see, so it is rated 220V 10A. By chance what is the rated wattage both can handle or deliver? I checked that most of my appliances are rated at 220-240V 16A. So I am not sure if it could work or is a good idea to rewire my mom's old oil heater, which is rated 1500W, 220-240V 16A. Will the plug or adapter burn out? I don't want my household to be set ablaze. I have no idea. Please kindly advise.

To further add, the reason why I asked if the rewire plug or adapter, can still function like a normal one in a no wifi situation, is that- lets say you brought your ie. hair dryer or some portable appliance to a friend's house or another place where it is out of your wifi's range and domain, will the appliances still function normally? On or off manually? I read that you mentioned an override button, can you explain what it actually does? Does it reset it to factory settings or switch it off? I don't want to be in a situation where I plug the appliance in a socket somewhere, and it suddenly turns on, which could be dangerous. Does replugging and plugging it in, reset the state or restore its previous one? Please kindly advise.

Yeah, I got rid of most of that two way adaptor depicted in your picture as I deemed it bad and dangerous to people. Like I do understand why they would have designed it like that, but still.....damm

I am so sorry if I am asking these questions as I am new to this smart ecosystem and slowly building it up (& trying to convince more friends and my parents to invest in this).

Many thanks in advance. Kind regards.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Hi grok,

Thank you for your response and the pictures! It is much appreciated.

I see, so it is rated 220V 10A. By chance what is the rated wattage both can handle or deliver? I checked that most of my appliances are rated at 220-240V 16A. So I am not sure if it could work or is a good idea to rewire my mom's old oil heater, which is rated 1500W, 220-240V 16A. Will the plug or adapter burn out? I don't want my household to be set ablaze. I have no idea. Please kindly advise.

To further add, the reason why I asked if the rewire plug or adapter, can still function like a normal one in a no wifi situation, is that- lets say you brought your ie. hair dryer or some portable appliance to a friend's house or another place where it is out of your wifi's range and domain, will the appliances still function normally? On or off manually? I read that you mentioned an override button, can you explain what it actually does? Does it reset it to factory settings or switch it off? I don't want to be in a situation where I plug the appliance in a socket somewhere, and it suddenly turns on, which could be dangerous. Does replugging and plugging it in, reset the state or restore its previous one? Please kindly advise.

Yeah, I got rid of most of that two way adaptor depicted in your picture as I deemed it bad and dangerous to people. Like I do understand why they would have designed it like that, but still.....damm

I am so sorry if I am asking these questions as I am new to this smart ecosystem and slowly building it up (& trying to convince more friends and my parents to invest in this).

Many thanks in advance. Kind regards.
Bad idea to use these things for a heater. The voltage in SA varies way more than 250V and 10 Amp is far too low for a 1500W heater element.

plasma-123_fire

Bad idea to use these things for a heater. The voltage in SA varies way more than 250V and 10 Amp is far too low for a 1500W heater element.
Hi there,
Thanks for your message. I see, so it is a bad idea. So what can one use these adaptors and rewire plugs for, when nearly all the appliances are rated at 220V-240V at 16A? My lampshade is even 16A....thank you.

R4m80

Hi there,
Thanks for your message. I see, so it is a bad idea. So what can one use these adaptors and rewire plugs for, when nearly all the appliances are rated at 220V-240V at 16A? My lampshade is even 16A....thank you.
Wattage is calculate as W=Volts x Amps, so theoretically 240V x 10A = 2400W. That means the Sansui plugs can handle 2400W. Give and take a 10% safety margin, 2100W should be the safe limit of these plugs.

The plugs will still work no matter where you plug them in. They have a manual on/off switch on them. They just won't work with the app if they are not on the WiFi network they were set up with.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Wattage is calculate as W=Volts x Amps, so theoretically 240V x 10A = 2400W. That means the Sansui plugs can handle 2400W. Give and take a 10% safety margin, 2100W should be the safe limit of these plugs.

The plugs will still work no matter where you plug them in. They have a manual on/off switch on them. They just won't work with the app if they are not on the WiFi network they were set up with.
More like a 25% safety margin on a heating circuit.
And you should use a the lower voltage limit in your calculation.
But, go ahead, use these mickey mouse solutions in your quest for everything to be WiFi controlled.
Your risk, your home and your life.

gbyleveldt

There are many many examples of guys using something like the Sonoff POW in very high current applications, like a geyser, where these go up in flames. This is rated at 15A and a 3kW geyser draws just under that where theoretically it should allow for 3.6kW (their spec actually state max 3kW), yet they still go *poof*

These units aren't suitable for high current loads, exactly as @Geoff.D has now stated repeatedly. What do you expect for a R200 Wifi enabled plug? You don't think these things are made to a price?

If you want a high current capable Wifi switch, look at the CBI Astute range. When looking, compare how ruggedly the CBI is built vs the cheap wifi switches. I have many threads on here where I've opened various wifi switches, so I have a pretty good idea what can handle high current and what can't

R4m80

More like a 25% safety margin on a heating circuit.
And you should use a the lower voltage limit in your calculation.
But, go ahead, use these mickey mouse solutions in your quest for everything to be WiFi controlled.
Your risk, your home and your life.
Wow, slow down on the coffee. I don't use those plugs. I was just trying to explain to someone a little about wattage. If you know so much, why didn't you answer him instead of attacking me for giving someone some info.