Sonic2k

Executive Member
*claps hands*
And what happens next time the cable breaks?

Yotch

Expert Member
Hopefully this will result in cheaper end user bandwidth costs!

JStrike

Honorary Master
EASSY
WACS
SAT3
SAFE

Not unless Telkom drastically reduces IPC costs, IPC makes up the majority of the cost to deliver ADSL to an end user.

It might help reduce costs for FTTx and Wireless

entrepr

Expert Member
That's very impressive and CTO's should get someone from marketing to add some "what's in it for me" benefit to such messages. That's what we really want to read about.

Reduced latency would always help

JStrike

Honorary Master
That's very impressive and CTO's should get someone from marketing to add some "what's in it for me" benefit to such messages. That's what we really want to read about.

Reduced latency would always help

Why? SEACOM is a B2B company. Their clients are other companies, not randomUser123 from MyBB :)

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
What does this mean for the man on the street (usually lying on the pavement with his head bashed in and his wallet and cellphone stolen)?

abandonallhope

Expert Member

Arthur

Honorary Master
Just cast your mind back to the dark days when all we had was one pipe, with Pos en Telekommunikasie as the sole local provider.

Thanks, Seacom!

AndrewAlston

Group Head of IP Strategy – Liquid Telecommunicati
Just a note... read this very carefully to see what is actually being said...

Seacom announced in a press release on Monday, 12 May 2014, that it has deployed the Infinera DTN-X platform across its terrestrial network that provides services to the African continent.

From that statement, this does not actually increase capacity on the end to end system, the submarine section of the cable remains at what it was, this simply increases the backhaul capacity from the landing station.

Could be wrong here, and if so someone can correct me, but the article is slightly misleading if what I'm reading there is correct