Server hosting bandwidth pricing comparison

Prof.Merlin

Expert Member
yay ossum!

we got 3 of our own servers there. wonder how it would affect us. we use around 200gigs a month

Dan C

Honorary Master
Not a bad offering IMO, but still lite on traffic ... :(

ChrisJ

Traffic still a bit low, we pushed about 350gb last month on one of our servers at Mweb and to think we were paying R50/gb at IS this time last year. Interesting as a failover server to our primary at Mweb. Mweb also provide us with 100gb of Attix 5 backups and a dedicated Cisco firewall for a nominal fee, much better than the FTP backups Afrihost provide.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Traffic still a bit low, we pushed about 350gb last month on one of our servers at Mweb and to think we were paying R50/gb at IS this time last year. Interesting as a failover server to our primary at Mweb. Mweb also provide us with 100gb of Attix 5 backups and a dedicated Cisco firewall for a nominal fee, much better than the FTP backups Afrihost provide.

What's the Mweb hosting like? Their uncapped ADSL gets better and better every month, you can almost hear them shaping less and less as time goes on and they reach critical mass... are their server offerings as good?

Grep

As much as I use Afrihost for most of my needs, hosting has become a disaster. If you want to host a few static pages and don't mind downtime maybe every second week for a few hours, go for it, but don't use it for a corporate CMS or something along those lines. And one other thing, don't rely on their backups to be up to date.

ChrisJ

What's the Mweb hosting like? Their uncapped ADSL gets better and better every month, you can almost hear them shaping less and less as time goes on and they reach critical mass... are their server offerings as good?

We have been very happy with then in the 7 months we have been using. Setup took a while but we did order the main server just before Christmas and we also wanted in the CPT data centre incase of problems. The only issue is their lack of peering with SAIX but we have yet to hear a complaint from any users. Speed wise, I have managed to pull about 85Mbit/s from the server myself and still seen other requests handled, so I don't think there are any capacity issues. Our account manager is also far superior to our account manager at IS. Mweb's tech support also seems to be a bit more on the ball than IS.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
We have been very happy with then in the 7 months we have been using. Setup took a while but we did order the main server just before Christmas and we also wanted in the CPT data centre incase of problems. The only issue is their lack of peering with SAIX but we have yet to hear a complaint from any users. Speed wise, I have managed to pull about 85Mbit/s from the server myself and still seen other requests handled, so I don't think there are any capacity issues. Our account manager is also far superior to our account manager at IS. Mweb's tech support also seems to be a bit more on the ball than IS.

Good to know - we currently host a rack at IS in Durban; with Teraco setting up a datacenter here, and Mweb laying their own fat pipes into the datacenter, we should be able to rent a Teraco rack (<R10k for 47U) and then buy the bandwidth from Mweb. Teraco has a sterling co-location record, and with Mweb coming to the party with unlimited bandwidth delivered TO YOUR RACK in the datacenter, Teraco's free peering into the local INX, things are looking pretty good - you're right, a year ago I wouldn't have believed how far hosting would have come. It's certainly progressed a lot faster than consumer ADSL, and that hasn't done so badly itself!