Set Up Amazon Echo In SA

TimTDP

Expert Member
How do I set up an Amazon Echo in South Africa?
It appears that I need the Amazon Alexa app installed on my Samsung phone, but the app isn't available in SA:crying:
Thanks

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
It appears that I need the Amazon Alexa app installed on my Samsung phone, but the app isn't available in SA:crying:
Thanks
I have Alexa on my Fire HD.
These Amazon devices are a bit confusing to understand, even if it is running on Android...

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Thanks
You can access the web app at http://alexa.amazon.com

Make sure you are on the same wifi network and then you will be able to control your Echo.

Another way is to change the country/region on your play store account to US and then download the Alexa app. I had to do that to the App Store on my iPhone.

A bit of schlep but that's the only way for South Africans.

Hemps

Honorary Master
I got bored with my Echo, still seems doff speaking to this thing, most I get out of it is asking about the weather.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
I got bored with my Echo, still seems doff speaking to this thing, most I get out of it is asking about the weather.
Use it as a radio and alarm.

There are other uses but for now that's all I use mine for.

lowriderza

Expert Member
Well so far I've set it up for the normal stuff as well as linking it up to Spotify and linked it to my Outlook so it can give me calendar updates. The best app however is one where Alexa will ask my wife something and Alex will always respond in the affirmative :laugh:

GrasKarp

What amazon device do you have?

We use the Dot for shopping list, lights, music, alarms(cooking), animal sounds :)

@lowriderza how do you setup outlook? can I setup google calendar?

lowriderza

Expert Member
What amazon device do you have?

We use the Dot for shopping list, lights, music, alarms(cooking), animal sounds :)

@lowriderza how do you setup outlook? can I setup google calendar?
I have the echo dot.

I set it up via a browser, but I would suggest downloading the APK via apkpure.com, go into settings>communication&email and selecting Google account. I see you can add an Apple account as well.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I cannot find the app on the South African play store, might as well just get the amazon apk then right?
It's an APK, yes ... but should be on that link posted.

If you search 'Amazon' in the store, you get shopping and video etc ... but not the Amazon App store. Even Amazon say you need to go to the site, from your mobile and get the APK

darmurray1

I am living in the US and want to send an Echo to my parents in SA (selling on bidorbuy and incredible connection) They are technically challenged, so does anybody know of an IT or similar company who who would be able to assist them with downloading and installing this at their home in Pretoria? Would want it to be a reputable business.

eehellfire

Executive Member
Thanks
You need to sideload the app

Tander

Executive Member
On Android you download the apk and on iOS you make a US store account.
Things have changed I see. You had to have US CC details before to do this. But tried it again now with a new account and it worked.

Nice!

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
Things have changed I see. You had to have US CC details before to do this. But tried it again now with a new account and it worked.

Nice!
When is the last time you tried, I've had my US account with no CC details since 2010.