Shocking Service Wakkerstroom

ITCONSULTANT

Over the long weekend we travelled to Wakkerstroom for my 40th birthday. We stayed at the Wetlands Resort and when we arrived I was pleasantly surprised to find that my phone displayed full signal. What transpired was an absolute joke. You could not make calls effectively, sms's did not arrive on time, data was so erratic I just decided to forget about the outside world for the weekend. I had a chat with the owners of the resort and they tell me the town has had this problem now for 6 months and Vodacom cannot fix the problem. How does one go about getting this resolved as calling the help desk does not seem to work.n Imagine trying to do internet banking and your OTP SMS never arrives and you have to drive 70KM out of town to get connected when you already have a tower 500m away. Can anyone give me an exact reason for the ongoing problem?

saor

Honorary Master
How often are you actually planning on going there?
Usually when there's no signal at a place it's just part of the adventure and you deal with it.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Think of the tower as a WiFi AP, you can have wifi without any internet.

Its the backhaul that is stuffed, or the switches.

ITCONSULTANT

Maybe they don't use vodascum because of the pathetic service?

Precisely but they are stuck in contract. Apparently their gate motor/intercom can only use a Vodacom SIM so that would require an additional upgrade to change to MTN as well.

marioat1

Expert Member
Precisely but they are stuck in contract. Apparently their gate motor/intercom can only use a Vodacom SIM so that would require an additional upgrade to change to MTN as well.
I'm in pretoria northern suburbia and had same problem. Changed gate system to mtn sim, yep the change was costly last year, but now it's working properly

Venomous

Honorary Master
Exactly but how to get this resolved for the guys?
There is either faulty equipment in the tower or over subscription in the area(though being far out this would be less likely.)

The locals will have to keep reporting the problem over and over again until VC fiiiiiiiinally listens and send correct tech staff out.

ITCONSULTANT

There is either faulty equipment in the tower or over subscription in the area(though being far out this would be less likely.)

The locals will have to keep reporting the problem over and over again until VC fiiiiiiiinally listens and send correct tech staff out.

That is the plan. You would think a whole town complaining for 6 months would be enough!!

Venomous

Honorary Master
That is the plan. You would think a whole town complaining for 6 months would be enough!!
I live in typical subburbia and it took 2 years before VC admitted their tower kept "falling over" and also damaging components before VC was prepared to admit it. Was due to congestion. And only then did they start the planning for another tower. That took 2 years again and then procuring and building took another year.
Best bet is to get access to a technical support senior person that has brain function. This will be a looooooooong drawn out story and will likely be slower as VC tower probably has damaged/malfunctioning components. Not likely to be seen as a priority. Funds best spent in higher density areas(which get slow attention already)

ITCONSULTANT

I live in typical subburbia and it took 2 years before VC admitted their tower kept "falling over" and also damaging components before VC was prepared to admit it. Was due to congestion. And only then did they start the planning for another tower. That took 2 years again and then procuring and building took another year.
Best bet is to get access to a technical support senior person that has brain function. This will be a looooooooong drawn out story and will likely be slower as VC tower probably has damaged/malfunctioning components. Not likely to be seen as a priority. Funds best spent in higher density areas(which get slow attention already)

This is not good news :-( Moving from MTN to Vodascum has been the worst decision I have made in a long time.

Ivanr

Expert Member
Over the long weekend we travelled to Wakkerstroom for my 40th birthday. We stayed at the Wetlands Resort and when we arrived I was pleasantly surprised to find that my phone displayed full signal. What transpired was an absolute joke. You could not make calls effectively, sms's did not arrive on time, data was so erratic I just decided to forget about the outside world for the weekend. I had a chat with the owners of the resort and they tell me the town has had this problem now for 6 months and Vodacom cannot fix the problem. How does one go about getting this resolved as calling the help desk does not seem to work.n Imagine trying to do internet banking and your OTP SMS never arrives and you have to drive 70KM out of town to get connected when you already have a tower 500m away. Can anyone give me an exact reason for the ongoing problem?
@ITCONSULTANT- Putting energy into resolving/reporting the issues serves all positively. Please communicate this answer to the Wetlands Resort.
The response from Vodacom:-
QUOTE:-Thank you for your correspondence to the CEO's office.
We are very aware of the ongoing issues in Wakkerstroom, these issues are Telkom related.

We are reliant on Telkom for the site in Wakkerstroom. Once the new site outside of Wakkerstroom is built, the current site in Wakkerstroom will go on self-provide (i.e. on Vodacoms's network) and this will eliminate the need for the Telkom tower.

The projected time frame for the new site is November 2018.

There are Telkom failures almost weekly in Wakkerstroom and our team monitor the Wakkerstroom site daily and contact Telkom immediately to resolve the problems.

We do understand the customers frustrations and we are working diligently to resolve the last Telkom failure.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that has been caused and we trust that you find the above in order. UNQUOTE.