Sim swap on a contract

Kat2016

I got a phone from a friend but it needs a nano sim, and I currently have a micro sim.
What documentation do I need to bring with me to get a sim swap?
It is a contract phone, so not sure if it will need to be rica'd?
I tried phoning several vodacom stores to ask, but no one is answering, lol.

Jola

Honorary Master
Just cut it with a pair of scissors.
I have done a few with no problems as yet.

Kat2016

Just cut it with a pair of scissors.
I have done a few with no problems as yet.

Oh I didn't know that was an option??? I'd be keen to try that - if I screw it up I can always just get the sim swap anyway right?

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
If you are on contract, don't forget that you can't buy a prepaid sim for R0.50 and do a sim swap. No, you have to go get a sim card from the network store (exactly the same sim as the prepaid) but you have to pay R80 or R90 for the privilege.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
My mom lost her Telkom Mobile, can I go to town and do it on her behalf?

Kat2016

I googled a template for cutting my micro sim into a nano sim and did it tonight and it worked! I was planning on going to vodacom for the swap tomorrow so I am so happy I don't have to anymore, and that I can save a hundred bucks ;)
It was actually super easy and I didn't even need to sand down the plastic part - I would highly recommend it to anyone who is in the same position.
Thanks for the help and pointing me in the direction!

Kat2016

My mom lost her Telkom Mobile, can I go to town and do it on her behalf?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can, provided you take a copy of her ID and maybe a letter saying she gives you permission to do this. Is it a contract phone?

Kat2016

Yea, if the contract is in her name I think you will need her written permission to do a sim swap..

chadlee

I have a contract cellphone currently and im with mtn but I feel my data is going extremely quick can I call for a sim swap with mtn but but does that mean I lose my data every month with mtn and does my payment per month still continue

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
Wow, you got all that out in one breath?

MTN contract sims can only be obtained from an MTN store. They are exactly like the pre paid ones you get at Pep for R1, but expect to pay R120. they will explain everything to you. You will need your ID.