simplest way to set up shared folder

silkman

Expert Member
I have added a pc onto my router. I can access the internet fine on both pc's .
1) what is the easiest way to set up shared folders between the 2 pc's.
2) can I transfer large files between the 2 pc's
3) will the transfer between the 2 pc's count towards my cap?

thanks

ColinR

Expert Member
a) Create folder.
b) Right Click, Sharing.

2. yes
3. no

pleasure

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
I'm stunned .... you can setup two PCs on a network both capable of accessing the internet, yet you dont know file share ? What has happened to:

1 Start
2 Help and Support
3 Search
4 "Share"
5 Read results

Keeper

Honorary Master
select "just enable sharing" when asked at the folders properties.

Juggy

Executive Member
I'm stunned .... you can setup two PCs on a network both capable of accessing the internet, yet you dont know file share ? What has happened to:

1 Start
2 Help and Support
3 Search
4 "Share"
5 Read results
That's a bit nasty, the forum is here to help not kuk people out because they can't do certain things.

Th3NaRRoW

I suggest also creating a shortcut to the folder on the desktop of both PC's. Will make life a little easier than having to go into your network places.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
That's a bit nasty, the forum is here to help not kuk people out because they can't do certain things.
I know that, but just once in a while .... Its easier to push start and look through MS built in help than to actually log into a forumn, write a question and wait for a response??

I apologize to the OP for the indirect nasty feel of my response. But it is kinda an RTFM question.... ;)

yeah ... kind of in a mood today - got my flippin foot in a cast thanx to a misplaced footing!

Last edited:

LazerFazer

1 Start
2 Help and Support
3 Search
4 "Share"
5 Read results
Come on, that's not fair. Plugging in a PC to a router and activating file sharing are two completely different things. And setting up the file sharing is much more technical than connecting two PC's to a router, wouldn't you agree?

As for the original query, as people have said, right click on the folder to share, go to properties, go to the sharing tab, and enable the 'share this folder' or something similar to that. Also, you might need to configure your firewall to allow file sharing.

Transferring big files between the two PC's will then be a matter of typing the name of the other computer preceded with two backslashes (eg: \\ComputerTwo , where ComputerTwo is the name of the other computer. The name can be found by right clicking on My Computer, going to properties, then checking under computer name) and it won't count towards your cap.

Good luck

silkman

Expert Member

1 Start
2 Help and Support
3 Search
4 "Share"
5 Read results
look dude no one forced u to reply to this post- if u don't wanna help don't. If I knew how to set it up, I wouldn't need to ask!

ColinR

Expert Member
This also depends on your operating system, give it a go, and shout if you don't come right.

techead

Honorary Master
slightly off topic here, but windows 7 sharing was a complete nightmare when I first installed it.. all the homegroup stuff with a generated key etc etc

I didnt read all the help, and got myself in a royal mess! :D

then figured out you can also use the right-click method and share like normal... just thought Id save someone else some pain! ;)

ColinR

Expert Member
slightly off topic here, but windows 7 sharing was a complete nightmare when I first installed it.. all the homegroup stuff with a generated key etc etc

I didnt read all the help, and got myself in a royal mess! :D

then figured out you can also use the right-click method and share like normal... just thought Id save someone else some pain! ;)
Windows has 7 made it really simple, basic sharing is a single click away.

silkman

Expert Member
thanks to everyone..everything set up and working A-OK!!
@IRG. hope ur foot gets better dude next time RTFM on walking ;)