Sites Cached on Saix Local

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
ATI and Intel also loads. Weird.

Bombs out when one tries to d/l a driver though.

ETA: If you trace it back, it gives the same IP as the place I d/l DirectX from:

a961.g.akamai.net [165.165.39.139]

Last edited:

Senast

I just downloaded the latest nvidia drivers from the site and I'm capped at this moment.

Syndyre

Honorary Master
ATI and Intel also loads. Weird.

Bombs out when one tries to d/l a driver though.

ETA: If you trace it back, it gives the same IP as the place I d/l DirectX from:

a961.g.akamai.net [165.165.39.139]

Akamai have local servers so maybe it redirects to those and that's why it works?

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Syndyre said:
Akamai have local servers so maybe it redirects to those and that's why it works?
Sounds about right. I wish there was a way to figure out what sites are cached though.

Senast said:
I just downloaded the latest nvidia drivers from the site and I'm capped at this moment.
Sorry, I meant the ATI one.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Cool link Syndyre.

So far:
Nasa.gov
bmw.com
nbc.com
ati.com
nvidia.com
intel.com
amd.com
audi.com
philips.com
cnbc.com
nyse.com
sonyericsson.com
appriver.com (useless)
defenselink.mil (Dept of Defense)
dsc.discovery.com (Discovery channel)
af.mil (Air Force)
foxnews.com
logitech.com
bankrate.com
ericsson.com
mtv.com
monster.com

Downloads don't work for the most part.

Last edited:

qinglung

Expert Member
I always wondered why I could download the Heroes graphic novels from the NBC.com site on my local account :D

TheLoot

Just confirmed this one, downloads from trials.adobe.com work through local accounts :)

For example, if you wanted a trial version of Photoshop CS3 Extended (in English for Windows) you could click on this link http://trials.adobe.com/Applications/Photoshop/CS3/Win/ADBEPHSPCS3_WWE.exe and download it with a local account...

You can't browse www.adobe.com with local account though, so you'll need some international bandwidth to get the links ;)

Last edited:

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
if on local only, what happens when you set your proxy to cache.saix.net:8080 ?

milomak

Honorary Master

would be great if the answer to that was what we wanted it to be. btw when using cache.saix.net:8080 as a proxy, is it a v4 or v5?

TheLoot

You get a forbidden message :p It's like that if you use any of the SAIX proxies on a local-only account, well for me at least...

fragtion

Expert Member
Those sites are all on the 165.165.0.0/24 IP range. TelkomInternet also has a subnet within that IP subnet; they were obviously too lazy to add just their portion of the subnet and rather added the whole 165.165.*.* which is why we're able to access these sites.
Somehow I dont expect this to be the case for much longer.. whenever a window of potentially vulnerable opportunity opens up in this country, consumers milk it and exploit it so badly that it all gets limited. That's why we dont have uncapped internet, and that's why we don't have bottomless cokes at restaurants, etc. South Africans only know how to abuse... It's a pity though, because then the rest of us suffer.

medicnick83

Paramedic
How do you get access to this 'feature' (if so to speak)
Is this done via the 'proxy' setting?

Those sites are all on the 165.165.0.0/24 IP range. TelkomInternet also has a subnet within that IP subnet; they were obviously too lazy to add just their portion of the subnet and rather added the whole 165.165.*.* which is why we're able to access these sites.
Somehow I dont expect this to be the case for much longer.. whenever a window of potentially vulnerable opportunity opens up in this country, consumers milk it and exploit it so badly that it all gets limited. That's why we dont have uncapped internet, and that's why we don't have bottomless cokes at restaurants, etc. South Africans only know how to abuse... It's a pity though, because then the rest of us suffer.

Bollocks... It's because of the high internet prices, people want VALUE out of their money

fragtion

Expert Member
Bollocks... It's because of the high internet prices, people want VALUE out of their money
I know of people who rape several hacked accounts a month and consume over 150GB on each. I'm sure that's value for THEIR money.

milomak

Honorary Master
the manner in which South African broadband users conduct their surfing habits is a direct result of our internet access costs being far too prohibitive and out of line with world standards.