Smartphones and the SMS

Kosmik

Honorary Master
From sending up to about 100 sms a month , I now send maybe 1-2 max.

SMS is resilient no question but I think it's because of its growth now as a usable medium for data transactions for phones that do not have extensive gprs type data capabilities: SMS banking, games, gambling, services etc. I think that the days of sms being the primary keeping in contact with friends medium is definitely over.

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
SMS is a great service, but it's also how cellular services in this country rip us off! 160 bytes of data for 40-75c is daylight robbery in my opinion.

TJ99

Honorary Master
SMS is ubiquitous and comes pre-installed on all phones – 4.2 billion people actively use SMS according to market watcher Tomi Ahonen. You know the recipient will be able to receive an SMS and be able to respond to you. Compare this to smartphones – according to research from online market company, Compete Inc, 27% of owners have never downloaded and installed an application, including MIM applications, on their smartphone.
This is the real reason why it's still being used. Not because SMS is such an awesome technology (a whole 160 characters, wow), or because people are happy to be raped by the insane costs. It doesn't help if I've got a nice top-of-the-line smartphone with more power than a laptop had a few years ago, if the other guy is still using an old-skool Nokia 3310 or something. (Thanks old people). Or, what more frequently happens, the other person has a nice smartphone, but is too retarded to use it properly and install a nice messaging app.

Then finally, the problem with IM clients is they need to be connected all the time, so even if you're not receiving messages, you're racking up the (much less insane, but still far too high) data bill and draining your battery quickly.

mmsimanga

Whilst I spend more time sending instant messaging (IM), my mother has only just reached the point of being comfortable with sending SMS messages (she loves them). I guess that is where they are able to sustain their numbers. Not everyone is going to understand or take to IM immediately.

Juice

Expert Member
WHATSAPP!! :)

I've dramatically decreased my SMS volumes, but am still forced to SMS those few people who can't or won't get a MIM, in my case WHATSAPP.

I'm just happy that I don't still have to pay 70c for EVERY message I send...

Juice

Maddmatt

Expert Member
I would love to be able to just IM everyone but my friends mostly have crap phones, or those stupid Blackberries and they wont use anything other than BBM on it.

K

kingrob

I would love to be able to just IM everyone but my friends mostly have crap phones, or those stupid Blackberries and they wont use anything other than BBM on it.
Your BB friends can download whatsapp from the BB market. I use it with all my cheapskate BB friends.

McT

The Humble Scot!
I have drastically cut the number text messages I send. Email or WhatsApp on my Android OS phone for me.

Antonf

Expert Member
Iused to have a 500 SMS bundle. Now I don't send more than 30 per month - too expensive!