Smartphones to watch in 2011

Maddmatt

Expert Member
You missed the LG Optimus 2X. Another dual core monster with an excellent quality screen.

The Motorola Atrix looks awesome with it's docking system that turns it into a portable Linux PC. But Motorola lock down their phones to prevent custom firmware, which makes me want to avoid them.

Budza

Executive Member
Damn. S2 sounds great. Looks aren't that great though...

I'm about to get my DesireHD. Kinda hoping I'll be able to have it last through two upgrade cycles before I need to upgrade again.

Cube

You missed the LG Optimus 2X. Another dual core monster with an excellent quality screen.

The Motorola Atrix looks awesome with it's docking system that turns it into a portable Linux PC. But Motorola lock down their phones to prevent custom firmware, which makes me want to avoid them.
Have you seen the Full HD recording quality of the LG 2X? Quite dissapointing. The N8 (720P) outperforms it. Pointless having the hardware if you don't know what to do with it.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/can-your-phone-record-1080p-video-the-lg-optimus-2x-does/

Last edited:

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
All of which will be over-shadowed by the unmentioned iPhone 5 (like it or not).

SupaMonkey

All of which will be over-shadowed by the unmentioned iPhone 5 (like it or not).
Yeah, I was just about to post something similar. Wtf - not even a mention of iPhone 5?
Especially now they've made a CDMA version, its going to take over the world (yes, I realise this doesnt affect us) :p

Maddmatt

Expert Member
Have you seen the Full HD recording quality of the LG 2X? Quite dissapointing. The N8 (720P) outperforms it. Pointless having the hardware if you don't know what to do with it.
They all suck at HD video compared to the N8 really. Even my SGS that does 720p, the result looks crap and the sound quality is horrendous so I just set it to 480p for the very rare moments when I actually use it.

Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmIaf2787O4&feature=player_embedded

Wait what? That's damn good quality compared to other phones. Miles ahead of the joke 720p my Galaxy S does. Maybe not as good as the N8 but then the N8 was made to have the best camera above all.

Last edited:

McT

The Humble Scot!
Samsung Galaxy S2

This is the company to watch in 2011.
I was a little nervous that I'd made a mistake getting my Samsung Galaxy S, but in hindsight, it was the best decision I could've made at the time. Looking forward to seeing what the S2 brings to the table.

K

kingrob

Very happy with my HTC Desire HD.

Curious to see what the iPhone 5 will bring, but after hearing the specs for the iPad 2, we're all in for a treat. 2011 will be a great year for smartphones.

iPad 2 specs from Apple Insider :

- dual-core SGX543 graphics, up from the A4's single SGX535 GPU (also known as the PowerVR 535).....basically 4X the graphics power of the current generation
- 1080p HDMI video output

*Would love to have a Motorola Atrix, but let's first see what Samsung and HTC will announce.

quik1

So how does the N8 compare to these phones. I want one so badly but vodacom doesnt have any stock.

TJ99

Honorary Master
The Galaxy S2 and (maybe) the Moto are they only ones there worth mentioning. Although I wish they'd name the screen something else, it's getting a bit silly now. The Galaxy S3 will probably have a Super Ultra Exxxtreme AMOLED Plus Mega Awesome2TheMax screen then...

But this part:

Another company that struggled in 2010, Nokia is planning on releasing its E7 early this year. Unlike many of the smartphones coming onto the market, the E7 will run Symbian, Nokia's own operating system, which has struggled to make headway in the market.
Just no. Symbian is not Nokia's own OS. They might own it now, after all the other partners have pulled out or been buyed out, but they certainly didn't create it. And it's still the most common smartphone OS out there, and has been since the early 2000's. It's about to change soon, but for the time being it still is. In fact, from Wikipedia:

On 16 November 2006, the 100 millionth smartphone running the OS was shipped.[31] As of 21 July 2009, more than 250 million devices running Symbian OS had been shipped.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
So how does the N8 compare to these phones. I want one so badly but vodacom doesnt have any stock.
the E7 is ver much like the N8 except it has a 8 megapixel fixed focus camera. Nokia has been trying hard to convince people that this is a new kind of fixed focus camera and that it will not be that bad. I guess we'll have to wait and see the review on GSM Arena. It certainly does look like a very good alternative for the N8.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Nokia still clinging to Symbian? Bleh! Why dont they just switch to Android? The only two operating systems I would like to see in the market is Blackberry OS (very excited when they move to Linux QNX) and Android. The rest must just die a fast and painless death! :)