Snyper's Solar Farm

The new 5kw units are silent as they do not have fans but instead have a larger heat sink.
1. There is noise from the fans (8kW) when they kick in I have to "listen" for the noise in the kitchen directly opposite room from the garage to hear it.

2. 100% I dont even know when LS happens PC carries on mining as if nothing happened and the rest of the house goes on without skipping a beat
Great, so I could potentially put it in the kitchen near the DB - was thinking I would have to get cabling & trunking to a back room / closet.

Apart from the cost of the inverter & batteries what is a ballpark cost for the rest of such an installation - connectors, splitting the DB, etc? I've seen around R10k but don't have any idea if that is high or low.
 
The sunsynk CEO is currently in Bloemfontein on his SA tour. From there they'll be going to Kimberley.

I'm not sure what their itinerary looks like and where they'll be after that.

I think that it's either PE or Johannesburg. Heroldts seems to be the focus, although he cannot afford to snub Segen.
 
Its raining outside :p obviously thats first choice
Just get a clothing rack and put it somewhere near a window when it's raining.

Having lived in a flat for the past 6 years, I tossed the tumble dryer in favour of a dishwasher. Don't intend on changing that when we move to the new place.

Apart from the energy usage, they also mess up your clothes over time...
 
Hehe. Yes, the authenticity of that review is, shall we say, questionable. There is a long term battery test going on in Australia and PylonTech is doing very well there. On paper the Hubble is a very good battery, unfortunately though we don't have independent testing of them.

Apparently so is batterytestcentre.com.au , BYD didn't feature too well in their tests, and I know that @Sinbad wasn't too impressed with them.
 
Apparently so is batterytestcentre.com.au , BYD didn't feature too well in their tests, and I know that @Sinbad wasn't too impressed with them.
First criticism I've heard of the Aussie tests. My understanding is they're just cycling the batteries and reporting their findings. Not quite sure how that wouldn't be authentic. Maybe he just didn't like the results?
 
I'm running Pylontech and bought it specifically because they've got probably the best track record of any affordable batteries available locally. The comparison that was done on that power forum was done by someone with questionable motives and his comments shows he has no idea what he was looking at. But hey, everyone on the internet can have an opinion.

Biggest complaint with Pylontech is their 0.5C limitation, where in the case of Hubble that isn't the case. In fact, when we did the solar install at my parents place, we went with Hubble simply because that worked out cheaper (and safer) because they went with the 8kW Sunsynk. Just putting it out there before someone accuses me of being a Pylontech Fanboy.
 
First criticism I've heard of the Aussie tests. My understanding is they're just cycling the batteries and reporting their findings. Not quite sure how that wouldn't be authentic. Maybe he just didn't like the results?
Not sure, maybe he can clarify.

My point is that there is a lot of information out there, and one needs evaluate and prioritise what's important, it's kind of different for each person, we all have different reasons / drivers / use-cases, and then these change with time too. Choices are also influenced by perception, and that varies a lot too, we all have different backgrounds and knowledge levels. And then to cloud everything, there's sentiment over fact, and form over function.

I decided over 1 year ago, that for my use case, and based on the facts available to me at the time, on Pylontech. Hubble wasn't available then, but BSL Batt was. If I knew then what I know now, I should have gone for BSL. Today, if I were to make the decision again, I'd opt for Hubble. But that's me, and I am not saying that Pylontech are bad in any way, just that there are better options available, for my own use-case, and from my perspective. Dyness would also be on my shortlist, as would BYD. We are fortunately spoiled for choice.
 
I'm running Pylontech and bought it specifically because they've got probably the best track record of any affordable batteries available locally. The comparison that was done on that power forum was done by someone with questionable motives and his comments shows he has no idea what he was looking at. But hey, everyone on the internet can have an opinion.

Biggest complaint with Pylontech is their 0.5C limitation, where in the case of Hubble that isn't the case. In fact, when we did the solar install at my parents place, we went with Hubble simply because that worked out cheaper (and safer) because they went with the 8kW Sunsynk. Just putting it out there before someone accuses me of being a Pylontech Fanboy.
What is:

"0.5C"
?
 
What is:

"0.5C"
?
Discharge/charge rates of the battery is know as the C rating.

Pylontech has 0.5C rating meaning that for every kWh of battery capacity you can only charge or discharge at 500w.

Hubble is rated at 1C so they can go at 1kw.

A 10kwh pylontech battery can only power a load of 5kw and a 10kwh hubble can power a load of 10kw.

Provided the inverter can handle it.

With the sunsynk 8kw it means that you need 16kwh of pylontech batteries but only 8kwh of hubble batteries to be able to fully utilise the inverter during load shedding.
 
Any thoughts on this battery?


I know their inverter is basically a rebranded Deye, but I'm not sure about the battery. They claim a 1C discharge rate, and it comes as part of the kit I'm interested in...
 
Discharge/charge rates of the battery is know as the C rating.

Pylontech has 0.5C rating meaning that for every kWh of battery capacity you can only charge or discharge at 500w.

Hubble is rated at 1C so they can go at 1kw.

A 10kwh pylontech battery can only power a load of 5kw and a 10kwh hubble can power a load of 10kw.

Provided the inverter can handle it.

With the sunsynk 8kw it means that you need 16kwh of pylontech batteries but only 8kwh of hubble batteries to be able to fully utilise the inverter during load shedding.
Thank you for the clear explanation, this makes sense to me now.

so then... what is the drawback here, I assume there is a reason Pylo does 0.5C ? I do think it is misinformation to then label their batteries using 1C terms.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X