So I went to Capitec

http://amp.ewn.co.za/2017/08/31/capitec-bank-rattling-sa-s-financial-sector

Nonetheless, as the price war for low-income customers gears up, Capitec warned its bigger competitors that it plans to climb the income ladder - but not all the way up.

“We designed this bank to service 90 to 95% of South Africa’s banking public,” said Fourie. “The wealthiest 5 to 10% of the population we leave for the guys offering private banking services.”
 
Quick question. Has any of you used the Capitec Mastercard card to pay at a parking machine? Does it work? I normally use my credit card, but for the second time this year my Virgin Money card has been used in online fraud transactions. I have stopped the old card, ordered a new one and reported the transcations to them this morning, but I dont want to use this card anymore. Will be sitting in my wallet gathering dust from now on, but I often dont have cash on me, so hoping when I need to, I can use my Capitec card to pay at the parking machines. It is a Mastercard and activated for online purchases (if that makes a difference)
 
Quick question. Has any of you used the Capitec Mastercard card to pay at a parking machine? Does it work? I normally use my credit card, but for the second time this year my Virgin Money card has been used in online fraud transactions. I have stopped the old card, ordered a new one and reported the transcations to them this morning, but I dont want to use this card anymore. Will be sitting in my wallet gathering dust from now on, but I often dont have cash on me, so hoping when I need to, I can use my Capitec card to pay at the parking machines. It is a Mastercard and activated for online purchases (if that makes a difference)
I don't think it works. I think I tried a while ago and had to use another card. It was a while back though,so things might have changed or I could even be mistaken... Lol
 
Quick question. Has any of you used the Capitec Mastercard card to pay at a parking machine? Does it work? I normally use my credit card, but for the second time this year my Virgin Money card has been used in online fraud transactions. I have stopped the old card, ordered a new one and reported the transcations to them this morning, but I dont want to use this card anymore. Will be sitting in my wallet gathering dust from now on, but I often dont have cash on me, so hoping when I need to, I can use my Capitec card to pay at the parking machines. It is a Mastercard and activated for online purchases (if that makes a difference)

I have used it in a few malls in Pretoria, and one in Jhb. Works as expected.

EDIT: I used my capitec credit card! The debit card did not work for me!
 
I don't think it works. I think I tried a while ago and had to use another card. It was a while back though,so things might have changed or I could even be mistaken... Lol

I have used it in a few malls in Pretoria, and one in Jhb. Works as expected.

EDIT: I used my capitec credit card! The debit card did not work for me!

Mmmm...ok, thank you guys. I will give my card a try (it is not a credit card) and see what it does. :)
 
Quick question. Has any of you used the Capitec Mastercard card to pay at a parking machine? Does it work? I normally use my credit card, but for the second time this year my Virgin Money card has been used in online fraud transactions. I have stopped the old card, ordered a new one and reported the transcations to them this morning, but I dont want to use this card anymore. Will be sitting in my wallet gathering dust from now on, but I often dont have cash on me, so hoping when I need to, I can use my Capitec card to pay at the parking machines. It is a Mastercard and activated for online purchases (if that makes a difference)
I use my Capitec debit card at Mall of Africa parking all the time.
 
My Capitec DEBIT card does not work at eastgate mall parking machines. I think it only works in machines that allow debit cards if the machine requires a credit card a capitec debit card does not work.
It is a Mastercard and activated for online purchases (if that makes a difference)
Mine is also activated for online purchases.

Update: Just used My capitec debit card to pay for parking but this machine said accept debit and credit cards. So i think its machine dependent.
 
Last edited:
Quick question. Has any of you used the Capitec Mastercard card to pay at a parking machine? Does it work? I normally use my credit card, but for the second time this year my Virgin Money card has been used in online fraud transactions. I have stopped the old card, ordered a new one and reported the transcations to them this morning, but I dont want to use this card anymore. Will be sitting in my wallet gathering dust from now on, but I often dont have cash on me, so hoping when I need to, I can use my Capitec card to pay at the parking machines. It is a Mastercard and activated for online purchases (if that makes a difference)

It worked for me, at least at OR Tambo airport... (There are some reports of others as well though...) (The activation for card-not-present transactions might be relevant for non-PIN transactions?)

Where it does not work, is at toll gates....
 
Tangent to to the topic, but why do shopping centres install parking payment systems which don't accept cards? Kenilworth in CT just started paid parking, but only takes cash.

My CNP activated Capitec debit card has worked everywhere except toll gates (credit card only) and EA's Origin store (Capitec flagged it as gambling).
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X