So I'm getting poached..

Uraeus

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get some advice on something.

Here is a break down:
At the moment I am fairly happy in my current company and job, things have been going well.
I have also become somewhat in-disposable to them in that if I leave it will knock the company for about
6 months in order to get on track. They are getting huge orders for development, and my break down
has already been broken down over the next 2 years, i.e. What are my responsibilities etc. Pretty much
80% of the software total will be my responsibility.

In the past I have spoken with colleges, whom have now left, that have said that my company doesn't give competitive salaries, i.e. A guy who left the company got double at another company, and another guy got triple.

I have been approached recently and have been offered double my current salary, this is a no brainer for some, as it is a hoot load of money (At least in my opinion), and I am uncertain as how to tackle this. I am expecting a salary review in december from my current company.

Here are my options, as I see them:
1) Approach current company and tell them what I have been offered
OR
2) Walk away from my current environment and accept the new job

Is more money always a good thing, or is it the environment that is important.
The place where I am at really feels like home, just I dont like the fact am not getting paid for what
I am worth.

Any thoughts and feedback would be appreciated!

graviti

Approach the current company with the new offer. If they really value you, and you give them the chance, there's a chance that they will look after you. (Increase pay, maybe add an extra perk or two). Just remember one thing though. No company in the modern climate can afford to be loyal. You have to bring in what you take out. So be realistic. If the company can afford you, then get your worth out of it. No company is ever going to pay what you are worth, unless you take it from them. They'd all have you work for free if they could. That's capitalism for you.

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
If you are that indispensable to your current company and you have that other offer in writing, tell them they need to beat the other offer or else u will go. But be prepared to leave if they can't at least match the other offer or they decline to do so.

And, they need to make a decision ASAP if they want to keep u as obviously you cant make the other company wait too long before getting back to them.

Working environment is important and money isn't everything but only you can make the decision as to what is going to make u happy in the long run. Where r u going to get better working experience has to be weighed up against the money. Maybe one place can give u more money and better working experience at the same time?

Avenue

Expert Member
its probably a good idea to give them the option to match the offer as many companies are willing to up your salary to keep you on. the ball is then also placed in their court, not yours- they are making that decision whether you leave or not. And if you do, you dont look like the bad guy, they do.

on the loyalty thing, one thing I have learned is that if the tables are reversed, a company will feel nothing to retrench your ass, so dont feel too bad about leaving if that is what you decide.

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
Approach the current company with the new offer. If they really value you, and you give them the chance, there's a chance that they will look after you. (Increase pay, maybe add an extra perk or two). Just remember one thing though. No company in the modern climate can afford to be loyal. You have to bring in what you take out. So be realistic. If the company can afford you, then get your worth out of it. No company is ever going to pay what you are worth, unless you take it from them. They'd all have you work for free if they could. That's capitalism for you.

This is good advice,
and remember, business is business, you shouldn't have any emotions involved.

syntax

Executive Member
Dont move just for money....if you hate your job, money is not going to help and you will regret your decision.
If the new company is a job you will love, i would move unless you really love where you work.

Thing is, ur current place knows what competitive rates are, and if they are not offering them to you , its their fault. (especially if they have lost staff members for salary reasons)
They might also feel like you are trying to blackmail them in a way, by saying you have other offers...

So unless your current place rocks (in which case present them with the offer you have), i would move (again only if the new company is a job you would love..)

Remember, change is good..

Uraeus

Thanks Guys

Thank you for your feedback guys, it will really help me.
It is a tough decision to make, and I will be doing plenty o thinking about it :/

Paulr

Something to bear in mind as well is stability - how big is your current company vs. the one who approached you? How long have you been with your ciurrent company?

IF you decide to move to the new company and they run into hassles, remember that it is "last in, first out" as far as staff goes.

But yeah, definately speak to you ciurrent employer about the offer you received - allways keep your boss on his toes!!

Jola

Honorary Master
I have never believed it to be a good option to try and negotiate with my present employer, it's like blackmail, and they resent it and hold it against you.

Maybe have a brief discussion, and if they are grumpy in any way, just resign - have your letter ready !

Remember, they felt nothing for you, and exploited you by paying you less than the market rate.

Last edited:

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
Approach the current company with the new offer. If they really value you, and you give them the chance, there's a chance that they will look after you. (Increase pay, maybe add an extra perk or two)...

Counter offers do not work.

It can backfire in that it can make you "too expensive" to be employed elsewhere reducing your chances of employment outside the company. You also are at the most risk of getting a reduced raise or even no raise. 80% of staff that accept counter offers also go within 3 months.

Uraeus

There is alot of mixed feedback :/ It is kinda blackmail in a way, in that it is a direct threat to the
company. It also puts them in a tight spot.

I guess it comes down to comparing what you are getting now, and what others are getting in the same field.

I think it will also be good to get the offer I got in writing. The company that gave the offer is a big corporate company and I am currently working in a small company, with a handful of developers.

Counter offers do not work.

It can backfire in that it can make you "too expensive" to be employed elsewhere reducing your chances of employment outside the company. You also are at the most risk of getting a reduced raise or even no raise. 80% of staff that accept counter offers also go within 3 months.

I agree with this, although when I spoke to a former colleague he mentioned he had his salary reviewed several times after he found out he was underpaid, by approaching the boss and saying 'How can you pay this guy that, when I do this, etc".

I think I should just be calm when approaching my current company and not feel too bad, as the directors are pretty loaded, and i'm sure they can spare to make one of their employees happier.

IF you decide to move to the new company and they run into hassles, remember that it is "last in, first out" as far as staff goes.

The company I am with has laid off about 10 people this year alone, and has not hired any new staff. There has been several meetings such as "The company is not doing good ATM, and we wont be giving xmas bonuses etc". The salary review this year also involved my 'raise' happening in two parts, first jump in july then second in december. AFAIK the company which I will be joining is much older and has a larger established client base. So much to consider..

shogun

Expert Member
The company I am with has laid off about 10 people this year alone, and has not hired any new staff. There has been several meetings such as "The company is not doing good ATM, and we wont be giving xmas bonuses etc".

That says it all. If you want the money, u'd likely have to make the move.

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
That says it all. If you want the money, u'd likely have to make the move.
At this point its not even about the money anymore. If they are laying off people and being cheap about his raise (by paying it in installments) then he might have better job security at the new company.

Uraeus, get that offer in writing, ASAP!

blunomore

Honorary Master
Hey guys,

Just wanted to get some advice on something.

Here is a break down:
At the moment I am fairly happy in my current company and job, things have been going well.
I have also become somewhat in-disposable to them in that if I leave it will knock the company for about
6 months in order to get on track. They are getting huge orders for development, and my break down
has already been broken down over the next 2 years, i.e. What are my responsibilities etc. Pretty much
80% of the software total will be my responsibility.

In the past I have spoken with colleges, whom have now left, that have said that my company doesn't give competitive salaries, i.e. A guy who left the company got double at another company, and another guy got triple.

I have been approached recently and have been offered double my current salary, this is a no brainer for some, as it is a hoot load of money (At least in my opinion), and I am uncertain as how to tackle this. I am expecting a salary review in december from my current company.

Here are my options, as I see them:
1) Approach current company and tell them what I have been offered
OR
2) Walk away from my current environment and accept the new job

Is more money always a good thing, or is it the environment that is important.The place where I am at really feels like home, just I dont like the fact am not getting paid for what
I am worth.

Any thoughts and feedback would be appreciated!

In essence your question is whether money can make you happy? No. The answer is no.

Roger.Wilco

I have also become somewhat in-disposable to them...

I always laugh when I hear comments like this. Anyone can be replaced, there's always someone out there that can do your job twice as good as you, for the same salary. It might just be an inconvenience for the company to get the new guy on track with everything.

I've seen so many people go to management with a better job offer from another company, hoping to get a raise. Everytime management just said good luck, and hired someone else. So... if you go that route, be prepared to leave.

I'll rather stay with a company where I enjoy my word and work environment, than go somewhere for more money.

Uraeus

I always laugh when I hear comments like this. Anyone can be replaced, there's always someone out there that can do your job twice as good as you, for the same salary. It might just be an inconvenience for the company to get the new guy on track with everything.

I've seen so many people go to management with a better job offer from another company, hoping to get a raise. Everytime management just said good luck, and hired someone else. So... if you go that route, be prepared to leave.

I'll rather stay with a company where I enjoy my word and work environment, than go somewhere for more money.

Thanks for that :) I agree with you 100%, I wasnt trying to sound arrogant. It is so true.
Would be quite a shock to me to leave. I guess from the companies point of view they are looking for loyalty, and they may see it as a betrayal.

The money is tempting but in the end of the day it comes down to the environment, and from what I have heard, the other company is not that nice in terms of freedom. I guess part time is always an option if I need more cash.

Thanks guys, there is definitely alot of experience here, as I am sure one or two of have had to make the same decisions in the past.

I will try to remember what Russel says, "Be a man." -Russel Peters

skimread

Honorary Master
You should be able to work out how much you earn for the company. Rough guide is you can ask for a third of what you earn as your salary per month. If you use no company resources it can be more.
If the salary that you want divided by 3 isn't a third or more of what the company brings in from your services then I doubt they would now or in future give the increase you want so I would start making plans to change jobs.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
The money is tempting but in the end of the day it comes down to the environment, and from what I have heard, the other company is not that nice in terms of freedom. I guess part time is always an option if I need more cash....

I earn way less than what I can if I decide to work in Cape Town CBD. Even admitted to my boss one day, yet I will not leave this company. The working conditions are worth more than the salary descripency.

I have a family and a career wife, my job gives us the freedom to allow me to leave home late and get home early, work from home when the kids are sick and take leave at a moments notice. My office is 4km away from home and I cycle to work each day. We have awesome unlimited coffee :) Were geek heaven and my boss is even paying for my UNISA studies.

Best of all is my kids see me in the morning when they wake up and get home early enough to spend some time with them outside as the sun is still shinning. I cannot put a price on this.

So I'm happy in my job, the fact I get paid is a bonus.