"Something sinister" may be causing driver’s licence renewal problems

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
"Something sinister" may be causing driver’s licence renewal problems

South Africa’s driving licence renewal system continues to frustrate motorists, and “something sinister” may be behind some of the problems.

This is according to Jacob Mamabolo, Gauteng MEC for public transport and roads infrastructure, who was speaking to ENCA about the problems.
'Cause we need someone to spell it out for us: Yet another ANC device to control and frustrate the hams.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Oh so you mean the ANC.
Just say it A N C.

ITs not Voldemort.
Not possible. Not while MyBB is part of the spread of Government propaganda, even with Mamabolo quoted as saying that Government cadres are the cause.

grok

Honorary Master
Yeah 'cos if your systems doesn't work it has to be the Tokoloshe, or sinista fosses.

Just not the idiots that's running the show..

Oh no, this lot still believes in voodoo, long way to go before they learn the true meaning of responsibility.

system32

Expert Member
I just renewed my drivers license - had to take 2 days off work - which means lost income for 2 days.
Day 1 to submit - took over 4 hours
Day 2 to collect (6 weeks later) - took about 2 hours

The whole system for drivers renewal is inefficient
Here are some ideas for improving efficiency:
  1. License should be for life (or renew only when older than 70 years) - this will reduce the load
  2. Booking system needs to show slots for up to 6 months in advice. If the bookings are over 90% full, they need to add more capacity
  3. Pre-Pay online when doing your booking - I had to stand in the pay queue for an hour - this staff can be moved to the photo/finger/sign team
  4. Fill all the forms online - I had to fill in a green form when I got there
  5. When you go to the center for photos, finger print, sign, they need to print & laminate immediately - you leave with your license - the staff the hand out can be redeployed to doing the photo/finger/sign team
  6. If you don't have access to Internet, then follow the old slow process.

These simple changes will save money and improve efficiency.

Also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor
"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

Last edited:

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Yeah 'cos if your systems doesn't work it has to be the Tokoloshe, or sinista fosses.

Just not the idiots that's running the show..

Oh no, this lot still believes in voodoo, long way to go before they learn the true meaning of responsibility.
Mocking cultural beliefs isn't fixing the issue. On both sides of the argument.

The individuals that are to blame were put, and are kept, in these positions by an incompetent Government.

Milano

Honorary Master
Mamabolo assured motorists that they are acting to resolve the problems with driving licence renewals, which include:
  1. Issuing a directive to increase the allocation of driving licence renewal slots.
  2. Commissioning an investigation into potential corruption in the allocation of slots.
  3. Looking at increasing the number DLTCs and explore other options like using mobile facilities.
Number 2 sounds the most lucrative. No stone should be left unturned while trying to determine how these slots are being mysteriously allocated. R170 million should cover the first phase of commissioning the investigation.

Magnum

Expert Member
I just renewed my drivers license - had to take 2 days off work - which means lost income for 2 days.
Day 1 to submit - took over 4 hours
Day 2 to collect (6 weeks later) - took about 2 hours

The whole system for drivers renewal is inefficient
Here are some ideas for improving efficiency:
  1. License should be for life (or renew only when older than 70 years) - this will reduce the load
  2. Booking system needs to show slots for up to 6 months in advice. If the bookings are over 90% full, they need to add more capacity
  3. Pre-Pay online when doing your booking - I had to stand in the pay queue for an hour - this staff can be moved to the photo/finger/sign team
  4. Fill all the forms online - I had to fill in a green form when I got there
  5. When you go to the center for photos, finger print, sign, they need to print & laminate immediately - you leave with your license - the staff the hand out can be redeployed to doing the photo/finger/sign team
  6. If you don't have access to Internet, then follow the old slow process.

These simple changes will save money and improve efficiency.

Also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor
"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"
This is Africa. Skip Steps from 1 - 5 and Just do 6...

system32

Expert Member
This is Africa. Skip Steps from 1 - 5 and Just do 6...
Also need to have 2 queues
  • Short, quick queue for those that have booked and pre-paid
  • Slow long queue for those that have not booked

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
why do we need drivers license renewals ? Many years ago, it was not an issue. So they started making money from this renewals.. only now for the citizens to be screwed over. Every year there would be more and more people (population growth) doing this.

F- the ANC

Deandbn

IMHO, there should be no need for 'slots'.. A new licence card should be automatically created 2 months before the expiry of the previous licence and licencee sent an sms informing that new licence is ready for collection.
On arrival at counter eyes to be checked in binocular type tester in 30 seconds flat and licence card given to licencee.
Licence renewals should of course be free as income tax pays for the service.
Else pay with credit card before pickup.
In this way hundreds of applications can be dealt with per day per counter.. Problem solved..
You know, just like it used to work before the cANCer screwed it up.

eg2505

Honorary Master
something sinister?
what they didn't pay the people that maintain the licensing system again,
what is GCIS doing these days, other than throwing Tenda money around?