South African spammers?

Turtle

Expert Member
Sorry if this is slightly off-topic, not sure where to post it.

Anyone know anything about who these people are who are selling South African spam lists?

I rather doubt these are all opt-in.

Are these guys responsible for much of our spam in South Africa?

Is it legal for them to be openly selling this in SA?

How did I find out about them? They sent me an UNSOLICITED email through a website form - so I already doubt they care about whether people have opted in.

I recently created a brand new email address and only a VERY limited number of organizations had my new email address - and I recently started getting spam from Postnet on that new email address. That new email address has certainly never been opted in anywhere for any such thing. So someone inside South African organisations like banks must be selling these email addresses, I presume to shady folk

Their website is also strangely publicly announcing the details of other customers who have purchased the databases ... in the EU that would violate those GDPR laws ... though those may just be phony sales as a known sales technique (I'm NOT talking about the customer reviews on the site - I'm talking about the top left corner popups saying "A B from X just purchased such and such".)

This was the unsolicited message I received:

(Phone Number 0414-5563685)
sales@zadb.co.za
Comments: ZaDb.co.za is running a special promo!

Here is a breakdown:

Email Database - 822,064 Emails. (R500)
B2B Companies Database - 1,462,227 Companies (R500)
Affiliate Marketers Database - Affiliate Marketers (R500)
Directors Database - 758,834 Directors (R500)
Forex South Africa - 113,550 Forex Traders (R500)
Healthcare Database - 376,599 Medical Professionals (R500)
FSP Database - 44,211 FSP's. (R500)
Wholesalers Database - 106,932 Wholesalers. (R500)
NGO Database - 231,289 NGO's. (R500)
Real Estate Agent Database - 257,980 Estate Agents. (R500)

All of the above is going for R3k on the special promo.

You can download samples and get more information on our website.

Regards,
ZaDb.co.za

Last edited:

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Sorry if this is slightly off-topic, not sure where to post it.

Anyone know anything about who these people are who are selling South African spam lists?

I rather doubt these are all opt-in.

Are these guys responsible for much of our spam in South Africa?

Is it legal for them to be openly selling this in SA?

How did I find out about them? They sent me an UNSOLICITED email through a website form - so I already doubt they care about whether people have opted in.

I recently created a brand new email address and only a VERY limited number of organizations had my new email address - and I recently started getting spam from Postnet on that new email address. That new email address has certainly never been opted in anywhere for any such thing. So someone inside South African organisations like banks must be selling these email addresses, I presume to shady folk

Their website is also strangely publicly announcing the details of other customers who have purchased the databases ... in the EU that would violate those GDPR laws ... though those may just be phony sales as a known sales technique (I'm NOT talking about the customer reviews on the site - I'm talking about the top left corner popups saying "A B from X just purchased such and such".)

This was the unsolicited message I received:

(Phone Number)
sales@zadb.co.za
Comments: ZaDb.co.za is running a special promo!

Here is a breakdown:

Email Database - 822,064 Emails. (R500)
B2B Companies Database - 1,462,227 Companies (R500)
Affiliate Marketers Database - Affiliate Marketers (R500)
Directors Database - 758,834 Directors (R500)
Forex South Africa - 113,550 Forex Traders (R500)
Healthcare Database - 376,599 Medical Professionals (R500)
FSP Database - 44,211 FSP's. (R500)
Wholesalers Database - 106,932 Wholesalers. (R500)
NGO Database - 231,289 NGO's. (R500)
Real Estate Agent Database - 257,980 Estate Agents. (R500)

All of the above is going for R3k on the special promo.

You can download samples and get more information on our website.

Regards,
ZaDb.co.za
That web site is hosted in the EU. Send an email to the hosting provider requesting a take down. Email address is abuse@ovh.net
They are scammers.

Turtle

Expert Member
The phone number they gave seems to have Swiss dialing code .. tho could be anywhere if it's a voip number [Edit: Or possibly Port Elizabeth? I did not try phone it to check .. or may just be a fake number]

Last edited:

Turtle

Expert Member
Damn.. .I had guessed Vodacom/MTN...

Now I feel bad...
I'm a bit out of date with all the latest local dialing codes - maybe it is South African?

According to Wikipedia 041 is Port Elizabeth

Mosgi

With POPIA now in play, all these should halt.

Hefty penalties for non compliance.

Not sure if it works but I recall a while back having a convo with a IT developer who said you can make your email address unique for every place you put it into so mnet.joe@gmail.com etc, when you receive an email marked as that you are able to isolate the source of the leak.

Turtle

Expert Member
Check out their 'free sample' for 'B2B' ... it has not just email addresses but:

Name Address Industry Phone Fax Cell Email Website Alternative Number Latitude Longitude

all for .za's!

Last edited: