South Africa's hosting providers compared

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
South Africa's hosting providers compared

Whether you're planning on starting up a website or are looking to move to a new host, there are many South African hosting providers to choose from.

It is crucial that you pick the right hosting service if you want to ensure that you get reliable performance and sufficient hosting resources for your website.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The real method when choosing a hosting provider:

Step 1: visit both domains.co.za and hetzner.co.za
Step 2: pick one that has a package that best suits your requirements

Done. Enjoy having an awesome host with awesome performance and customer support.

Happy Days

The real method when choosing a hosting provider:

Step 1: visit both domains.co.za and hetzner.co.za
Step 2: pick one that has a package that best suits your requirements

Done. Enjoy having an awesome host with awesome performance and customer support.
Speaking from experience?

Happy Days

Personal experience and the collective experience of the devs on this forum. Domains and Hetzner are by miles the best hosts in SA.
Thanks, interesting to know. There's always been high praise for Hetzner, but I haven't even heard of Domains, nor seen any advertising of theirs.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Axxess
Afrihost
Vox
RSAWeb

Above are all ISP. Don't take them for hosting.

Your actual options are:
datakeepers.co.za/virtualservers.co.za
hetzner.co.za
domains.co.za

And then the giants that are incoming:
AWS

And already here:
Azure

Personally nearly finished migrating from Hetzner to virtualservers, just a lot cheaper while also being in Cape Town, so lower latency for most of our customer base. Hetzner is very good though, have had about a combined one day of downtime I think over all the different products over the last two years.

EDIT:
A cool test would be performance btw, @rpm, just run an ApacheBench nice article on it here: https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/215945987-Web-server-performance-comparison

bratwurst

Expert Member
Axxess
Afrihost
Vox
RSAWeb

Above are all ISP. Don't take them for hosting.

Your actual options are:
datakeepers.co.za/virtualservers.co.za
hetzner.co.za
domains.co.za

And then the giants that are incoming:
AWS

And already here:
Azure

Personally nearly finished migrating from Hetzner to virtualservers, just a lot cheaper while also being in Cape Town, so lower latency for most of our customer base. Hetzner is very good though, have had about a combined one day of downtime I think over all the different products over the last two years.

EDIT:
A cool test would be performance btw, @rpm, just run an ApacheBench nice article on it here: https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/215945987-Web-server-performance-comparison
How is virtualservers support lets say at 3am on a Saturday morning? If you have dedicated services with them, do they have a 24/7 support line and can change a HDD within an hour?

Unless they are a lot cheaper I do not see why I should move from hetzer. Pretty happy with for the last couple of years. I am waiting for AWS though, once launched locally im moving all servers.

SilverCode

Why not just man up and use azure?
I know next to nothing about Windows servers (I'm a Linux guy), but recently had to put together pricing for a Windows server solution based on specs from the vendor. Hosting a Windows VM in Azure turned out to be about 2x-3x more expensive than have a dedicated Self-Managed server with a Windows license from Hetzner. Even in AWS the equivalent EC2 with Windows was 3x more expensive. I can't figure out why renting dedicated hardware for a Windows Server is cheaper than a Virtual Machine.

Thor

Honorary Master
I don't see a single host listed there except for hetzner.

Domains.co.za is second to none. Faster than Digital Ocean and Vultr.

The mybb article lists resellers and ISPs those are not hosts.

Reactions: OCP

scud

It really all depends what you require . But the best value / flexibility in my opinion is is the Hetzner TruServ range with backups to AWS S3

Data keepers were a bit flaky when I tried them last year, so can’t recommend them for production . But they are cheap if you want a windows vm

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I know next to nothing about Windows servers (I'm a Linux guy), but recently had to put together pricing for a Windows server solution based on specs from the vendor. Hosting a Windows VM in Azure turned out to be about 2x-3x more expensive than have a dedicated Self-Managed server with a Windows license from Hetzner. Even in AWS the equivalent EC2 with Windows was 3x more expensive. I can't figure out why renting dedicated hardware for a Windows Server is cheaper than a Virtual Machine.
The cloud is not about dedicated hardware.. It's about building the smallest baseline possible and expanding and contracting as needed... At least on the server side.

OCP

Expert Member
Speaking from experience?
I completely agree with #Bryn

Have dealt with Hetzner for years and they are brilliant.

Had a bunch of clients with Afrihost years ago which was a complete disaster.

Moved them to domains.co.za and have not had a single complaint since.

As Bryn said - test with both and see which has the best package for your needs; can't go wrong with either.

NB. You get what you pay for!

Last edited:

jeevadotnet

I use Azure for IaaS and other services. For good old baremetal, SoYouStart (SYS) which is a mid range OVH product. Or Kimsufi which is an entry level product - dedicated servers from $4 . SYS $50 for 8core xeon, 32GB ram and 3x120GB SSD + DDoS and static ips. ZA hosting is a ripoff.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I use Azure for IaaS and other services. For good old baremetal, SoYouStart (SYS) which is a mid range OVH product. Or Kimsufi which is an entry level product - dedicated servers from $4 . SYS $50 for 8core xeon, 32GB ram and 3x120GB SSD + DDoS and static ips. ZA hosting is a ripoff.
I don't see why SA hosting is a rip-off. Standard hosting on Hetzner is R150pm, the equivalent of $10. And you get 10GB SSD storage, unlimited traffic, local 24/7 support, free auto SSL for all domains, free daily backups etc. from a company well known for exceptional uptime, customer service and general performance.

EttySh

This article really only compares packages.
I used to be a happy Afrihost customer but experienced far too many unacknowledged and seemingly random outages.
I'm much happier with Hetzner in spite of the higher fees. The outages are now for scheduled maintenance, and although I'd like to be forewarned, at least the downtime is less frequent and can be explained.
No experience with the others.