South Africa's shocking mathematics performance

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
South Africa's shocking mathematics performance

Mathematics performance among South African learners remains shockingly poor, as more learners choose to take Mathematics Literacy over core Mathematics.

The recent matric results announced by Minister of Basic Education Angie Motshekga reflected a pass rate of 76.2%, down by more than five percentage points compared with last year's results.

Zophos

Expert Member
What’s going on in the pic here?

South Africa’s mathematics shocker
Those are letters, and not numbers, so I understand your confusion....:sneaky:

Oh wait, you mean that those marks should average out to a C and not an F....Well, teachers now are also part of the 30%ers.... and apparently so am I.

ConfusedR

The ANC government want to introduce new subjects like robotics but the kids can't even do maths, wont do maths, are too lazy to do maths or are too stupid to do maths.
But the kids will do brilliantly with subjects to prepare them for the 4th industrial revolution.

Pegasus

Executive Member
Fourth industrial revolution going well I see

She's licking a book and not enjoying it by the looks of it
No that you mention it.
Could be aone of those hot teachers forcing a young man to "F" her or he gets a different "F".

Maybe a Maths teacher and a part-time water polo instructer.

rustypup

Expert Member
The truly depressing bit being that mathematics is fundamental to logic, rational thinking and problem solving.

Explains so very much and represents the worst possible outcomes for all involved.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
The truly depressing bit being that mathematics is fundamental to logic, rational thinking and problem solving.

Explains so very much and represents the worst possible outcomes for all involved.
I used to A-B student in maths right up to Grade 9 but struggled with Maths beyond that point. and scraped passed in Matric. If anything the teaching methodology in Maths in schools favors people who are naturally inclined to the subject. I had to do 2 stats module in university and a lot of it had to do with concepts I struggled with in school the difference is that this time I was actually thought the concepts which seemed really simple, so simple that I eventually passed with over 75%

Thinking back, the pace that we went through the syllabus was dictated by the A students and everybody else had to catch on their own time.