Spotify Premium now available for R5.99

Nick333

Honorary Master
Just can't bring themselves to make it free for 3 months?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Still no family plan for SA?
Here to moan about the lack of family plan too!
Same here. What a strange decision not to include it as an option.
Quite the contrary - it makes perfect sense why Spotify isn't offering the family plan in SA.

Their family plan doesn't function the same as those for Play Music and Apple Music. Spotify does monitor IP addresses and location data, and requires that family members access from the same location. In the US and other countries with family subscriptions, students away at college have to take out their own student memberships to have Spotify, as an example.

This would be a problem in a country like SA where internet access is primarily on mobile devices over cellular connections, and often with older devices with potentially limited location functions. I would hazard a confident guess that Spotify is very concerned about an apocalyptic fallout from SA families falling afoul of the family location checks, either due to connection peculiarities where each member has a unique mobile connection or due to a large number of families not conforming geographically to Spotify's 'nuclear' family requirements.

I'm not defending the family sub requirements - just explaining why we probably don't have it.

why this over play music?
Spotify has the most limited apps. Does not support uploads. Has no family or student plans in SA. No EQ. No playlist folders. No side-perks like original video content or (Google's) upcoming Youtube Premium.

But I am subscribed to Spotify and love it a million times more than any other music streaming service.

Reason: music discovery. It is the undisputed king. If music discovery is important to you, there is only one option.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Deezer > Spotify

Change my mind
Deezer's machine learning is about as powerful as an abacus. The recommendations are seemingly just based on a very simplistic system of related artists. I took out a free 30 day trial with Deezer earlier this year and really struggled with how poor the curated playlists and recommendations were.

It's basically like Simfy, but less crap.

rorz0r

Executive Member
Deezer > Spotify

Change my mind
Last time I checked the Deezer windows app was still rather experimental, and didn't do this:
spotify.JPG

My usage is 99% on my desktop at work.

Other than that minor niggle it always seemed to struggle to stream reliably which was ultimately the deal breaker.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
The question is how much Bank fees will standard Bank charge on top of this R5.99 charge? :ROFL:

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Quite the contrary - it makes perfect sense why Spotify isn't offering the family plan in SA.

Their family plan doesn't function the same as those for Play Music and Apple Music. Spotify does monitor IP addresses and location data, and requires that family members access from the same location. In the US and other countries with family subscriptions, students away at college have to take out their own student memberships to have Spotify, as an example.

This would be a problem in a country like SA where internet access is primarily on mobile devices over cellular connections, and often with older devices with potentially limited location functions. I would hazard a confident guess that Spotify is very concerned about an apocalyptic fallout from SA families falling afoul of the family location checks, either due to connection peculiarities where each member has a unique mobile connection or due to a large number of families not conforming geographically to Spotify's 'nuclear' family requirements.

I'm not defending the family sub requirements - just explaining why we probably don't have it.

Spotify has the most limited apps. Does not support uploads. Has no family or student plans in SA. No EQ. No playlist folders. No side-perks like original video content or (Google's) upcoming Youtube Premium.

But I am subscribed to Spotify and love it a million times more than any other music streaming service.

Reason: music discovery. It is the undisputed king. If music discovery is important to you, there is only one option.
Ok. I get the no family plan thing. I think. But it wouldn't work for me. Or my family. Deezer FTW.

mjoubert15

If you already have a premium subscription, will you be able to get this R5.99 pm deal? Or is it only for new customers?

mattrudlles

Just can't bring themselves to make it free for 3 months?
And yet if the headline had been 3 months free I wouldn't have cared. Only because of it being R5.99 I thought I must check this out because its such a low price... Weird.