Springboks vs England 2012 - 3 Test tour

Devill

Damned
I thought I would make a thread for this so we can post all the news in here.

Lions and Cheetahs
Players invited to the first camp:
Forwards: Coenie Oosthuizen, Caylib Oosthuizen, Pat Cilliers, CJ van der Linde, WP Nel, Adriaan Strauss, Bandise Maku, Callie Visagie, Izak van der Westhuizen, Davon Raubenheimer, Franco van der Merwe, Heinrich Brüssow, Derick Minnie, Pieter Labuschagne, Ashley Johnson, Juan Smith, Josh Strauss, Philip van der Walt.
Backs: Piet van Zyl, Michael Bondesio, Johan Goosen, Elton Jantjies, Butch James, Willie le Roux, Andries Strauss, Doppies la Grange, Robert Ebersohn, Alwyn Hollenbach, Lionel Mapoe, Jaco Taute, Hennie Daniller.

Bulls and Sharks
Players invited to the second Springbok Planning Camp:
Forwards:
Tendai Mtawarira, Bismarck du Plessis, Craig Burden, Jannie du Plessis, Dale Chadwick, Steven Sykes, Jandré Marais, Marcell Coetzee, Keegan Daniel, Jean Deysel, Willem Alberts, Ryan Kankowski, Lubabalo Mtembu (all Sharks), Dean Greyling, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Werner Kruger, Frik Kirsten, Flip van der Merwe, Juandre Kruger, Wilhelm Steenkamp, Deon Stegmann, CJ Stander, Jacques Potgieter, Dewald Potgieter, Pierre Spies, Arno Botha (all Bulls)
Backs:
Charl McLeod, Patrick Lambie, Odwa Ndungane, Sibusiso Sithole, Tim Whitehead, JP Pietersen, Lwazi Mvovo, Louis Ludik, Riaan Viljoen (all Sharks), Francois Hougaard, Jano Vermaak, Morné Steyn, Bjorn Basson, Wynand Olivier, Francois Venter, Johann Sadie, JJ Engelbrecht, Akona Ndungane, Zane Kirchner (all Bulls)

Players from theStormers invited to the final Planning Camp:

Forwards: Andries Bekker, Brok Harris, De Kock Steenkamp, Deon Carstens, Deon Fourie, Duane Vermeulen, Eben Etzebeth, Frans Malherbe, Nick Koster, Nizaam Carr, Quinn Roux, Rynhardt Elstadt, Schalk Burger, Siya Kolisi, Steven Kitshoff, Tiaan Liebenberg, Wicus Blaauw.
Backs:
Burton Francis, Byran Habana, Danie Poolman, Dewaldt Duvenhage, Gary van Aswegen, Gerhard van den Heever, Gio Aplon, Jean de Villiers, Joe Pietersen, Juan de Jongh, Louis Schreuder, Marcel Brache, Nick Groom, Peter Grant.

England tour schedule to South Africa:

Saturday, June 9: South Africa v England (King's Park, Durban (kick-off 1600 BST)

Wednesday, June 13: SA Barbarians South v England, GWK Park, Kimberley (kick-off 1330 BST)

Saturday, June 16: South Africa v England Coca-Cola Park, Johannesburg (kick-off 1600 BST)

Tuesday, June 19: SA Barbarians North v England, Profert Olen Park, Potchefstroom (kick-off 1810 BST)

Saturday, June 23: South Africa v England, Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth (kick-off 1600 BST)

Last edited:

PhreeMe

Expert Member
So seeing as though you respect me, I thought I'd grace you with the first comment :D :D

I'm really interested to see how Meyer selects our squad. There is a lot of fresh talent floating around in our country so does he opt to try and build a young team of talent (building for the next WC), go with some youth, some experience or does he go the traditional way of choosing way to many oldies?

Last edited:

MickeyD

RIP
So seeing as though you respect me, I thought I'd grace you with the first comment :D :D

I'm really interested to see how Meyer selects our squad. There is a lot of fresh talent floating around in our country so does he opt to try and build a young team of talent (building for the next WC), go with some youth, some experience or does he go the traditional way of choosing way to many oldies?
I agree. This talk of bring Matfield out of retirement must stay just that, talk. It is time to blood the youngsters!

MickeyD

RIP
June 2012
09 - South Africa v England - Mr Price Kings Park, Durban (17:00)
16 - South Africa v England - Coca Cola Park, Johannesburg (17:00)
23 - South Africa v England - Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth (17:00)

greg0205

Honorary Master
I agree. This talk of bring Matfield out of retirement must stay just that, talk. It is time to blood the youngsters!

Drove past Victor test driving a Ferrari California on the William Nichol yesterday... Whatever job is on offer, the package must be awesome.

Devill

Damned
How about somebody post the schedule with dates, venues etc.

Posted in the OP.

June 2012
09 - South Africa v England - Mr Price Kings Park, Durban (17:00)
16 - South Africa v England - Coca Cola Park, Johannesburg (17:00)
23 - South Africa v England - Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth (17:00)

The English team is also playing two mid-week games against a northen and Southern barbarian team :)

Xmailer9

I don't know. England look like a team on the up. Sure, some of the rugby in 6 nations was horrible, but England definetly plays for the jersey, and they really play like a team.

Devill

Damned
I don't know. England look like a team on the up. Sure, some of the rugby in 6 nations was horrible, but England definetly plays for the jersey, and they really play like a team.

I also think the English will be no walkover.

I am thinking we might take all 3 games but only one by more than 8 :p

We must all remember to create a SuperBru group for this :D

PhreeMe

Expert Member

I also think the English will be no walkover.

I am thinking we might take all 3 games but only one by more than 8 :p

We must all remember to create a SuperBru group for this :D

I wasn't suggesting this would be easy, rather that we can and should win these games...

MickeyD

RIP
After watching Ruan Pienaar's performance for Ulster in the Heineken Cup semi-final, the coach must be thinking of bringing him back as one of the scrumhalves.

Pity their contracts could prevent any/most Northern hemisphere based players from playing against England in June.

InternetSwag

Expert Member
Would not mind seeing the Springbok B team play against Ulster.

Probably get our asses kicked lmao

PhreeMe

Expert Member
After watching Ruan Pienaar's performance for Ulster in the Heineken Cup semi-final, the coach must be thinking of bringing him back as one of the scrumhalves.

Pity their contracts could prevent any/most Northern hemisphere based players from playing against England in June.

I understand your sentiment here, but disagree.
I WISH players who were not locally involved, would not even be considered to play for the Boks, unless that position could not be filled due to the injury of every player of said position in our country :)

I think it just jaded me a little when it was mostly the 'oldies' that were playing overseas, invited back with open arms, at the expense of players who had really put their hands up in our provinces....

MickeyD

RIP
I understand your sentiment here, but disagree.
I WISH players who were not locally involved, would not even be considered to play for the Boks, unless that position could not be filled due to the injury of every player of said position in our country :)

I think it just jaded me a little when it was mostly the 'oldies' that were playing overseas, invited back with open arms, at the expense of players who had really put their hands up in our provinces....
If they were still playing amateur or semi-professional rugby then I'd agree with you.

PhreeMe

Expert Member
If they were still playing amateur or semi-professional rugby then I'd agree with you.

:D
Again I agree with your sentiment.... but it's not like we have no good Scrum/Fly halves already in SA? Why take someone who chose overseas (read money) instead of those who choose to stay?

When Ruan played for the Sharks, he was the best thing since sliced cheese for me. Now that he's gone (and I can't believe I'm going to utter these words) the Bulls have our answer at scrummy in Hougard. Not that I don't like Charl, but I think Hougard is probably the best in SA right now....

MickeyD

RIP
:D
Again I agree with your sentiment.... but it's not like we have no good Scrum/Fly halves already in SA? Why take someone who chose overseas (read money) instead of those who choose to stay?

When Ruan played for the Sharks, he was the best thing since sliced cheese for me. Now that he's gone (and I can't believe I'm going to utter these words) the Bulls have our answer at scrummy in Hougard. Not that I don't like Charl, but I think Hougard is probably the best in SA right now....
I share your sentiments (sadly).

I believe in picking combinations. If Morne Steyn and Peter Grant are the two flyhalves, then Hougaardt and Duvenhage must be their scrummies.