Sprouting & microgreens

saor

Honorary Master
You don't use lights?
Not right now.

I leave them indoors on a shelf until they emerge them put them on a table where there's more light.
My plan is to get a decent LED grow light so they can grow & green on the shelf - I don't really want to move them the whole time.

You're using a light?

maumau

Honorary Master
Yes, it was cheap and easy. I bought 2 x T5 lighting tubes from the local Lighting Warehouse. They're usually installed under top kitchen cupboards to light the working surface below.

I made a stand out of plastic conduit. Will see if i can find pics.

saor

Honorary Master
Yes, it was cheap and easy. I bought 2 x T5 lighting tubes from the local Lighting Warehouse.
Cool.
And your microgreens grow toward that T5 light - they don't end up leaning toward a window or some other source of light?

(Pics will be nice :))
Growing any microgreens right now?

maumau

Honorary Master
They grow beautifully towards the light, completely ignore the window :)

You can adjust the distance from the frame by using books to raise or lower your trays and another thing, those lights hardly use any electricity.

P.S. forgot i can't post pics from any devices except my work computer so will post tomorrow.

maumau

Honorary Master
Very simple frame, the top picture shows how to raise or lower trays using books. Next time I'll make the feet a bit longer for better balance.

Attachments

maumau

Honorary Master
Nice - they look happy :)
You using soil?.
Yes, germination mix. The microgreens are a real win and now we've been chatting about them I might get a few trays started again :)

They look about ready. I put mine in a large dish to let them get some light and green up for a few hours.
Tks, that's exactly what I'll do this evening. Mine are always a bit pale.

saor

Honorary Master
Here's the video i worked from. I Simplified it a LOT and used T5 instead of T12.
Just watched a few other vids and it seems that T5 is a nice solution. Gonna head down to Builders or something and see if I can find the lights & fixtures. Maybe even see if there's a fixture with a reflective top part. Get a timer on the plug and have that light do it's thing. Looking forward to having stuff growing in the kitchen in one place :).

(Where'd you get your lights & fixtures from?)

Last edited:

saor

Honorary Master
Look forward to seeing your set up :)
Got a t8 bulb & fixture, just need to get round to putting something together. In the meantime the sun is helping out...got some really nice coriander going:

20170321-P1020780.jpg

maumau

Honorary Master
Very, very nice. They look so fresh and full of life.

Coriander doesn't do well in my garden so micros might be the way to go. Pse post pics of your build :)

I'm about to try sprouting sunflower seeds, rinsing them as we speak.

maumau

Honorary Master
Yes, no shell.

Something new for me so it's encouraging to hear they're tasty.

saor

Honorary Master
Was struggling to get nursery-bought herbs to grow in this soil. Ended up scattering various seeds and watering and it's now a sweet microgreen box where things can get as big as they want & I'll occasionally scatter a few more mixed seeds.

1.jpg

2.jpg

saor

Honorary Master
Rocket microgreens getting bigger and aphids invade. Started trying to treat it but realized I have no commitment to this as a long term grow. Can pick whatever and let the rest die out and the aphids depart. Cool thing is it's just a few days from more seeds until there's stuff to eat again.