Spur waiter increases tip on POS machine without me knowing

chefdude98

A group of friends & I went to Spur.

We had a rude & unprofessional waiter.

I always tip, even when I get crap service. I am a softy.

Anyway I tip him about R10 because of his attitude.

Brings the point of sale machine to me, tries to tap my card for instant payment but I have an old card.

I always look at the total before entering my pin.

He increased his tip by a further R20..(on top of the R10 I was tipping him for bad service)

I asked him to adjust the price to what I agreed to pay on the slip. He was hesitant to do so.

I was pissed off & felt taken advantage of, so I asked to pay the total of the bill without a tip.

Will never go to Spur again.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member

Brings the point of sale machine to me, tries to tap my card for instant payment but I have an old card.

He increased his tip by a further R20..(on top of the R10 I was tipping him for bad service)

I asked him to adjust the price to what I agreed to pay on the slip. He was hesitant to do so.

I was pissed off & felt taken advantage of, so I asked to pay the total of the bill without a tip.

Instead of moaning here, I would have dealt with it at the franchise level, with the manager. I am guessing the manager wasn't there so he took a chance.

UrBaN963

Executive Member

I don't think you can condemn the entire franchise due to one waiter, that's ridiculous. Still, that's bad form. Which Spur was this?

chefdude98

I take it you took it up with management?
No dude. I was so pissed off.

In that moment I just wanted to leave.

I try to be pleasant/nice in general. It wasn't about the money for me but I took this personally.

I greet people in the service industry all the time, I give what I can to beggars and occasionally car guards.

It just felt kak and I wanted to leave.

This was at a popular Spur aswell

xrapidx

Honorary Master

I try to be pleasant/nice in general. It wasn't about the money for me but I took this personally.

I greet people in the service industry all the time, I give what I can to beggars and occasionally car guards.

It has nothing to do with Spur - it could have happened at any restaurant.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member

So then which one was it?

eg2505

Honorary Master
waiters love doing this, me I always check and complain rather loudly if things are not my satisfaction.

I pay for the overpriced food, why must I pay for somebodies incompetence.

Surv0

Executive Member
This has nothing to do with the spur as it has to do with the actual waitor.

Your lack of escalating this just creates more problems. You also make a thread here to gain support and maybe get others to take the same stance as you, because why else would you make such a statement? Yet you havent given the Spur a chance to correct the situation and deal with the bad waiter?

Although you were taken advantage, you should have handled this properly.

That said, I would have done the same as you, paid no tip, but would have subtly called the manager to discuss a different topic, then raise this with him, pay and leave. That way you dont have to get your hands dirty dealing with the waiter. You can also go on about his bad service etc.

UrBaN963

Executive Member
I do not support any franchise food outlet, they can all go to hell with their kak food :thumbsup: Will rather pay more for a sit down home cooked proper meal.
Hence I do not eat out often but when i do it is awesome
Wait so you pay your wife when she cooks food? That's a first.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
Dear OP, you like to complain here about every single place that gives you grief.
While I can appreciate it would be fitting if you came here to rant about your internet connection, I can assure you, I will still go to that Spur, and many others, indefinitely.
It is standard practice for me to check the tip and the bill, its second nature. If they get it wrong I tell them to fix it and its done and dusted and we all move on, until next time.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I still love Spur, but yes, there are quite a few dodgy branches.
The Gold Reef City branch for examples is notorious for card skimming and shady practices.
And some branches the food is really sad looking.
IMO, the best Spur Branch in the country is Eastgate, hands down.