Standing Desk recommendation

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
The time has come to buy a standing desk.
I want something that is more or less the same size as my current desk at 135cm x 85cm and which I can lower and raise with all my stuff on it.
I'm not exactly sure what everything weighs, but suspect it's closer to 20k than 15kg. Dual monitor arms with a 27" and 32" monitor, mechanical keyboard etc.

The one best suited to what I want is this:

Any other suggestions?
I would also consider standing desk converters.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Flexispot desk. Love mine.

Rated for 100kg equipment - at least the one I've got. And I fully believe that...thing is built like a tank.

Just double check the courier - the big ones are close to 50kg so not all of them are down with that.

I would stay well clear of anything that relies of springs as "counterweight" to keep a specific height. Either get a electric one or one with a hand-crank.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I bought one of these last year on the Deskstand sale: https://www.deskstand.com/collectio...djustable-electronic-standing-desk-frame-only
I then made a 2200x800mm desk top for it.

One thing I can say is that whatever you go for, make sure it is easy to convert between sitting and standing.
Its not easy to stand for very long periods and depending on what you are doing it sometimes just makes more sense to sit.

There are times the standing function has saved me, worked 19 hours days for 3 weeks straight a few months back and standing literally stopped me from falling asleep while working.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Thanks all for the recommendations.

That 18Kg converter is just barely not enough. My screen and arms is sadly just over 18kg. Otherwise it would have been a great option to save some money.

Flexispot is out of stock everywhere I've looked and Evetech hasn't come back to me yet about their gaming desk, which also looks like a great option.

The frame is a good option, but I think I will start with a desktop included. It's good to know I can replace it if I want to get something a bit nicer or larger.

I have used a standing desk before, by raising mine on bricks, and it worked well for shorter periods of time. I did end up playing more console than PC games in that time though :laugh:
I'm definitely getting something I can adjust on the fly, as I see myself switching every 2 hours or so while working. Standing while frustratingly trying to debug code isn't all that fun.

@Rocket-Boy @C4Cat Did you buy directly from Deskstand.com?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Yup bought directly from Deskstand, their service is great.
Admittedly I dont stand as often as I should, when I remember then I set the alerts on the desk that beeps at you when its time to stand up for a while.

C4Cat

Honorary Master
Also bought directly from deskstand. The website said 8 days to deliver but it arrived the next day! Also, you can get an 11% discount on your first order with them

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Thanks for all the advice, especially about that 11% discount. I couldn't find it on their site, but they let you know if you subscribe to their news letter, and also when you check out that there is a code you can apply.
I might have missed it if you didn't tell me about it.

I ordered last night, and today at around 10:00 I got an email saying that it's ready for their courier partner to collect.

Last edited:

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Quick review time.

I ordered this desk on the Sunday, and it was delivered the Wednesday afternoon:

The whole assembly process took a bit longer than I thought, probably around an hour or so. I usually take longer assembling these things, others could probably do it a lot faster. The natural, light wood laminate desktop is solid, but doesn't really look or feel high quality. I don't know what you can get at Builders for the R2000k it costs more than just the frame though. It is definitely a step up from chip board, and at least the corners are rounded. It did have indents in the bottom where you should screw the frame onto it, which made assembly easier.
Coffee cup stains wipe off easily enough.
Because the frame and desk top is separate, you can later replace it with a nicer top if you want. As you bolt everything to the desktop yourself, you can move the control panel to where you want it. No need to keep it in the default position.

It also came with that nice woodwork shop smell.

The memory function works great, and it lifts and lowers pretty quick. It doesn't seem to have a safety stop, though, so if you have a shelf above the desk which could squash your monitor or case, it could end in tears. For the first week I had it overlapping with a low shelf, and it was almost ripped from the wall when I didn't pay attention while lowering it.

Overall I'm very happy with it. When I feel I need to stand, I press a button, stand up, wait a couple of seconds and now work from a standing position. Same when I want to sit back down again.
It works great with monitor arms, as I tend to adjust my monitor height and position between sitting and standing positions.

I can recommend this to anyone who wants a standing desk, although you can probably get it cheaper if you import the frame from somewhere and get a piece of wood from Builders for the desktop.

I ordered the standing mat today with the 30% discount they've got going on, as standing barefoot or with socks on the floor gets uncomfortable.

Last edited:

squirrel

Expert Member
I've been using a Desk Stand exclusively. Works great and cheap. Have a separate desk and chair for sitting.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Wait
A desk, but it's higher, so you don't sit, but you stand

what will they think of next?

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Wait
A desk, but it's higher, so you don't sit, but you stand

what will they think of next?

577d35cd07ccb86b42f6b3130f63b5d9d809e3b9138b69903d6fe8fba7049004_1.jpg

Cairbre

Looks like I'm going to be going the electronic standing desk route in the near future. Would anyone be interested in splitting a combo deal on frame with me (I'm in jhb)? Works out to 6.7k ea. after the 11% discount:

williamwu

Looks like I'm going to be going the electronic standing desk route in the near future. Would anyone be interested in splitting a combo deal on frame with me (I'm in jhb)? Works out to 6.7k ea. after the 11% discount:

Interested, where are you going to get your table top?

Cairbre

Interested, where are you going to get your table top?
Going to build my own laminate.
They actually have a special running atm (I think it ends today), which works out to 5.2k per frame on the above combo.