Standing Desk recommendation

jeanres

Expert Member
I am tempted to get one, but I am actually afraid that it might be a stupid purchase.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
I am tempted to get one, but I am actually afraid that it might be a stupid purchase.

Of all my purchases last year, it has been the best one, making the biggest difference compared to what I already had.
I came from a (surprisingly good) desk I bought used for R200 though.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
My TekDesk top also seems to be a bit heat sensitive, so I make sure to use some coasters.

From a human perspective I do notice that standing becomes pretty uncomfortable after a bit, but I reckon your foot shape is going to make a big difference there. I can't stand still while barefoot for too long on my mat, but I do a lot better when wearing proper shoes.

Barefoot on the carpet I start to struggle after a while. The buffalo mat barefoot is as comfortable as the most comfortable shoes.
I think I stand for max 3 hours a day, but more like 1.5 - 2 hours on average. It does help though. Very few days go by where I never stand.

animal531

Expert Member
Barefoot on the carpet I start to struggle after a while. The buffalo mat barefoot is as comfortable as the most comfortable shoes.
I think I stand for max 3 hours a day, but more like 1.5 - 2 hours on average. It does help though. Very few days go by where I never stand.

I think in that case I have a foot problem.
I can probably only do 20-30m on the mat without shoes, then my feet become really unhappy. With shoes on the mat I can stand about an hour.

I don't have issues when I'm walking though.

FrankyF

Expert Member
Got mine on Friday afternoon past and after almost two full days of use now, I can also say that this is one of the best buys I've made.

Having standing desks (almost identical to the TekDesk) at my office, but doing WFH for the past 11 months sitting at a small foldup camping table for 9h a day, I can't imagine why it took me so long to invest in a standing desk for home.

The buffalo mat is awesome, it makes standing for an hour or two at a time so much more comfortable. I stand barefoot or with socks but haven't tried it with shoes yet.

I got my TekDesk v2 just in time for DeskStand's bday sale in Feb, so I got a nifty 33% discount on my TekDesk v2/buffalo mat combo.

My 2.5c: If you have a 9h/day sitting job and have the cash to burn, invest in a good quality standing desk. Your back will thank you for it.

FrankyF

Expert Member
Looks like DeskStand is still offering 33% off on certain online items.

Use coupon: TEAM at checkout.

I bought one of these last year on the Deskstand sale: https://www.deskstand.com/collectio...djustable-electronic-standing-desk-frame-only
I then made a 2200x800mm desk top for it.

One thing I can say is that whatever you go for, make sure it is easy to convert between sitting and standing.
Its not easy to stand for very long periods and depending on what you are doing it sometimes just makes more sense to sit.

There are times the standing function has saved me, worked 19 hours days for 3 weeks straight a few months back and standing literally stopped me from falling asleep while working.
Do you have any guidance or recommendations on making your own desk top for it? Looking to do the same, I have just ordred the frame, but I want a different top.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Do you have any guidance or recommendations on making your own desk top for it? Looking to do the same, I have just ordred the frame, but I want a different top.
I was looking for a bigger top than Deskstand were selling, I also wanted it in a different wood.
So I took a sheet of shutter ply and cut that down to size( 850x1200cm) I then glued a piece of 3mm walnut ply to the top to fit the colour I was looking for.
Lastly I added hardwood edge banding to cover the outside surfaces and round off the look.

Its a pretty heavy top but the desk handles it easily, the only real downside is that there is a slight wobble when the desk is at full height, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

I was looking for a bigger top than Deskstand were selling, I also wanted it in a different wood.
So I took a sheet of shutter ply and cut that down to size( 850x1200cm) I then glued a piece of 3mm walnut ply to the top to fit the colour I was looking for.
Lastly I added hardwood edge banding to cover the outside surfaces and round off the look.

Its a pretty heavy top but the desk handles it easily, the only real downside is that there is a slight wobble when the desk is at full height, but you get used to it pretty quickly.
Awesome thank you, I will update on the forum when I sort mine out :)

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member