Standing Desk recommendation

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Perfect. Everything I wanted. I just need to do some cable management bit of a dog show at the moment.

I see you have a table full of mice...
If you run your desktop and laptop at the same time, look at Mouse Without Borders.

Also, is your bookcase under your desk? So will it be a permanent standing desk?

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
I see you have a table full of mice...
If you run your desktop and laptop at the same time, look at Mouse Without Borders.

Also, is your bookcase under your desk? So will it be a permanent standing desk?

Thank you for the Mouse Without Borders idea.

Bookcase is definitely off to the side. I will want to sit sometimes :)

aleksandar

Expert Member
Ah still undecided, placed it in my basket but still not sure if I should pull the plug.
That 30% discount is really tempting!

I have 3 monitor setup and book shelf speakers on the desk.

maxxis

So far so good.

Comfortably holds a 27" Imac, 32" monitor, laptop and two monitor speakers.

My current work top is fairly light but I will still be under the 125kg if I change it since the iMac moves to a different room in the new house.

Standing takes some getting used to. My back isn't loving me right now but the standing mat ensures my feet and ankles stay happy.

_kabal_

Expert Member
so glad I found this thread.

now I need to decide ASAP - WHITE30 works on the following for me:
  • Black frame with birch top - R7,699.30
  • Black frame only - R6,509.30

so R1200 less for frame only, and falls under the Low value office equipment SARS value of R7000.

probably can get a nicer top for close to R1200, so I have probably answered my own question

_kabal_

Expert Member
Builders or Leroy Merlin stock 32mm thick slabs. Compare prices as I found Builders to be slightly cheaper.

do they sell hardwoods? at the end of the day I want a nice looking desk, not building lumber/pine :ROFL:

maxxis

They do a 1800x800x32mm Saligna slab that looks good.

A little elbow grease with sandpaper and then finish with a nice varnish / oil will give you a good clean finish. Saturday afternoon and a couple of beers worth of work.

My top above is a quick hack using shutterply but will soon be redone with a proper top. This one isn't too stable stable.

_kabal_

Expert Member
They do a 1800x800x32mm Saligna slab that looks good.

A little elbow grease with sandpaper and then finish with a nice varnish / oil will give you a good clean finish. Saturday afternoon and a couple of beers worth of work.

My top above is a quick hack using shutterply but will soon be redone with a proper top. This one isn't too stable stable.
nice.

I currently have a door wrapped in vinyl double sided taped to a smaller desk :ROFL: (which is actually a great size)

lets see what I can find in cape town

FrankyF

Expert Member
Perfect. Everything I wanted. I just need to do some cable management bit of a dog show at the moment.
Nice

Look at getting a bracket for your PC case. Makes a big difference.

I got this:

8caac67ef8879b78331d72b6f838f6b1.jpg

maxxis

Anyone else finding it slightly difficult to adjust to standing?

Not my feet or ankles but more my lower back and hips taking a hit.

Tinuva

The Magician
My frame arrived a week ago. Looks like my own hardwood top wlll arrive tomorrow. Can' wait to get it assembled. Also have a select few more goodies that will make it better, but another few still deciding on how to do them, so some later upgrades will be good too.