State capture inquiry begins

schumi

Honorary Master
Vytjie Mentor can’t tell Hlongwane and Hlongwa apart in testimony

Testimony from the former ANC MP has been marred by an inability to distinguish between key players, while some were just ‘Indian looking’.
A visibly nervous Vytjie Mentor took the stand to give testimony in the second week of the commission of inquiry into state capture on Monday morning, admitting that she has trouble distinguishing between Brian Hlongwa and Fana Hlongwane. She testified that the latter was present when she met with then president Jacob Zuma.

This is the second time a failure of memory has marred testimony in the inquiry. Last week, former deputy finance minister Mcebisi Jonas admitted that he could not be sure if the man present when he was allegedly offered R600 million to take over from Nhlanhla Nene as finance minister was Ajay or Rajesh Gupta.

While Jonas testified that a Gupta brother had made the offer and threatened his life if he went public with it after he refused, he was not completely sure which Gupta brother it was.

In her testimony, Mentor also suffered from confusion. While she maintains the man with Zuma at a meeting she attended was businessman Hlongwane, it was pointed out that she had previously named Hlongwa in a book she wrote.

She detailed a meeting with Zuma and two people she could only identify as being “Indian looking”.
More at: https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa/2000656/vytjie-mentor-cant-tell-hlongwane-and-hlongwa-apart-in-testimony/

thechamp

Honorary Master
When you don't know the names of your own comrades. Not too long ago Maphatsoe referred to some Jonas Mcebisi who was not being honest.

surface

Executive Member
When you don't know the names of your own comrades. Not too long ago Maphatsoe referred to some Jonas Mcebisi who was not being honest.
Yip - she seems to have made too many mistakes like that.

https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa/2000656/vytjie-mentor-cant-tell-hlongwane-and-hlongwa-apart-in-testimony/

Mentor answered that this was a mistake she could not explain except to say that both the businessman and ANC
politician had been in the media, and that she had mixed up the surnames, mistakenly believing that Hlongwane’s name was Brian and Hlongwa’s Fana.

She detailed a meeting with Zuma and two people she could only identify as being “Indian looking”

“Ajay and Atul are two confusing Indian names,” she told the commission.

schumi

Honorary Master
Gigaba implemented the Guptas’ India flights plan – Vytjie Mentor

Ajay Gupta asked her about stopping SAA’s Johannesburg-Mumbai flights, which she refused, ‘but Malusi Gigaba did so when he replaced Barbara Hogan’.

Lakela Kaunda – ex-president Jacob Zuma’s most trusted aide, who served as deputy director-general in the presidency during his reign – arranged the meeting eight years ago between the Gupta family and former ANC member of parliament Vytjie Mentor where a Cabinet position offer was made at the Saxonwold family compound, the Commission of Inquiry into State Capture heard yesterday.
In her testimony before Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo, Mentor, who chaired the parliamentary portfolio committee on public enterprises, told of how she struggled to secure a meeting with Zuma to discuss the implications of government’s stance to ditch the pebble bed modular reactor (PBMR) project.
“I had been trying to meet the president to discuss the PBMR and made several attempts as I was concerned about public pronouncements made to close the project,” said Mentor.
“I was concerned about the intellectual property rights which sat with Eskom, having an agreement with Westinghouse – an American electric company,” said Mentor.
Classified in late 1999 as a strategic national project due to its significance and potential in international markets, the PBMR was a public-private partnership comprising the South African government, nuclear industry players and utilities.
According to Mentor, on one Sunday evening in 2010, a call came through from Kaunda confirming the much-awaited meeting she desperately wanted to have with Zuma.
“Lakela said the meeting I wanted to have with the president was going to take place the following day and I had to prepare taking a flight from Cape Town to Johannesburg,” Mentor said.
More at: https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa/2001029/gigaba-implemented-the-guptas-india-flights-plan-vytjie-mentor/

schumi

Honorary Master
#StateCaptureInquiry: Mentor describes her encounter with Zuma at Gupta's Saxonwold home

Former president Jacob Zuma did not address the issue of the Guptas offering former ANC MP Vytjie Mentor a ministerial job, but instead tried to calm her down, the commission of inquiry into state capture heard on Tuesday.
Mentor continued with her testimony on day five of the inquiry headed by Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo. She said that Zuma was more interested in her regaining her composure than in the fact that the Guptas had offered her a Cabinet post.

She detailed her encounter with Zuma at the Gupta compound in Saxonwold in 2010, weeks ahead of a reshuffle in which public enterprises minister Barbara Hogan was fired.
Mentor told the commission that Zuma had walked in while she was in an altercation with the eldest of the Gupta brothers, Ajay, after she rejected the offer of a Cabinet position in exchange for dropping the SAA Johannesburg-Mumbai route in favour of Gupta airline JetAirways.

"I felt that he was not paying attention to issues I was bringing to him, and I felt that he was finding issue with my agitation and anger, and that further frustrated me," she said.
Mentor said she then decided to leave for the airport, as Zuma was not engaging on the issue.
"Then I told the president that I am leaving because the atmosphere was inexplicable to me and… it was like I was the one who was the mad party... the president was not engaging with the issues I was raising," she said.
More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/statecaptureinquiry-mentor-describes-her-encounter-with-zuma-at-guptas-saxonwold-home-20180828

schumi

Honorary Master
Vytjie Mentor: Hawks told me to remove Zuma’s name from my statement

Former ANC MP Vytjie Mentor says a Hawks officer pressured her into removing former president Jacob Zuma’s name from her criminal complaint against the Gupta family.
She claimed she agreed to do so‚ in the hope that it would result in her case actually being investigated.
According to Mentor‚ Hawks official Alois Mtolo told her “that the matter is not going to proceed unless I remove President Zuma from my statement”.
She said he previously told her “that I have complained about President Zuma and I have tied their hands”.
“He had problems with where I said there is a corrupt relationship between the Guptas‚ the president and his son.”
The Zondo Inquiry into state capture was provided with a copy of Mentor’s typed statement‚ which showed that Zuma’s name had been “struck through”.

More at: https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2018-08-28-vytjie-mentor-hawks-told-me-to-remove-zumas-name-from-my-statement/

schumi

Honorary Master
Vytjie Mentor gets extra protection over fears her hotel room was tampered with

Judge Raymond Zondo has ordered the legal team of the State Capture Commission of Inquiry to urgently intervene to secure the safety of former ANC MP Vytjie Mentor‚ after she tearfully told him that she was afraid her hotel room had been tampered with.

Mentor informed the judge at the end of her second day of testimony at the inquiry that she did not want to be “alarmist”‚ but that she had discovered two nights before that the latch on her room door was not working. She said she had been staying in the same room every time she travelled to Johannesburg for the commission’s business and for meetings with her lawyers.

Mentor said she alerted the hotel staff that her room was unable to lock and they told her that it had been fixed.
More at: https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2018-08-28-vytjie-mentoor-gets-extra-protection-over-fears-her-hotel-room-was-tampered-with/

schumi

Honorary Master
#StateCaptureInquiry: Mantashe snubbed me, says Vytjie Mentor

Johannesburg - Former ANC MP Vytjie Mentor on Tuesday revealed that the governing party's former secretary-general Gwede Mantashe and his deputy at the time, Jessie Duarte, failed to take seriously her claims that the Guptas offered her a ministerial position.

Mentor told the Commission of Inquiry into State Capture headed by Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo that during the meeting Mantashe simply walked away, saying he had another meeting to attend.
More at : https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/statecaptureinquiry-mantashe-snubbed-me-says-vytjie-mentor-16789125

schumi

Honorary Master
Mantashe again threatens to sue Mentor over ‘manufactured facts’

The minister reportedly said that she “appears to suffer from memory lapse”.

ANC national chairperson Gwede Mantashe, also the mineral resources minister, reportedly told eNCA journalist Xoli Mngambi that, should he be called to testify at the state capture inquiry chaired by Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo, he would clarify certain issues raised by former ANC MP Vytjie Mentor during her testimony.
More at : https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa/2001842/mantashe-again-threatens-to-sue-mentor-over-manufactured-facts/

schumi

Honorary Master
Maseko lays bare Guptas’ ‘bullying, intimidation tactics’

“Tell us where the money is and tell departments to give you money; if they refuse we will deal with them,” Ajay Gupta allegedly told Maseko.

The controversial Gupta family’s inappropriate demands on former government spokesperson Themba Maseko to channel government’s advertising spend to their newspaper, The New Age, bordered on breaking the laws of the country, the commission of inquiry into state capture heard today.

Maseko was CEO of government communication and information system (GCIS) at the time between 2008 and 2011.

He said he had told the former public protector Thuli Madonsela, who was investigating state capture allegations from 2016, that the approach and the manner in which the fugitive family sought to put pressure on him to carry out their instructions was “inappropriate, uncalled for and irregular”.
More at : https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa/2002185/maseko-lays-bare-guptas-bullying-intimidation-tactics

schumi

Honorary Master
#StateCaptureInquiry: Guptas were surprised how easy it was to get cash from government – Maseko

Former Cabinet spokesperson Themba Maseko has detailed how he was fired shortly after refusing to abide by former president Jacob Zuma's instruction to "help" the Guptas.
Maseko was the fourth witness to testify at the judicial commission of inquiry into state capture on Thursday.
He told the commission that he was fired a month after he refused to meet with the Guptas, who were demanding that the R600m budget for media spend under the Government Communication and Information System (GCIS) be spent on their newspaper, The New Age, which later went to print for the first time in December 2010.

Maseko told the commission that Zuma "coincidentally" called him as he was driving out to meet the eldest of the Gupta brothers, Ajay, for the first time. He said the call lasted barely 90 seconds.
"My brother, there are these Gupta brothers who need to meet you, who need your help, please do help them," Maseko said Zuma told him in the short telephone call from his official residence of Mahlamba Ndlopfu. He said Zuma was speaking in isiZulu at the time.

He said that it was the first and only time Zuma had ever called him instructing him to meet and help people in the private sector.

Ajay Gupta 'cut to the chase'

It left him concerned and he lost a bit of control, Maseko said.
More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/statecaptureinquiry-guptas-were-surprised-how-easy-it-was-to-get-cash-from-government-maseko-20180830

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
And the sad part , is nothing will happen.

Reading some of these articles it is insane how these Guptas was running the country. Helping themselves to tax payer money!

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
And the sad part , is nothing will happen.

Reading some of these articles it is insane how these Guptas was running the country. Helping themselves to tax payer money!
Zuma was the kingpin, Guptas couldn't do it without their corrupt president..

R13...

Honorary Master
I wonder if Zuma knew exactly how much the Gupats earned from this enterprise? He's not exactly very good with money or counting and his son was just as much a puppet.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
I wonder if Zuma knew exactly how much the Gupats earned from this enterprise? He's not exactly very good with money or counting and his son was just as much a puppet.
Would love to know how much JZ made. I can't see him doing it for a few million... maybe 100 of millions.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2018-08-30-themba-maseko-sa-now-had-a-parallel-system-of-government/

Maseko says he has looked at versions thereof in countries like Russia, India and to an extent, the United States and had read the book Once Upon a Time in Russia which speaks to how a state can be captured by powerful people.

Asked why he thought the Guptas approached him so early on in their wave of State Capture, Maseko said he believed they were targeting GCIS as the institution, rather than him.

“I wouldn’t give the Guptas that credit, that they had a clear plan to hit the media, then a dairy farm and then state-owned entities. This was about low-hanging fruit, GCIS was in the Presidency and if they felt they had influence and control over the president.”

This was no grand plan or strategy, they were essentially saying ‘we need cash, what’s the quickest way to get it”.

With a chuckle, he added: “They probably surprised themselves when they realised how easily it came together for them in this country.”

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
They probably surprised themselves when they realised how easily it came together for them in this country.”
Ha .. because the ANC is selling the country. And yet they blame the white devils so their voters can vote for more corruption and state capture.