State capture inquiry begins

Sneeky

Honorary Master
Jimmy / Mzwanele, whatever, I can think of more suitable names.

And lest we forget 'the weekend wonder' Des Van Rooyen.
This is a good read.
https://mg.co.za/article/2018-08-31-00-van-rooyen-lost-no-time-in-the-treasury

Some tidbits

Investigators for the Zondo commission of enquiry into state capture have been tasked to discover what exactly Van Rooyen did during his tenure as finance minister. He was at the helm of the treasury for just one day but reports indicate that it took mere hours for Van Rooyen to feed information to the Guptas.
“The officials will testify about that one Friday that Des van Rooyen was in office and the meeting he called and what he wanted from the officials.”
Van Rooyen is a central figure in the allegations of state capture in both his capacity as short-lived finance minister and his longer tenure as co-operative governance and traditional affairs minister.

Van Rooyen, still a staunch Zuma supporter and defender, arrived at the treasury with two advisers, Ian Whitley and Mohamed Bobat, who were allegedly handpicked by the Guptas. At the time Whitley was ANC deputy secretary general Jessie Duarte’s son-in-law.
more at the link.

schumi

Honorary Master
‘Muthambi wanted to steal at all costs,’ says Williams of ‘torture’ she endured

The acting director-general of GCIS has said the former minister made her feel that she was back in the hands of the apartheid police.

Government Communications and Information Service (GCIS) acting director-general Phumla Williams wrapped up her testimony on Monday morning at the state capture commission of inquiry and opened up about the difficulties of working with the former communications minister Faith Muthambi.

Muthambi was appointed by then president Jacob Zuma.

Williams became emotional towards the end of her testimony and said Muthambi had in effect “tortured” her.

“I was no longer sleeping. I had nightmares. My facial twitches were back. I had panic attacks. I saw torture going through my body again,” she said of the effect of working with Muthambi, who was implicated in the Gupta Leaks for having shared confidential information with the Gupta family.

“I never thought in this government people can do such things.”
Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo adjourned the hearing for the day, and it is scheduled to resume on Thursday.
He told Williams she may have to return for cross-examination by those she had named.

More at: https://citizen.co.za/news/south-af...ll-costs-says-williams-of-torture-she-endured

schumi

Honorary Master
Zuma protected Muthambi, state capture inquiry hears

Zuma protected Muthambi, state capture inquiry hears ‘They were looting and they knew I would never have allowed it. I am hoping he [Zuma] will find it in himself to explain this,’ Phumla Williams told reporters.

Acting government spokesperson Phumla Williams says she believes that former president Jacob Zuma shielded ex-communications minister Faith Muthambi as she ”wreaked havoc” at the Government Communication and Information Systems (GCIS).

She wrapped up her testimony today before the state capture inquiry, detailing Muthambi’s reign of terror following her appointment as communications minister in 2014. Her request for intervention from Zuma went unanswered.

”I think he [Zuma] protected this woman [Muthambi]…I do not know why except to say that removing key functions from me suited them. They were looting and they knew that I would never have allowed it. I am hoping he [Zuma] will find it in himself to explain this,” she told reporters after finishing her testimony.

Williams testified Muthambi’s ”bullying” caused her stress and panic attacks, and brought her memories of torture she suffered from the apartheid regime after she was arrested in 1988.

Earlier, evidence leader Kate Hofmeyer announced that the commission’s investigators were probing Mzwanele ”Jimmy” Manyi’s text to Williams while she was testifying on Friday. In the text, Manyi said: ”Hi Phumla. Please indicate that the CFO and breakfasts happened AFTER my era.” Williams informed the inquiry about Manyi’s text message

More at: https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa/2004169/zuma-protected-muthambi-state-capture-inquiry-hears

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opi...iry-here-is-why-the-anc-is-actually-on-trial/

Former ANC spin doctor, Zizi Kodwa, insists that the ANC is not on trial before the Zondo Commission sitting in Parktown to inquire into the phenomenon of grand corruption that has become commonly known as the “capture of the state”. Kodwa is quite wrong. Here’s why.

If the ANC chooses, for reasons of its very fraught internal factional politics, to put off establishing the Integrity Commission until after the Zondo Commission report in two or three years from now, it will do the country a great disservice and knobble the prospects of recovering the assets and funds of the state misappropriated during the capture process. It will place the country at risk of becoming a failed state.

The time to establish the Integrity Commission is now; the need to end cadre deployment is immediate as is the need for steps to end impunity for the well-connected and to recover the billions misappropriated. Whether the ANC can generate the necessary political will to do what is needed, remains to be seen. It will suffer at the ballot box in 2019 if it is perceived by voters to be what it currently appears to be: irreversibly and collectively corrupt.

schumi

Honorary Master
'Phumla Williams is one of the most shameful manipulators and liars that I have ever had the displeasure to encounter' - Faith Muthambi

Former communications minister Faith Muthambi says she is seeking legal advice after she was implicated in the commission of inquiry into state capture, by acting GCIS Director General Phumla Williams.
In a statement released on Tuesday, Muthambi threatened to expose Williams' testimony as lies.
"I am seeking legal advice on these extremely once-sided evidence laced with half-truths and blatant lies that Ms Williams presented to the Commission. A very different truth will emerge, and her lies and reactionary agenda will be finally exposed for all to see (sic)," Muthambi said.
She added that Williams' testimony violated the credibility of the commission.

More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...pleasure-to-encounter-faith-muthambi-20180904

BBSA

Honorary Master
I wonder if there is someone listen to all of this, and think "I am so glad I voted ANC"

How many actually thinks "****, I must never again vote ANC"

Last edited:

ekske1

Executive Member
I wonder if someone listen to all of this, and think "I am so glad I voted ANC"

How many actually thinks "****, I must never again vote ANC"
Sadly those that should listen to this probably isn't and will continue to votella a better life for the anc.

BBSA

Honorary Master
Sadly those that should listen to this probably isn't and will continue to votella a better life for the anc.

Many does listen, but hope that they are part of the looting in the future.

R13...

Honorary Master
As deluded as ever
Zuma brushes off state capture ‘evidence’
Former president Jacob Zuma doesn’t believe any of the evidence led in the State Capture Inquiry so far implicates him in criminal and ethical wrongdoing – and he has not applied to cross-examine a single witness.

Zuma – who was on Monday accused of “protecting” a delinquent cabinet minister accused of wanting to “steal at all costs” – has never responded under oath to the state capture allegations against him.

schumi

Honorary Master
#StateCaptureInquiry: Zondo raises concerns over Guptas' refusal to return to SA

Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo has expressed concerns over the Gupta brothers' application to cross-examine witnesses from abroad.

Advocate Mike Hellens, SC, for Ajay Gupta told the commission on Thursday that his client was willing to testify and wanted to cross-examine witnesses from a location outside South Africa.

Hellens claimed that the Gupta brothers were worried about possibly being arrested if they returned to South Africa, labeling the Hawks and the National Prosecuting Authority "recklessly incompetent and a national embarrassment".

However, Zondo, who chairs the commission, accused the Guptas of wanting to enjoy the benefits of South Africa's legal system without subjecting themselves to its processes.

"How do you tell a body such as this one that you want to participate, but participate on your own terms?" Zondo asked.

"They are the ones who on their own version have taken themselves outside of this process. If they don't get granted leave to cross-examine it is because of their own decisions to leave the country and decision to say 'we are not coming back because we have no faith in the legal system of South Africa'."

More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...-over-guptas-refusal-to-return-to-sa-20180906

Spliffcat

Executive Member
The idiots will keep on voting for the corrupt scum.
The idiots deserve nothing more.
Once the starvation arrives and the fat arse KFC trough dries up. Maybe then some brain cells might appear.

ekske1

Executive Member
The idiots will keep on voting for the corrupt scum.
The idiots deserve nothing more.
Once the starvation arrives and the fat arse KFC trough dries up. Maybe then some brain cells might appear.

Like this idiot(s) ?

This. I don't understand why further deliberation is necessary. Whatever the DA is, it isn't worse than the ANC or EFF. So just vote DA and be done with it.