State capture inquiry begins

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Oh noes...

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2019-08-13-jacob-zuma-goes-mia-as-derek-hanekoms-lawyers-try-to-serve-notice/

Jacob Zuma goes MIA as Derek Hanekom’s lawyers try to serve notice
How hard can it be to serve a former president of the Republic of South Africa with a letter of demand? Almost impossible, as Derek Hanekom’s legal firm found when trying to serve Jacob Zuma with court papers.

Derek Hanekom’s legal team is having trouble serving Jacob Zuma. I wouldn’t be surprised that Zuma is also evading the Zondo commission’s legal team. We are past the two weeks, and by now they have either come to an agreement or haven’t approached Zondo to remedy the time in which Zuma must provide statements. Zondo should have compelled Zuma the moment he triggered the exit strategy, and I have an idea that this special agreement remedied Zuma’s circumstances to be compelled.

Oh well, time will tell. Special treatment, nonetheless.

access

Executive Member
Oh noes...

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2019-08-13-jacob-zuma-goes-mia-as-derek-hanekoms-lawyers-try-to-serve-notice/

Derek Hanekom’s legal team is having trouble serving Jacob Zuma. I wouldn’t be surprised that Zuma is also evading the Zondo commission’s legal team. We are past the two weeks, and by now they have either come to an agreement or haven’t approached Zondo to remedy the time in which Zuma must provide statements. Zondo should have compelled Zuma the moment he triggered the exit strategy, and I have an idea that this special agreement remedied Zuma’s circumstances to be compelled.

Oh well, time will tell. Special treatment, nonetheless.
strange, the mia article doesnt open for me from any outside link, but if i navigate to it through their site it opens.

TysonRoux

Expert Member
How many are in jail?

Zondo commission a year later, Guptas still yet to testify

Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo kicked off proceedings at the state capture commission of inquiry in Parktown on this day last year.

A year into the establishment of the state capture commission, concerns are being raised about the effectiveness of the inquiry.

The Zondo Commission of Inquiry was set up by former President Jacob Zuma after a directive from the High Court to probe allegations of fraud and corruption in the public service following claims of the Gupta family’s undue influence on the state.

Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo kicked off proceedings at the state capture commission of inquiry in Parktown on this day last year.

Some are now facing corruption charges, others have lost their jobs, some companies have been brought to their knees and the African National Congress has been left deeply divided.

The first witness at the commission was Treasury’s acting chief procurement officer Willie Mathebula, who detailed weaknesses in the procurement system leading to corruption in the issuing of tenders.

Key witnesses that followed included Nhlanhla Nene, Mcebisi Jonas, Pravin Gordhan, and Vytjie Mentor.

But more shocking was the testimony of former Bosasa executive Angelo Agrizzi who exposed corruption between the company and government employees.

TysonRoux

Expert Member
They don't dare put any real pressure on the Gupta's, ....... they might expose even more ANC cadres.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
The search for evidence continues, but some of these low-lifes have gone to great lengths, with safety deposit boxes and high-paid lawyers, trying to conceal the facts. Very interesting article: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2019-08-23-do-not-disturb-sign-stays-on-kuben-moodleys-safety-deposit-boxes-for-now/
Court papers reveal sensational detail of wads of US dollars and South African rands in ‘extra, extra-large’ safety deposit boxes held by Knox Titanium Vault for Gupta lieutenant Kuben Moodley. Meanwhile, Moodley’s wife, a former Eskom board member, has emptied her box and hauled the contents away in a suitcase.
The High Court in Johannesburg, critical of “unauthorised conduct” by the Zondo Commission of Inquiry into State Capture, has handed down a cost order against it following a dramatic bid to seize the contents of rented safety deposit boxes belonging to alleged Gupta “fixer” Kuben Moodley.

Moodley rushed to court last month to set aside what he deemed a misdirected summons served on Knox Titanium Vault Company without his knowledge.

On Wednesday 21 August 2019, the court set aside the summons, as well as a subsequent search-and-seizure warrant that sought to prohibit Moodley from accessing the boxes and for the content to be handed to the commission.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
on one side I wish the ANC will rip itself apart
on the other side, I'm not prepared for the fallout that'll follow that...

Cius

Executive Member
on one side I wish the ANC will rip itself apart
on the other side, I'm not prepared for the fallout that'll follow that...
I am, its the only way forwards for the country. The ANC as a single body will never be taken on by anything effective. They are too big. Even if they drop to 49% and a coalition takes power because that coalition would include such different parties policy change would not follow and that is what we most need. An ANC split with an honest side and a dishonest side (perhaps more honest vs dishonest is more likely) could lead to a situation where the better ANC could work with the DA to run the country and the FF+ leaving out the EFF and the Ace/Zuma ANC faction. Its honestly the only situation I see in the next 20 years that would have a hope of fixing SA.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
CR is going have a tough time with this dirty ANC Zuptoid comrat.

Just came here to post another version of the same story: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/magashule-should-be-behind-bars-dukwana-tells-state-capture-inquiry-20190828
'Magashule should be behind bars', Dukwana tells state capture inquiry

TysonRoux

Expert Member
4. State capture will be sorted out by Christmas, no problem
“Don’t worry about thugs who are hijacking the state, I am going to finish them before Christmas.” Fikile Mbalula, 7 September 2017

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
4. State capture will be sorted out by Christmas, no problem

The Zondo Commission commenced their hearings on August 20th, 2018. This was to gather oral evidence. The report was scheduled to be done by now already, mid-2019. The commission was established to complete their investigation within 180 days. Last year they approached the High Court to be granted with a 24-month extension which was to give them more time to investigate individuals like Jacob Zuma. This extension runs up to March 2020, meaning that they would need to conclude their investigation in February. Last month the commission again approached the High Court to be extended, again, which haven't been granted to date.

This extension is important, should it not be granted then the commission's time may be a waste. I don't have the rules at hand, but I believe that the report may be submitted at any time. I guess the report will be submitted by December 2020, and then it is the waiting game as the then-current president must decide on what happens next... It may also be that we never see the report in our days.

This can be dragged out, they may extend these investigations up to the day Jesus comes or scrap it as inconclusive. ANC™.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
This could be interesting, though any real evidence is long gone: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/state-capture-inquiry-seizes-safety-deposit-boxes-belonging-to-alleged-gupta-fixer-report-20190901
Three safety deposit boxes containing Kruger rands and different currencies belonging to alleged Gupta "fixer" Kuben Moodley have been seized by the commission of inquiry into state capture after it obtained a search-and-seizure warrant, the Sunday World reported.

The contents of the boxes, according to court papers lodged by Moodley, were allegedly stashed by several politicians and former Transnet executives, such as former chief financial officer Anoj Singh and CEOs Brian Molefe and Siyabonga Gama, the report said.

biometrics

Honorary Master
The Zondo Commission commenced their hearings on August 20th, 2018. This was to gather oral evidence. The report was scheduled to be done by now already, mid-2019. The commission was established to complete their investigation within 180 days. Last year they approached the High Court to be granted with a 24-month extension which was to give them more time to investigate individuals like Jacob Zuma. This extension runs up to March 2020, meaning that they would need to conclude their investigation in February. Last month the commission again approached the High Court to be extended, again, which haven't been granted to date.

This extension is important, should it not be granted then the commission's time may be a waste. I don't have the rules at hand, but I believe that the report may be submitted at any time. I guess the report will be submitted by December 2020, and then it is the waiting game as the then-current president must decide on what happens next... It may also be that we never see the report in our days.

This can be dragged out, they may extend these investigations up to the day Jesus comes or scrap it as inconclusive. ANC.
The NPA is independent.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The NPA is independent.
What does the NPA have to do with the Zondo Commission’s mandate? Their task is simple, to investigate and report back to the president, which at this time is Ramaphosa, and to make recommendations. These recommendations, however, aren’t binding.

The prosecuting authorities don’t have to wait on the report, they may initiate action wherever ‘suggested’ criminality may have occurred. The issue is, an amendment was made to protect witnesses against implicating themselves in any crime. Shouldn’t this amendment have been made, then the Zondo Commission wouldn’t have had ‘credible’ or ‘supporting’ witnesses being able to test the evidence. How is the NPA going to work their way around this?

How many prosecutions have been initiated to date, ignoring those by the SAHRC?

TysonRoux

Expert Member
Looks forward to the sparks when high profile Zuptoids get nailed.

Flames are starting to lick at the man in the asbestos suit, Ace Magashule

The real question is what it has been for several months – (when) will the National Prosecuting Authority act on ample evidence given against Ace Magashule and others at the Zondo Commission?

It has been suggested many times that the dominant political dynamic within the African National Congress (ANC) at the moment is the complicated relationship between the leader of the party, President Cyril Ramaphosa, and its Secretary-General, Ace Magashule. This is a relationship of a constant conflict whose balance of power appears to ebb and flow with the factions’ tides. Within this dynamic is also the spectre of the real possibility of criminal charges being laid against Magashule. The testimony that was heard at the Zondo Commission last week, and his response to it, may well suggest that that moment is coming closer, which would radically change the balance of power. It is well known that our politics moves impossibly quickly. Last week, news editors would have had to make hard decisions between the unexpected death of Gavin Watson, Zandile Gumede’s decision to resign, and then rescind her resignation as Ethekwini mayor, and the flood of damaging information coming out of the Zondo Commission. In the fullness of time, it might well be that the most important information that came to light was actually that which concerns Magashule. On the stand was the former Free State Economic Development MEC Mxolisi Dukwana. He is well known for his opposition to Magashule; he had previously explained how Magashule had taken him to Saxonwold to meet the Guptas. But his testimony last week was more shocking, and backed up by documentary evidence. To sum it up, Dukwana says there is email correspondence that shows that Magashule received a R10-million payment as part of a tender that saw roofs in the Free State being checked to see if they contained asbestos. The total tender was for R255-million which meant that to check 300,000 dwellings would cost R850 per house. And yet, as Dukwana explained, it appears the sum was done backwards; the starting amount was R255-million and that was then divided by R850 to arrive at the number of 300,000 houses. He also testified that this information could have been gathered by municipalities very easily, but instead this tender came from the provincial government.
In the meantime, of course, the real question is what it has been for several months: will the NPA act on evidence from the Zondo Commission, and if so, when? While there have been repeated comments from NPA head Shamila Batohi that progress is being made in these investigations, there are some signs that public patience is running out. She may now herself start to face more pressure to act; it is entirely possible that some groups start to very publicly preparing for private prosecutions in some cases. Only she can answer that question, and until she does, the politics of our time is likely to be dominated by doubt in Ramaphosa’s state ability to deal with corruption.

Last edited: