State capture inquiry begins

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

‘We’re not sure Gavin Watson is really dead’ – Agrizzi lawyer fuels conspiracy
Daniel Wiltz, representing Angelo Agrizzi in court on Wednesday, sparked further speculation that ex-Bosasa CEO Gavin Watson 'staged his own death'.

The advocate representing former Bosasa executive Angelo Agrizzi has stunned the courtroom on Wednesday, after he suggested that the company’s former CEO, Gavin Watson, may have possibly faked his own death in August 2019.

surface

Executive Member
Ok.. I read it. Sort of agree.. but holy moly... tricky slippery slope IMHO.
In theory, if by employing this strategy, if one can put Zuma & Gupta behind bars, few petty thieves could be let go off. I really don't see jail for Zuma (sympathy because of age and he still seem to have lawyers - socks must be selling like hot cakes) but one can dream of jailing Guptas - they are young and they are not going go get any sympathy from anyone except likes of niehaus. Long way to go for that one though. One can live in hope.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Now that Zuma’s legal team is making a move to remove Zondo, I wonder whether they will do so with success? They don’t necessarily have to remove Zondo, all they need to do is create doubt. I don’t think Zuma is going to attend his hearing.

eg2505

Honorary Master
So this shebam started two years ago... anyone been arrested yet?
nope, just a smokescreen to show they take corruption seriously.
and I think its just the tip of the iceberg.

I honestly dont think a cent of our tax money gets spent on infrastructure
it all gets eaten by the cadres, but hey, BMW's are expensive, yes?

skimread

Honorary Master
Zuma slates Zondo commission into state capture for probing his children’s bank accounts (iol.co.za)

Cape Town - Former president Jacob Zuma has launched a broadside attack at the Zondo Commission for investigating his children’s bank accounts, saying he would not take the matter lying down.

He described the investigation as an attack on his children and said he considered it a declaration of war which he would not take lying down.

In a statement dated October 15, Zuma said he was appalled the commission targeting his children. He said he would not tolerate this and would fight the “attack” on his children with all his might.

The former president went on to say that the commission should attack him and not his children.

"My family and I have not known peace under apartheid and yet we remain tagged in post-apartheid South Africa. I have tolerated intense harassment and relentless vilification for 25 years.

“My opponents have now decided to target my children and this is where I draw the line and state that this harassment of my children is a declaration of war.

“The system has crossed the line and I will fight with all I have. I have subjected myself to the biased legal system and despite my reservation have respected its crooked ways and political and selective prosecution.

“However, targeting my children is a despicable act conducted by those in power who do this on behalf of the old apartheid system that seems to have returned to the driving seat and is in control of many of our organs of state and law enforcement institutions," said Zuma.

Zuma is engaged in a tussle with the commission and has claimed it was biased against him.

He has been ordered to appear before it again in November after his initial appearance last year.

But his return to the commission has been mired in a fight with its head, Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo.

However, in a statement Zuma said he would not allow the involvement of his children in his battles.

He said his children should not be dragged into his problems. He said he was the man at the centre of the investigation into allegations of state capture by the commission and not his children.

"However, I condemn as utter cowardice the attempts to target my children by way of clandestine investigations into matters that have nothing to do with them.

“My children live their own lives separately and must be treated like any child or person that has not been implicated in any wrongdoing.

“So far, they have not been served with any notices indicating that they are in any way implicated by any witness selected by the commission," said Zuma.

He said it was disturbing his children learned via the media they were subjected to this investigation.

He said he would not take this lying down and would fight it.
For a guy that has such a serious illness he has to go to Cuba for Baby fetus treatment, yet he has the ability to go to war.
How does the court looking into your bank account be as bad as apartheid?
What does going to war mean. Destruction of property. Illegal marches? Intimidting judges. He already has done so. Zuma faction about to show their power if the bank accounts of his kids are looked into.

krycor

Honorary Master
Zuma slates Zondo commission into state capture for probing his children’s bank accounts (iol.co.za)

For a guy that has such a serious illness he has to go to Cuba for Baby fetus treatment, yet he has the ability to go to war.
How does the court looking into your bank account be as bad as apartheid?
What does going to war mean. Destruction of property. Illegal marches? Intimidting judges. He already has done so. Zuma faction about to show their power if the bank accounts of his kids are looked into.
Pretty sure his kids qualify as PEP as part of the KYC process.. so regardless.. it was and will be under scrutiny while influence(and fraud and corruption) is perceived to exist.

problem is both local and more so international banks have proven to be lackadaisical especially with non-sanctioned countries/companies ie which the US hasn’t taken action against.

It’s weird as pre-2008 I suspect this was better albeit procedure not in place globally so every bank did their own thing vs risk but post crisis, it seems banks consciously look the other way as fines aren’t as bad vs gains.. ie like our CC with monopolies.

wombling

Fantastic! If you are implicated in as much corruption as JZ this should be a part of the standard process. His kids are named in loads of suspicious dealings also. The NPA should absolutely look into his bank account and his kids since they are named in seriously dodgy dealings. You cannot expect that you're presumed innocent when the whole country knows you're the source of corruption. Heck - the first time he was accused of being a corrupt douchebag was when he was fired as deputy president by Mbeki for being corrupt.

chrisc

Executive Member
JM says ZONDO is a black man with too much whiteness inside. Therefore he cannot offer an impartial judgement