Steam Deck unveiled

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Valve unveils portable steam gaming console

Nintendo Co.’s Switch has some new competition. Closely held video game publisher Valve Corp. introduced a portable gaming device Thursday that resembles the Switch but will have technical capabilities comparable to a gaming PC or console, according to the company.

The Steam Deck, which will be available in December starting at $400, will allow users to play sophisticated computer games on the go.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Too expensive in my opinion, but of course the American market can afford it, and SA won't see this unless you jippo it. Like some of Google's software, Steam hardware tend to live a limited time.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Hope it is more powerful and better than the switch

This part is self-explanatory,

We partnered with AMD to create Steam Deck's custom APU, optimized for handheld gaming. It is a Zen 2 + RDNA 2 powerhouse, delivering more than enough performance to run the latest AAA games in a very efficient power envelope.

also, no side loading required,

Do I need a Steam account to use Steam Deck?
The default Steam Deck experience requires a Steam account (it's free!). Games are purchased and downloaded using the Steam Store. That said, Steam Deck is a PC so you can install third party software and operating systems.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The dock will be sold separately, and I am sure it will add another chunky sum to the price if required.

Rest of the world is excluded,

What regions can I reserve Steam Deck from?
Customers in the United States, Canada, European Union, and the United Kingdom can reserve a Steam Deck. Information about expanded regional availability coming soon.

but Steam is now a big deal in China, so I am 101% certain that they will be catered to somehow, but I doubt South Africa is on the coming soon list.

Steam also tend to sell everything through themselves exclusively.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Hope it is more powerful and better than the switch

Its far more powerful! But, it might not be as good for gaming. It is significantly bigger and heavier, so it might not be as comfortable for portable gaming as the switch.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Its far more powerful! But, it might not be as good for gaming. It is significantly bigger and heavier, so it might not be as comfortable for portable gaming as the switch.

Steam Deck will weight approx. 669 grams according to some review sites.

The Switch approx. 420 grams.

The AYA NEO weigh in at 650 grams, and those who reviewed it said it does become heavy with use. This might be the Stream Deck's Achilles' heel, but knowing Valve's support base, they will suck on GabeN's D, so weight shouldn't be the 'immediate' issue, and knowing Valve they will tell their peeps that it is meant to be used with the dock, which is sold separately, in long use, and everyone will bow down to it. What will make people complain is the support, but I would assume that the product will be well-supported until it is eventually shelved in an unexpected short-time in service, but at least the hardware is pretty much open, so the community will leverage it.

Ashez7

Wowzer good move since mobile games are becoming more popular dare I say it contemplating between this or a new GPU now.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Steam Deck will weight approx. 669 grams according to some review sites.

The Switch approx. 420 grams.

The AYA NEO weigh in at 650 grams, and those who reviewed it said it does become heavy with use. This might be the Stream Deck's Achilles' heel, but knowing Valve's support base, they will suck on GabeN's D, so weight shouldn't be the 'immediate' issue, and knowing Valve they will tell their peeps that it is meant to be used with the dock, which is sold separately, in long use, and everyone will bow down to it. What will make people complain is the support, but I would assume that the product will be well-supported until it is eventually shelved in an unexpected short-time in service, but at least the hardware is pretty much open, so the community will leverage it.

It would be nice to have some competition in the portable gaming space, but honestly, Nintendo is difficult to beat. They just know how to make good portable gaming experiences.

Their consoles - especially their handheld consoles - are always "underpowered" relative to the competition. But they always sell extremely well, because Nintendo prioritises playability over power.

Solitude

Executive Member
This looks amazing. I haven't touched my Switch in a long time so I probably shouldn't get another portable gaming console but this looks really nice.