Sunday Times, article on comic con/cosplay.

Moosedrool

Executive Member
You know how it is... words used to paint pictures... and I am over it man... people can think what they want...
I've been called a pedo many times... even for the mere association of watching anime ... so people can do what they want..

It's a PR problem. If you want a good image stop bringing up horrors.

Many people know it's not the real deal but constantly bringing that up has 1. a tendency to be annoying. 2. a possibility of changing peoples perception.

ryu

Expert Member
this seems to be blowing up on twitter, think i saw an mweb article about it as well.

funny thing is, there is a pic of the guy on twitter @Panda_Express and well he looks like he could actually fit in with the crowd he writes such drivel about.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Who was that retching pixie? Did she recover from that ordeal? The poor pixie!

EADC

Executive Member
Very odd article. Not sure what the writer is trying to do.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Come on man.

This is clearly satire with the journo taking the piss.

Don't know why everyone has their panties in a bunch over this.

Pitbull

Verboten
Didn't seem that bad to me either tbh.

I agree some sections do tend to be a bit :eek:

But I suspect people who complain either never read the whole article, or just jumped on the bandwagon. At first reading this thread I was also pretty annoyed. But when LazyLion posted the full article it's more in context and I find it to be fine.

Akasha

Executive Member
http://www.mweb.co.za/games/view/ta...African-Geeks-in-Controversial-Comic-Con.aspx

The guy's a prick. I don't care what he looks like, looks have nothing to do with what crowd you're in. Does this person look like she's a geek?
41184601_2242825629310743_78614856277915557_n.jpg

This type of article shouldn't have been written, nevermind published.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Like I think what separates an everyday person from a geek is that the everyday person can experience and express excitement over a particular thing, but they do it in a more reserved and perhaps controlled way; what a geek does to express their passion for something is go completely over the top about it and, as a result, sometimes or often, become a bit annoying.

This is true though. There I was, enjoying a beer at the pub, when the rugby started and the rugby geeks started with their over the top exuberance about a guy who ran 50m carrying a ball....

Emjay

Honorary Master
Reading it in it's entirety it doesn't seem to bad?

I agree. The fat part was out of line, but the rest was ok, I guess. It kind of does capture the essence of these expos.

Akasha

Executive Member
So you think being labelled a geek is a negative thing?
Not at all. I love being a geek. I'm weird and I embrace it. My point is that you can't just label people because of how they look

Emjay

Honorary Master
Not at all. I love being a geek. I'm weird and I embrace it. My point is that you can't just label people because of how they look

Ah. Ok.

Agree 100%. I self label as a geek, but come off completely as a corporate suit.