SwiftKey keyboard

upup

Executive Member
Today I saw my keyboard update are now called Microsoft SwiftKey. Long time ago I use a program, wanted to upgrade, then learn Microsoft bought the program to just close it down. I hope they are going to mess up SwiftKey.

umamankandla

When the new phone comes with the SwiftKey, I swiftly change to GBoard. They call it GBoard because its like the g-spot

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
There's no ads in SwiftKey.
It's better than gboard by a long shot as well.
Your opinion.

Being able to use (and easily switch to) a handwriting keyboard is a winner for people like me.

cpu.

Expert Member
Swiftkey suggestions is far ahead. I don't think Gboard will ever catch up. Its made an attempt with url and email address suggestions (but not even close).

On Swiftkey the forward slash "/" is on the longpress keys, but Gboard have the Windows standard backslash "\". Never needed it. Small little things, but important.

The arrows to move the cursor instead of gesture on the spacebar is easier and more accurate.

I use Gboard regularly and although it feels better and look, the above is some of the reasons I always return to Swiftkey.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Your opinion.

Being able to use (and easily switch to) a handwriting keyboard is a winner for people like me.
Just remember to let us know when Google decides to can gboard, like they've done with other useful tools in the past.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Just remember to let us know when Google decides to can gboard, like they've done with other useful tools in the past.
There will always be AOSP keyboard if they can Gboard unless they can Android as a whole. The only thing they canned that I missed was Google Reader but years later the new Google News became a viable alternative so I don't miss it at all anymore.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
There will always be AOSP keyboard if they can Gboard unless they can Android as a whole. The only thing they canned that I missed was Google Reader but years later the new Google News became a viable alternative so I don't miss it at all anymore.
Mmm.. Inbox was canned. Used it daily. So did millions. Google + was essentially canned since it is a Gsuite only solution now. More examples available if you search for it.
I also dislike gboard. More than the fact of it being canned or not.
I've used both extensively and always revert back to SwiftKey.

Last edited:

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
Mmm.. Inbox was canned. Used it daily. So did millions. Google + was essentially canned since it is a Gsuite only solution now. More examples available if you search for it.
I bought Swiftkey back in 2012 and was a loyal supporter, but the auto features eventually killed it for me. For one, I hate the auto-space after a punctuation symbol.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I bought Swiftkey back in 2012 and was a loyal supporter, but the auto features eventually killed it for me. For one, I hate the auto-space after a punctuation symbol.
You can easily switch off any auto features.
I dislike it as well.
I only use the text prediction on both English and Afrikaans and it works perfectly.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
At least most good inbox features came to Gmail like snooze, still find it annoying you have to go back to all mall to be able to select snooze from options.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Today I saw my keyboard update are now called Microsoft SwiftKey. Long time ago I use a program, wanted to upgrade, then learn Microsoft bought the program to just close it down. I hope they are going to mess up SwiftKey.
Microsoft bought SwiftKey a long time ago. They just added their name to it now for some brand equity. Microsoft has done nothing other than making all its features free. So don't stress.

When the new phone comes with the SwiftKey, I swiftly change to GBoard. They call it GBoard because its like the g-spot
I find Gboard to be much slower than typing on SwiftKey. The quality of predictions is woeful compared to SwiftKey.

Urgh.

I bought SwiftKey ages ago.

Now it's free and likely to spam ads.

WTF.
Microsoft doesn't need ad money from SwiftKey. It's just free. Be happy that the devs got their pay day and that everyone can now enjoy SwiftKey and all its themes without spending a cent.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Inbox was always experimental and could be killed at any time. The only thing I'm missing is bundles and that's still coming to Gmail based on app teardowns so just waiting it out. Google+ never got any traction unfortunately. Can only blame Google they were too late with social but it gave us Google Photos and Youtube live stream etc. anyway so not all was lost.

At least most good inbox features came to Gmail like snooze, still find it annoying you have to go back to all mall to be able to select snooze from options.
Works within open mails for me:

1590183528948.png