Swimming Pool resurfacing

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
product - Polyester Resin NPG Clear pool coat
It is about R2300 for a 25kg

I made 2 holes at the bottom (drilled) to let last bit of water out and to avoid possible popping of the pool.
They pop when the water table is high and water pushes pool up.

There was no rain for ages before i started and even after.

i then filled about 5k litre of water and when it rained , that filled the rest of the pool.

How big a hole did you drill?

In terms of fixing the cracks, did you just angle grind them down a bit then fill with new fibreglass and sand?

I fear I'm going to have to go the same route purely because w@nker-useless companies clearly don't want any work atm....

scienide

Expert Member
How big a hole did you drill?

In terms of fixing the cracks, did you just angle grind them down a bit then fill with new fibreglass and sand?

I fear I'm going to have to go the same route purely because w@nker-useless companies clearly don't want any work atm....
was 2 x 20mm holes (if can recall). - was biggest drill bit i had.

used steel wire brush on most of them and then ones that had protruding pieces sanded.
Once i finished the fiberglass, sanded that just to try get level as epoxy hides it all

companies dont want do this work, even tho they just get peeps from the street.

*will make a big post one day regarding that...

scienide

Expert Member
those 2 pics of cracks, nicks etc is small amount to what really was there!

and i have only used 5 cups of HTH and pool has only been on 4hrs every second sat. (since i have done this)
Still clean :cool:

Also, thought evaporation would be a lot more, but pool is warmer and evaporation been minimal

rodga

Honorary Master
Yeah Like I said the last time it looks amazing. Post some more pics of it filled up?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
was 2 x 20mm holes (if can recall). - was biggest drill bit i had.

used steel wire brush on most of them and then ones that had protruding pieces sanded.
Once i finished the fiberglass, sanded that just to try get level as epoxy hides it all

companies dont want do this work, even tho they just get peeps from the street.

*will make a big post one day regarding that...
Shot... Need to decide if this is something I want to tackle at the moment... Given it's rainy season and and atm.

chrisc

Executive Member
Yes, R45k for the liner. Then there were numerous "vital extras". This bumped the price to over R60k and this excluded the paving

alqassam

Expert Member
Yes, R45k for the liner. Then there were numerous "vital extras". This bumped the price to over R60k and this excluded the paving
It's popular in the states.

That was an off hand quote so yea....

I would say remove the liner and do fiberglass or even marbelite.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Argh noticed that the marblelite in my 35 year old pool has finally decided to come off in sections, will only really be able to tackle it in June/July when bonus comes in, if it does. If not, will need to look at away to sort it out.
I see some of you guys have done the epoxy route? Did this include fixing some cracks and chips?
Has anyone used Standard setting Prately putty to fix the cracks or chips?
Also anyone used those bladder bags? I mean 50Kl of water being pumped out seems like a waste.

Last edited:

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Argh noticed that the marblelite in my 35 year old pool has finally decided to come off in sections, will only really be able to tackle it in June/July when bonus comes in, if it does. If not, will need to look at away to sort it out.
I see some of you guys have done the epoxy route? Did this include fixing some cracks and chips?
Also anyone used those bladder bags? I mean 50Kl of water being pumped out seems like a waste.

only thing i can comment on is that from what i can tell the bladder bags costing makes it a bit impractical, i.e the cost of replacement water and some base chemicals will be less than the hire cost unless the job is really fast, like as in 3 days etc

Lupus

Honorary Master
only thing i can comment on is that from what i can tell the bladder bags costing makes it a bit impractical, i.e the cost of replacement water and some base chemicals will be less than the hire cost unless the job is really fast, like as in 3 days etc
This is true, but it seems like such a waste to say goodbye to water I finally started to get right :). Though I'm sure it would be about a weeks work on my pool, maybe more. The mosaic is horrid now as well.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
This is true, but it seems like such a waste to say goodbye to water I finally started to get right :). Though I'm sure it would be about a weeks work on my pool, maybe more. The mosaic is horrid now as well.

yeah but a 50KL bladder is like R500 a day, plus R1500 setup fee and collection.

so say 7 days thats R5000 already, even including the sewerage charge on the bill (which is the BS) your fee would be something like R2500 to refill the pool, add another R1000 for some startup chemicals if you feel and you still under.

i know it feels like a waste but technically water isnt wasted unless it is polluted

deesef

Expert Member
I tiled mine almost 2 years ago. Old marblite was coming off in patches. This was not a cheap job, but the result is fantastic.

If your pool has a concrete shell, your options, in order of initial price are:
1. Paint
2. Fibreglass
3. Marblite
4. Tile

In my opinion, that is also the order of longevity ie, paint lasts shortest and tiles have the longest lifespan. Whatever option you choose, make sure that the materials and workmanship are good quality. Poor quality will result in rework required and unnecessary additional costs for the rework.
View attachment 599574 View attachment 599578 View attachment 599580 View attachment 599582 View attachment 599584 View attachment 599586
Wow! I thought that my tiling job was expensive at R35 thousand in 2017. The price of a rubber / vinal liner seems to be very expensive.

My tiles are now 4 years old and the pool still looks like new.

Lupus

Honorary Master
yeah but a 50KL bladder is like R500 a day, plus R1500 setup fee and collection.

so say 7 days thats R5000 already, even including the sewerage charge on the bill (which is the BS) your fee would be something like R2500 to refill the pool, add another R1000 for some startup chemicals if you feel and you still under.

i know it feels like a waste but technically water isnt wasted unless it is polluted
Yeah forgot that part. But yeah pool will be too be done, parts to be fixed. The tiling looks nice but that looks pricey

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
I don't do pools but my in laws do. My bro in law has however used my services for things like digging/trenching and even draining the pool while he was busy with other things. On draining the pool I do remember him using the bags to store the water. Was during water restrictions though so cost was probably not an issue at the time.

I also remember him saying to one o his clients that they could fix up cracks but would be back in a year or 2 for more crack repairs. I distinctly remember the client saying "I agree, your dad did my pool 20 years ago while you were running around and that's a good run. Redo the pool and in 20 yes my son can call your son to redo the pool".

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
A neighbour went the bladder bag route but it was because he would have been fined had he just filled the pool again. Very expensive. And there is no way a pool surface can be repaired quickly and still done properly.
My advice is stay away from epoxies and fibreglass, stick with marbelite.
But try and get it rubbed down smooth after it has set to get the surface smooth before refilling it.

Splinter

Honorary Master
A neighbour went the bladder bag route but it was because he would have been fined had he just filled the pool again. Very expensive. And there is no way a pool surface can be repaired quickly and still done properly.
My advice is stay away from epoxies and fibreglass, stick with marbelite.
But try and get it rubbed down smooth after it has set to get the surface smooth before refilling it.
I think I have a fibreglass pool. Pretty resilient. Why do you say opposite?