Switch Telecom feedback please?

bigboy529

Expert Member
Hi all
I'm looking to get a VOIP line for a small business. I looked at Connection Telecom and Switch Telecom. I don't like Connection Telecom's offering, they can only offer me bigger packages, but for now I only need a single line.

Switch Telecom's offering looks very good, R49 per month for a line with geographical number and their call rates seam to be very decent. Can anyone give feedback on them, how is the service, any issues or downtime?

I'll be using the VOIP over LTE for now until we get fibre, from what I read it will work jus fine over LTE, we'll get either CellC or Rain fixed LTE.

Finally can you recommend a specific IP phone, will something like the Yealink SIP-T42S or SIP-40P do the job?

sajunky

Honorary Master
In your case any SIP phone will do. Chose the cheapest one.

Swichtel works very well on Cell C fibre, I do recommend, their tech support is very good as well. Cell C LTE may work well, but chose roaming data package, so it can use MTN when Cell C tower is down. Check with prepaid SIM in your location and use a good LTE router. B315s works fine for me on Cell C.

Last edited:

powermzii

Expert Member
Using Swichtel for the last 3 months without any issues on Telkom LTE. Call quality is great and clear even when people in the house are streaming. Great and detailed dashboard too if you want to see usage, costs etc. Customer service is excellent, they respond within 2 hours to a general query, e.g. billing. Haven't had any tech issues and setup was simple. I highly recommend them

leonb

Have been using Switch for about year now for small business using 10 extensions, 5 concurreny calls , hosted pbx, on ftth. Call quality very good. Virtually no downtime and our usage is very high in terms of hours per day. Can really recommend them.

Monthly bill significantly lower than using Telkom lines and quality and reliability better.

mister

Executive Member
Switch is amazing... call quality is amazing, sales & support are beyond amazing, had zero downtime. One of the best companies I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

StoffelZA

I've been using Switchtel from the start. I've tested many providers and there is no one better. They understand VOIP, and the industry! You won't make a mistake going with them.

As with all VOIP providers, they key does remain with your ISP. If you internet is weak your VOIP quality will be weak.

zaidmo

How much does it cost a person on a Telkom landline (home rate) to call SwitchTel?

zaidmo

I also emailed SwitchTel and they asked me to contact Telkom.
On Telkom's tariff calculator, I checked the standard call cost from a landline to 087 550 0000 (the SwitchTel contact us number). Works out to 67c per minute, weekday, midday, default call plan.
This can be pricey for family / friends on Telkom Weekender / Anytime Plans, thinking they're calling another Telkom number (that's under VoIP) for free