Sym XS200 Blaze Review needed please

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Looking at http://suzukisouth.co.za/XS200-Blaze-384
Anybody know this bike and can give me review or advice?
This is for a 22km daily round trip commute.
My MotoMia Java170 has finally given up, heh. nearly 20 000km, so time for replacement.
Having owned 2 chinese bikes now, I can highly recommend not wasting money on another. 20,000km and it's dead? Screw that man. Rather spend a bit more on something decent, or get something second hand.
What's your budget?

riverdusty

Having owned 2 chinese bikes now, I can highly recommend not wasting money on another. 20,000km and it's dead? Screw that man. Rather spend a bit more on something decent, or get something second hand.
What's your budget?
I agree, which is why I'm looking at the Sym. Its "apparently" [citation needed] made by suzuki which is japanese, which has produced such wonders as the honday!

My budget is around 20k-25k and I really wound't mind a honda, something like a cbx250 or the like.

On a personal note I'm so tired of second hand stuff in my life, I really wanted something new and shiny, heh

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
I agree, which is why I'm looking at the Sym. Its "apparently" [citation needed] made by suzuki which is japanese, which has produced such wonders as the honday!

My budget is around 20k-25k and I really wound't mind a honda, something like a cbx250 or the like.

On a personal note I'm so tired of second hand stuff in my life, I really wanted something new and shiny, heh
Yea I get you man. But second hand quality trumps new, shiny *** everytime. CBX250 would be a better buy.

riverdusty

Yea I get you man. But second hand quality trumps new, shiny *** everytime. CBX250 would be a better buy.
My problem is the only person I know who has one won't sell it!
Anybody else wanna sell me one? :crylaugh:

spiderz

Honorary Master
What broke on the motomia? How many years did it last?
Willing to sell it as spares? :D

Also look at the honda PCX150

Last edited:

spiderz

Honorary Master
Last edited:

riverdusty

spiderz

Honorary Master
Its coughing and spluttering.
The kinda milage I do and doing it on the freeway means I need something a little tougher. Thats why I'm trying to move away from a scooter to a bike.

I'd really like https://www.honda.co.za/en/products/motorcycles/street/ace-125/#/model-overview/features/ but the only thing putting me off is the kick starter.
carburator ... replaced mine recently. was under R700 if I remember correctly.

If you do Highway, you'll need something a bit bigger ...

riverdusty

carburator ... replaced mine recently. was under R700 if I remember correctly.

If you do Highway, you'll need something a bit bigger ...
I'll rip my carb out and see if there is anything obvious. Thanks for the hint! :D

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
I like. Obviously go check it out in person and ride it to see how it goes, but looks nice bru.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Its "apparently" [citation needed] made by suzuki
I always thought it was made by Ssangyong. Fourways Motorcycles has them, but I'd rather buy a second hand Honda/Yamaha before I buy a second hand Sym.

New, well... maybe.... no. Doubt it.

crysis

Expert Member
I always thought it was made by Ssangyong. Fourways Motorcycles has them, but I'd rather buy a second hand Honda/Yamaha before I buy a second hand Sym.

New, well... maybe.... no. Doubt it.
Easy mistake to make. SYM actually stands for Sang Yang, and are made in Taiwan. Their quality is good, much better than the chinese stuff. Pretty much on par with the cheaper Japanese stuff. Parts will be pricier than Japanese though, due to the lower units in the country. If well maintained, they should last just as long though. However something like that CBX 250 will be much better.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Oh, and suzuki south is selling a used 200dr for 10k more. Ask your parents for a loan and upgrade.

TimBru14

I know this thread is somewhat dated but I'm also looking at the 200XS as a possibility for a commuter bike. Nearly everything from the bigger brands that I've seen is either way out of my price range or it's been sitting in a garage somewhere and needs lots of work or it has been in some type of accident.
A friend of mine bought the 200XS a few days ago brand new from Bike City (Durban) for 18k with 2 year warranty and he's loving it so far. Now I'm not going to argue with anyone over bike build quality and whatnot but what I can say is that my dad bought a Sym Crox 125 with around 800 odd kms on it about a year ago and since then I've done about 1000kms on it. Sure it's not going to top a GSX 150 or a CBR250R but it gets the job done and it hasn't given me a moments trouble from the day it was bought (the only thing that ever went wrong was a solenoid for the starter motor which cost around R300 to fix). Obviously it isn't really powerful enough for my commute (between Durban and Umhlanga, it is possible but it's flipping dangerous) but the build quality and ride is really not bad. I see Sym now sells a 200cc Jet 14 scooter which actually looks really good for the price but it depends on where you want to take it and what your commute is like.
Just my 2 cents :)

gamer16

Honorary Master
I know this thread is somewhat dated but I'm also looking at the 200XS as a possibility for a commuter bike. Nearly everything from the bigger brands that I've seen is either way out of my price range or it's been sitting in a garage somewhere and needs lots of work or it has been in some type of accident.
A friend of mine bought the 200XS a few days ago brand new from Bike City (Durban) for 18k with 2 year warranty and he's loving it so far. Now I'm not going to argue with anyone over bike build quality and whatnot but what I can say is that my dad bought a Sym Crox 125 with around 800 odd kms on it about a year ago and since then I've done about 1000kms on it. Sure it's not going to top a GSX 150 or a CBR250R but it gets the job done and it hasn't given me a moments trouble from the day it was bought (the only thing that ever went wrong was a solenoid for the starter motor which cost around R300 to fix). Obviously it isn't really powerful enough for my commute (between Durban and Umhlanga, it is possible but it's flipping dangerous) but the build quality and ride is really not bad. I see Sym now sells a 200cc Jet 14 scooter which actually looks really good for the price but it depends on where you want to take it and what your commute is like.
Just my 2 cents :)
I think people are giving Chinese products to much of a bad wrap, I think they are sort of hit and miss but I also think its a case of if you look after it, it will look after you.

Another thing is the okes that have things go wrong make a lot of noise, so they are the ones you hear, the other 199 who have no issues are quiet so you sort of gain a false impression.