Tablets sales suffer sharp drop

The_MAC

Executive Member
"The bigger screen sizes of today’s smartphones continue to cannibalise spending on traditional slate tablets"

IMO there's the main reason.

I personally have ditched my tablet and prefer my larger sized smartphone, if I need to get seriously productive, I pull out the laptop. The tablet has become my sons toy...

fbman

A tablet is good at consuming data, not creating it, therefore when its time to do real work.. then laptop or detachable tablet is best. I think people are starting to realize that now, nice toy but not very useful for productive work.

For me.. I have an Ipad Air, good device.. but its good for reading books or surfing or playing a game. My Ipad is over two years old now (I bought it at launch) and I see no reason to upgrade it at this moment in time.

Petec

Expert Member
Laptop manufacturers, all you had to do was make them easy to clean (simple to pop out the fans) , and make it easy to upgrade the screen card. In fact, you should not have financially mauled us for wanting decent screen cards in the first place.

With the advent of ssd, this also majorly helped to speed up the units, but just like Xerox, you were stupid/greedy and cut off your collective noses to spite your faces.

All that development and spending, on what is now a financial dead end (unless something radically changes by the end of this year), is utter mismanagement.

There is an entire generation of laptop users, who would have happily shelled out, to beef their old laptops and then given those units to their kids who are now ready for a computer. Then we would have also happily bought new units, because the upgrade path and longevity was built in.

This demise is all your own, you incompetent foolish cretins.

Last edited:

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
"The bigger screen sizes of today’s smartphones continue to cannibalise spending on traditional slate tablets"

I personally have ditched my tablet and prefer my larger sized smartphone, if I need to get seriously productive, I pull out the laptop. The tablet has become my sons toy...

+1

Since I have my phablet there is no need for the bigger tablet.

The iPad makes a great cutting board, toy, proxy roof tile, cheese server et al. Not good in the microwave though.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master

+1

Since I have my phablet there is no need for the bigger tablet.

The iPad makes a great cutting board, toy, proxy roof tile, cheese server et al. Not good in the microwave though.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Well I lurv my tablet. 5" phone, 8" tablet. Anything in between would just be weird.

Last edited:

Necropolis

Executive Member
Biggest thing I found with tablets is that they didn't fit organically into my lifestyle.

I had to constantly think "oh I'm doing x - I should take the tablet along with me".

It's far easier to just use my phone if I don't have my laptop with me.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
being seeing this headline come up a lot within the last couple years,

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Biggest thing I found with tablets is that they didn't fit organically into my lifestyle.

I had to constantly think "oh I'm doing x - I should take the tablet along with me".

It's far easier to just use my phone if I don't have my laptop with me.

+1000. It's just yet another device to keep charged, updated and have lying around when not in use. At least, in my life too

supersunbird

Honorary Master
My tablet has much longer battery life than the average mifi, so its good for that, and nice for watching movies and series and youtube in bed or when traveling.

Dudlu

Expert Member
Well I lurv my tablet. 5" phone, 8" tablet. Anything in between would just be weird.

Agreed

For me there'll always be room for both a phone and a tablet in my life. I can't do serious work on an 8" tablet but its very handy for a lot of stuff other than media consumption (which is probably my least use case for it anyway).

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Have my phone, tablet and laptop on me.

If its email related, then my phone is sufficient.
The max I'll do with my tablet is some configurations with my server.
My laptop, well it runs Visual Studio :p

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Have my phone, tablet and laptop on me.

If its email related, then my phone is sufficient.
The max I'll do with my tablet is some configurations with my server.
My laptop, well it runs Visual Studio :p

biometrics

Honorary Master
I sold a few tablets recently, prices are rock bottom. Good deals to be had if you buy a generation or two back second hand.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Still have my Xperia Z and it still works. Have only used it for videos and comics, can't use vpn so can't use it for work