• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

TABLETS - wanting to buy!

Lupus

Honorary Master
We are pretty much like some other places the dumping ground for old stock, specially lenovo and samsung.Release price was around 3.5k, 1.5k price gouge isn't all that bad.That said I wouldn't buy samsung again, lenovo is pretty good and first choice.
Android 5.1 is okay, it has the power savings mode from android 6, as well as the ability to format sd card as internal space, the 8gb rom is weak but I rarely ran out of space with installed apps, and you can move apps to the SD in any ways, it's more annoying then any thing else.

I am holding out till black friday for a new tablet, going 10 inch again, but this time around I have a limit of 3gig ram and 64gig rom.But I will see, I won a amazon fire 7 inch a few weeks back on mybb, and actually pretty darn happy with it, bar amazon being a bit spammy, managed to sideload googleplay and all the apps I needed, and have no issues casting to none fire devices now.

Unless a really good deal comes around, I might hold out a bit longer, lenovo tab 4 is attractive but sporting pretty old hardware in general.
My wife got my Amazon 7 and she hasn't really used it that much as Amazon goes and makes it harder to get Google working on it sigh. Though I also think she's forgotten she has it, my son keeps wanting to steal it, though he's got the old Lenovo I won off here a few years back. The funny thing, the spec is the same as the Amazon tab.

wizardofid

Expert Member
My wife got my Amazon 7 and she hasn't really used it that much as Amazon goes and makes it harder to get Google working on it sigh. Though I also think she's forgotten she has it, my son keeps wanting to steal it, though he's got the old Lenovo I won off here a few years back. The funny thing, the spec is the same as the Amazon tab.
Which year they one I have is last years model, I managed to remove all of the amazon apps, and load all google services, there is actually a batch script avaible that is automated via ABD, that downgrades if it needs to, uninstall all amazon apps not needed, even removes to lock screen ads.

After which I installed a GUI hijack loader, and have it running pretty close to default android, takes a little effort but well worth it, apparently pending which version you have you can load a custom rom, nexus rom I think.

But bricking it is quite possible, so I won't be trying that at all, removing the bloatware was more then enough for me. Besides I have 3 x 7 inch tablets and 2 x 10 tablets, minor inconvenience and annoyance of amazon apps is minor.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Which year they one I have is last years model, I managed to remove all of the amazon apps, and load all google services, there is actually a batch script avaible that is automated via ABD, that downgrades if it needs to, uninstall all amazon apps not needed, even removes to lock screen ads.

After which I installed a GUI hijack loader, and have it running pretty close to default android, takes a little effort but well worth it, apparently pending which version you have you can load a custom rom, nexus rom I think.

But bricking it is quite possible, so I won't be trying that at all, removing the bloatware was more then enough for me. Besides I have 3 x 7 inch tablets and 2 x 10 tablets, minor inconvenience and annoyance of amazon apps is minor.
Not sure of the year tbh, it's one I won from here a few months ago :)

wizardofid

Expert Member
Not sure of the year tbh, it's one I won from here a few months ago :)
Most likely the 2017 model, if you upgraded to latest firmware then they patched removing the bloatware, loading the gui highjacker is best you can do, I think there is a downgrade app.None the less it's pretty nippy, casting works like a charm, loaded chrome, access the shared network drive, copy the address in chrome, cast via chrome, bobs your uncle ;). I have a bluetooth gamepad, as you can do mirror cast as well, loaded PSP emulator/nes/genesis and have a cheap android gaming console as well.

Ideally I want to get a tablet with a mini HDMI port, as that allows freeing up the USBport and they usually have a dedicated charging port which makes life a lot easier when wanting to use an extra gamepad.Next item on my list is an airmouse.

Denno

That's a pretty bad tablet to be honest but hopefully you'll be fine with it.
The tab is turning out perfectly for me, all features work very well especially the phone which I use on speaker. Battery life is great, all round happy

Denno

We are pretty much like some other places the dumping ground for old stock, specially lenovo and samsung.Release price was around 3.5k, 1.5k price gouge isn't all that bad.That said I wouldn't buy samsung again, lenovo is pretty good and first choice.
Android 5.1 is okay, it has the power savings mode from android 6, as well as the ability to format sd card as internal space, the 8gb rom is weak but I rarely ran out of space with installed apps, and you can move apps to the SD in any ways, it's more annoying then any thing else.

I am holding out till black friday for a new tablet, going 10 inch again, but this time around I have a limit of 3gig ram and 64gig rom.But I will see, I won a amazon fire 7 inch a few weeks back on mybb, and actually pretty darn happy with it, bar amazon being a bit spammy, managed to sideload googleplay and all the apps I needed, and have no issues casting to none fire devices now.

Unless a really good deal comes around, I might hold out a bit longer, lenovo tab 4 is attractive but sporting pretty old hardware in general.
I settled for the Galaxy Tab A - excellent device - see attached photo taken with the 5mp camera - this tab for R1 800 is doing what a R10k smartphone does!

Attachments

wizardofid

Expert Member
I settled for the Galaxy Tab A - excellent device - see attached photo taken with the 5mp camera - this tab for R1 800 is doing what a R10k smartphone does!
Not entirely it does lack features new smart phones have, end of the day it's what you are happy with by the looks of things your are over the moon and happy with it and that is all that matters.