Taking forever for my parcel to arrive from the US. Help!

Kat2016

Hello everyone!

I tried solving this issue alone but when I think of who would have good advice then I know I need to come here!

I was sent a package from the US from a friend (it's a gift just a shirt) over a month ago and still nothing has arrived. My friend did not have a tracking number but did send me a customs code - code starts with LC and ends with US (if that means anything).

I phoned customs at cape mail but they said they can't track it with that number as it is for use within the US and needs to be manually captured on this side (which takes time). They also could not find it based on my name because they said that customs has locked them out of that function for now due to a big back log on the floor (??)

I phoned my post office and they checked based on my name but nothing was there.

Why is there such a backlog at customs right now? Has anyone also had issues receiving something recently?

Is there anything else I can do? Should I be patient or just accept I probably won't receive the parcel.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
There is always a massive back log at post office.

It shoudl take around 3-4 weeks ,but there also chance they lost the parcel.

You will just have to wait.

Albert Broco

Banned
I ordered 4 packages from the US this year that came via registered mail. Unfortunately, they all took almost 2 months to arrive at my local post office. Also, the US tracking codes no longer seem to work locally or with USPS. On all my packages I get the same message that the package is not found on their system.

Kat2016

Thanks for the replies. Good to know others have had to wait as long or longer and still got their parcels. It's so frustrating though! My friend said she spent over 20$ to send the package and it just feels unfair that it takes so long. It feels like it was sent by carrier pigeon :(

Albert Broco

Banned
Thanks for the replies. Good to know others have had to wait as long or longer and still got their parcels. It's so frustrating though! My friend said she spent over 20$ to send the package and it just feels unfair that it takes so long. It feels like it was sent by carrier pigeon :(

Agreed.

I actually paid around $35 per package for registered mail from the US to SA. Also thought I would get my packages faster, but I was not lucky either. Also, never was able to track my packages online - even with tracking numbers. Out of the blue I received my notices from my local post office to collect.

Edit: in fact, last month I won an auction on eBay. The package was sent at the end of the month. Still waiting, naturally. And, again, I cannot track online - this is what I get: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=RD141376261US - This is why I am confident that the USPS tracking system no longer works.

So, as long as it was sent by registered mail, sit back and relax. Do not be in a hurry.

Last edited:

Kat2016

Agreed.

I actually paid around $35 per package for registered mail from the US to SA. Also thought I would get my packages faster, but I was not lucky either. Also, never was able to track my packages online - even with tracking numbers. Out of the blue I received my notices from my local post office to collect.

Edit: in fact, last month I won an auction on eBay. The package was sent at the end of the month. Still waiting, naturally. And, again, I cannot track online - this is what I get: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=RD141376261US - This is why I am confident that the USPS tracking system no longer works.

So, as long as it was sent by registered mail, sit back and relax. Do not be in a hurry.

Thanks! I also put in my number into that and also comes up with "this item for south Africa is not found"

If I have this number LC775249484US does that mean it is sent by registered mail? My friend did not mention it and that is the only number I have.... :(

Toxic T

Expert Member
This type of thing always gets to me. They have DHL in the US, they have DHL here. Why cant they just comunicate with each other rather than using our outdated and useless post office.

Kat2016

This type of thing always gets to me. They have DHL in the US, they have DHL here. Why cant they just comunicate with each other rather than using our outdated and useless post office.

Agree. It's 2016 ffs why does it still feel like they are sending packages by ship??

Disheartening for friends and family overseas who spend money and gifts and shipping while not knowing if and when it will ever make it over to us :(

Who is the guy that has supposedly taken over the post office and when is it meant to be up and running properly?:mad:

Nuke

Nothing is stopping you from using DHL. Most places have a few shipping options. USPS is pretty cheap and the couriers(DHL/Fedex/UPS) around $60-$80 minimum. The couriers usually takes around 7 days from date send to package in my hands, including the customs. I have no idea about the postal service, out of principal I won't use them.

Toxic T

Expert Member
Nothing is stopping you from using DHL. Most places have a few shipping options. USPS is pretty cheap and the couriers(DHL/Fedex/UPS) around $60-$80 minimum. The couriers usually takes around 7 days from date send to package in my hands, including the customs. I have no idea about the postal service, out of principal I won't use them.

Looking for a rep upgrade I see. :D

KOPITE

Executive Member
Why don't you use Aramex Global Shopper. I bought items off Ebay and my items takes about 7-10 days max to arrive with tracking provided on their website. Anything under 1kg is about R175. Anything under R500 and there is no import or tax paid.

Kat2016

Why don't you use Aramex Global Shopper. I bought items off Ebay and my items takes about 7-10 days max to arrive with tracking provided on their website. Anything under 1kg is about R175. Anything under R500 and there is no import or tax paid.

Thanks for the info. It was a gift sent by a friend who used USPS and I guess I didn't realise how long or how bad the situation at customs would be. I am holding thumbs it will get here eventually!

Kat2016

Just an update for anyone who may come across this thread in future.
I received my parcels yesterday - one was thirty dollars and the other fifty dollars. The fifty dollar one was charge R126 customs fee which wasn't too bad. The other one came in with no charge. Both were gifts.
It took about 1-2 months for them to arrive and I am so relieved and my faith in the postal system is feeling restored today.
There were no tracking numbers, only the customs numbers which were totally useless.
BTW the cape mail foreign department was very helpful and friendly, checking the numbers for me and assuring me they will arrive but they had a backlog. They actually couldn't help as the customs number doesn't show anything, but it was nice to speak to someone who seemed to care.

Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master
Just an update for anyone who may come across this thread in future.
I received my parcels yesterday - one was thirty dollars and the other fifty dollars. The fifty dollar one was charge R126 customs fee which wasn't too bad. The other one came in with no charge. Both were gifts.
It took about 1-2 months for them to arrive and I am so relieved and my faith in the postal system is feeling restored today.
There were no tracking numbers, only the customs numbers which were totally useless.
BTW the cape mail foreign department was very helpful and friendly, checking the numbers for me and assuring me they will arrive but they had a backlog. They actually couldn't help as the customs number doesn't show anything, but it was nice to speak to someone who seemed to care.

You mentioned one item was a shirt which would attract a fairly high import duty. On all items VAT is payable and depending on what it is a duty will be charged at a percentage of the item value.
The international tracking details get linked with local tracking details when it enters the country and the post office call centre can give you the local tracking number based on the international one.

There is a substantial backlog at the moment due to the rand having improved recently and the international purchases that were made during that time.