Taking lights and internet off the Grid (mostly)

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Ok, I know this topic has been dealt with to death over the years, but given the current situation I think it may be high time to have a more updated look at it, as well as possibly a concise kit list built up that will enable people to get their shyte sorted out so that they can survive whilst Eskom burn the country around them...

For me, I'm looking at taking all my lights, network and possibly 2 TVs onto at least a battery backup system to start with, with the ability to expand the battery backup to be charged off Solar panels and feed those aspects of the house itself.

I've been digging through a few websites, and the options are just endless to the point that you just sit looking at everything going "Where the fsck do I start?".

I know many guys here have been down this road, so advice in terms of equipment would be greatly appreciated, or possibly some assistance in terms of where to start looking and what to look for.

1 Suggestion so far has been the Goodwe GW5048D-ES as a starting point inverter. Its pricey at R25k (give or take) but will allow expansion into the future with panels.

Last edited:

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Any long term plan should probably include your own water as well.

OCP

Expert Member
That works 100's... just need 1000 @Hamster and all is good
nooo - you are thinking too small.

Bigger wheel, bigger hamsters.

We have 4 at home aged between 6 to 13; you would be surprised what they will do to keep the internet working ;-)

Kosmik

Honorary Master
TB, you should look a a hardwired inverter setup. Yes solar is great etc but not always cost effective. To help with the loadshedding , all you need is a glorified battery that recharges between dips. Have your DB wired so your lights run off it and ideally a dedicated wall line where you only plug non motor/heat appliances ( TVs , PC etc ).

like this: https://www.builders.co.za/Electrical/Inverters-&-Solar-Energy/Inverters/Ellies-Power-Inverter-DC-1200w-2000va-24v/p/000000000000395576?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv6eW1JaD3wIVqrftCh2P1QGoEAQYAyABEgLItfD_BwE

Thats not even hardwired but I would consider doing it that way so you can run in parallel. Not difficult electrically

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
TB, you should look a a hardwired inverter setup. Yes solar is great etc but not always cost effective. To help with the loadshedding , all you need is a glorified battery that recharges between dips. Have your DB wired so your lights run off it and ideally a dedicated wall line where you only plug non motor/heat appliances ( TVs , PC etc ).

like this: https://www.builders.co.za/Electrical/Inverters-&-Solar-Energy/Inverters/Ellies-Power-Inverter-DC-1200w-2000va-24v/p/000000000000395576?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv6eW1JaD3wIVqrftCh2P1QGoEAQYAyABEgLItfD_BwE

Thats not even hardwired but I would consider doing it that way so you can run in parallel. Not difficult electrically
My intention is to build something that will function as a battery backup for the moment, but with the ability to possibly add panels at a later date..
It will def be hardwired though, I'm not one for those half arsed solutions that you have to wheel out and plug things into.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
Great idea to start a new thread on this as over the years technology has become more affordable and new battery technologies are now here. I personally have modded my 2 UPS's at home with larger batteries to handle load shedding to keep my wifi, tv, routers, laptops, hi fi's alive.

You don't mention what budget you are considering, so I am just going to drop this link here for those that want to see basic to advanced.

https://www.sustainable.co.za/solar-power/solar-power-kits/off-grid-solar-kits.html?limit=all

DXL

Expert Member
My 2c if you interested.

This is what i am planning.

Using LED bulbs in all rooms and outside connected to a single battery.

Another battery pack to feed my tv and computer.

Solar panels to feed both those battery packs.

Last but not least. Got myself a good gas cooking system.

I will post pics when i am done.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Great idea to start a new thread on this as over the years technology has become more affordable and new battery technologies are now here. I personally have modded my 2 UPS's at home with larger batteries to handle load shedding to keep my wifi, tv, routers, laptops, hi fi's alive.

You don't mention what budget you are considering, so I am just going to drop this link here for those that want to see basic to advanced.

https://www.sustainable.co.za/solar-power/solar-power-kits/off-grid-solar-kits.html?limit=all
Budget is entirely flexible at this point, since I personally have zero idea of what is involved....

I've been looking at sustainable, and some of the stuff is interesting...

My 2c if you interested.

I've done the LED thing... i think I have 1 room without LEDs, but that is getting changed in the next month.
Gas is done already as well.

So for me its a case of which Inverter/charger should be being bought, what are the most cost effective battery systems, how does it get wired up to the DB Board so things just operate as per normal....

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
Budget is entirely flexible at this point, since I personally have zero idea of what is involved....

I've been looking at sustainable, and some of the stuff is interesting...
I have been buying from them for many years, they don't sell chinese crap hence their prices are a tad more than other places.

lucifir

Expert Member
Was looking at this myself as well, and ended up with the same questions :D
Will keep an eye on this thread to help getting started towards a solar solution

thechamp

Honorary Master
My 2c if you interested.

Why not just a single inverter system with a battery pack to feed both your tv and lights? Inverters are expensive and it will push the cost up if you sepertae them like that.

lucifir

Expert Member
Water is being dealt with seperately, and is not such a maze from a kit point of view...
Please enlighten us, as I for one would not mind hearing of ways to become self sustainable, considering almost all things government are collapsing :mad:

Kosmik

Honorary Master
@ToxicBunny You can start small with a decent pure inverter and batteries. A good inverter is the most expensive individual component in the system. Get one that can be used for solar later as well, ie take mains feed and a feed from panels. You can then grow your panel array at your pace if you want to go solar. Led Lights and electronics are very light on power though so keep that in mind. Different if you talking running fridges etc.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
@ToxicBunny You can start small with a decent pure inverter and batteries. A good inverter is the most expensive individual component in the system. Get one that can be used for solar later as well, ie take mains feed and a feed from panels. You can then grow your panel array at your pace if you want to go solar. Led Lights and electronics are very light on power though so keep that in mind. Different if you talking running fridges etc.
100% what Im looking at...

More looking for suggestions as to which ones, and what sort of things I need to account for.

I figure I'm in for R15 - R20k on a decent inverter setup and cost to wire it into the house....