Taking lights and internet off the Grid (mostly)

Pho3nix

The Legend
I know.

That's why I ordered one, but Ari sent me a must (new version). On paper, the must looks better: https://www.mustups.com/new-arrival-80a-mppt-controller-5kva-must-power-solar-inverter/

It - together with my panels, microinverters, batteries, etc - is still lying in its box in the garage until I get money for someone to mount the panels. I'll do the wiring myself, but I want all cabling to run inside the wall. So I need someone who knows how to use a grinder because I'm scared shirtless.
How much did everything set you back?
Who is Ari?

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Can this thing be upgraded with Lithium batteries down the line? How much capacity can be added without overly straining the thing? (charge controller?)
It doesn't have a lithium charging circuit, of that I'm almost 100% sure. If you buy that, I don't see why it won't work.

As1974a

Something like this would be a lot cheaper: https://www.ellies.co.za/product/sinewave-inverter-with-trolley-2000va-modified-1200w/

And you wouldn't also need to wire it up to the DB board directly (and the cost for an electrician to do it to get a certificate of compliance).

The inverters are noisy though..
I have this invertor + 4 batteries, hardwired into the full DB so i can use anything as long long its not overloaded. mostly run some lights, wifi, alarm and can use TV as well.
On constant charge from 220V supply.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
ffs, getting redonkilous now

lots of people will go solar/alternative and eishkom will get less income...

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
We can no longer look at getting off the grid for 4 or 8 hours a day. We now need to start looking at and planning for outages that could last weeks or months at a time. This is where our challenges are about to start.

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
We can no longer look at getting off the grid for 4 or 8 hours a day. We now need to start looking at and planning for outages that could last weeks or months at a time. This is where our challenges are about to start.
Luckily I did this in 2012 already. We're 95% off grid and I am now looking at going 100% off grid, with Eskom backup to save on batteries when Eskom is available. We have minimized electricity usage at night to about 400W average per hour so it's manageable at this stage.

My next plan is to have battery backup for our outside lights, internet and solar monitoring system, in-case our primary battery backup runs out before the sun recharge the battery again.