Taking lights and internet off the Grid (mostly)

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
I own a 180watt pure sine wave Victron inverter and a 100/30 MPPT Solar charge controller. Beautiful stuff for my camping setup. There is no way I will ever be able to afford a Victron setup at home unless I win the lotto

greg_SA

Expert Member
Clearly I was not replying to you.

My advice to you would be to go buy the two cheapest car batteries and Midas tomorrow.
It was not clear at all. If you are not replying to me, then don't quote me. Look at your post #180 again

And why are you advising me to buy cheap car batteries? Your posts are really confusing.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Does anyone know of a reputable company that can assist in setting up a hybrid solar and battery setup for my house. I currently have generators but I am thinking of maybe going onto a solar and battery based backup (with the solar feeding into the house grid when the batteries are full - leaving the batteries for load shedding etc). I want to also feed it into my DB board and wire it all up correctly.

also how do you guys work out how much power each plug or how much power your house is actually consuming? are you just doing it mentally by adding all the components up that are connected to the plugs or are using a smart meter of some sort to check the power consumption?

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
New to this thread so forgive my stupidity.
Wouldnt that Ellies system be goos for a home to run non solar , maybe TV ans a few other things for a few hrs ?
little risky with modified sinewave. But the technolgy is getting better.
In the old days running a hifi or a tv on modified sinewave was terrible as you heard a humming sound come from the speakers. Very annoying indeed.
But I hear some brands nowdays are pretty good and you hear no humming.
I havent tested it myself

marine1

Honorary Master
In the old days running a hifi or a tv on modified sinewave was terrible as you heard a humming sound come from the speakers. Very annoying indeed.
Thanks i suppose you get what you pay for

Lupus

Honorary Master
I only hear a hum when I put my lamp on then there is a hum from my speakers, otherwise I hear nothing and I'm on modified.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
So how long can that box run for? Let's say I'd use 150w?
1200w / 150w will give your answer in hours, thus 8hrs would be 100% DoD which means that next months you have to buy new batteries.
4hrs = 50% DoD
2hrs = 25% DoD
etc

If you want the thing to power your stuff until jesus comes, get another string of batteries. That charge controller should easily be able to handle it.

konfab

Honorary Master
So how long can that box run for? Let's say I'd use 150w?
Calculations are pretty simple:
The 2000 W one comes with two 12V 102 Ah batteries
At 240V, that 150W load uses 150/240 = 0.625 Amperes, but we are drawing this at 24V, so the draw at the batteries is 150/24 =6.25A(1)

The two batteries have 102 Ah worth of energy each, which means that at 6.25 draw, you have 204/6.25=32.64h(2)

Now that is assuming 100% of the batteries energy is given to your load. This is not the case in reality. According the specifications, the DC to AC conversion is about 80% efficient.
This means that in order to deliver 150W of usable power, the inverter has to draw 150/0.8=187.5W

Plugging this into (1) and (2)
204/((150/0.8)/24)=26.112 h

edit: ok, fixed it.

https://www.ellies.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/FBIT1000-FBIT2000-Instruction-Manual.pdf

Last edited:

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
^ Very nice, pure sinewave, your electronics will love you :thumbsup:
Love the option of adding a solar panel as well

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Nothing wrong with the Axperts. They do what they're supposed to, and what to cost to do.
I know.

That's why I ordered one, but Ari sent me a must (new version). On paper, the must looks better: https://www.mustups.com/new-arrival-80a-mppt-controller-5kva-must-power-solar-inverter/

It - together with my panels, microinverters, batteries, etc - is still lying in its box in the garage until I get money for someone to mount the panels. I'll do the wiring myself, but I want all cabling to run inside the wall. So I need someone who knows how to use a grinder because I'm scared shirtless.

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
I know.

That's why I ordered one, but Ari sent me a must (new version). On paper, the must looks better: https://www.mustups.com/new-arrival-80a-mppt-controller-5kva-must-power-solar-inverter/

It - together with my panels, microinverters, batteries, etc - is still lying in its box in the garage until I get money for someone to mount the panels. I'll do the wiring myself, but I want all cabling to run inside the wall. So I need someone who knows how to use a grinder because I'm scared shirtless.
It would be best to consult with a building engineer on this, as you might weaken your building if you grind into the walls. Where are you based? I do installations.