Taking lights and internet off the Grid (mostly)

Jimmy-Z

So the two 12 V batteries in parallel will give me 24 V ?

Thanks for the sound advice.
Nope, parallel will keep the same voltage & double your amps. Series will double your volts & keep the same amps.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Interesting side note for those interested in the Tesla batteries. Was speaking to my brother in law who is an engineer in this field, and the price of the 3kva 1hr batteries have dropped to around 16k (were over 35k).

FNfal

Executive Member
:oops::unsure: Are you sure you're up to this?
You are right , for those who do not know the basics of electricity , batteries can explode and injure people if over charged or shorted ,there are many hazards .
Do not play with high amperage electricity if you do not know what you are doing .

Last edited:

Arthur

Honorary Master
You are rite , for those who do not know the basics of electricity , batteries can explode and injure people if over charged or shorted ,there are many hazards .
Do not play with high amperage electricity if you do not know what you are doing .
Jaws677, or is it greg-SA?, should wait until s/he's done Grade 9 Science. Basic electricity knowledge seems to be absent.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

Two 12 volt batteries in parallel give you double the capacity at 12 Volts.
If you want 24Volts the batteries MUST be in series.

lucifir

Expert Member
Interesting side note for those interested in the Tesla batteries. Was speaking to my brother in law who is an engineer in this field, and the price of the 3kva 1hr batteries have dropped to around 16k (were over 35k).
didn't they run out of stock or something ... so unlikely they would drop prices with such high demand.
any link you can refer to for those interested?

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
didn't they run out of stock or something ... so unlikely they would drop prices with such high demand.
I will try get that out of him. Will reply here when I get a response.

Jaws677

Check out the Polyntech batteries on powerstore.co.za

Really nice batteries.

wingnut771

Executive Member
Isn't the real question is how do I make my spinning disk elec meter turn backwards after my batteries are charged?

greg_SA

Expert Member
Hehe. Only if you got it at the Checkers check-out. Must've been greg_SA then. I missed your wink. Mybad.
Old Post, but rather read properly before you dis someone...

Dude, you obviously didn't follow the posts properly... I said that my Axpert 1kVA inverter is a 12V system, and I use 2 12V batteries in parallel.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
I'm running lounge at around 300 watts average on my 2x105aH batteries for 3 hours. Longest i had loadshedding last year and batteries hardly battered an eyelid.
If you find your batteries are not coping either cut down on usage or buy another 4 and rewire everything in parallel series to achieve your 48 volts @ 360Ah

Pho3nix

The Legend
I'm running lounge at around 300 watts average on my 2x105aH batteries for 3 hours. Longest i had loadshedding last year and batteries hardly battered an eyelid.
If you find your batteries are not coping either cut down on usage or buy another 4 and rewire everything in parallel series to achieve your 48 volts @ 360Ah
So what I’m getting from this is that the kit should be fine for my use case....

Wanna get lights on Solar soon after as well

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Lights and lounge possibly. Maths for lights came to 0.7ish kWh for 5 hours.
Lounge plug around 1.5 kWh for the whole day as an average.
Do you leave all your light on, always? Or only a few, for the time that you're awake, if at night :)