Taking lights and internet off the Grid (mostly)

greg_SA

Expert Member
Lights and lounge possibly. Maths for lights came to 0.7ish kWh for 5 hours.
Lounge plug around 1.5 kWh for the whole day as an average.
Geez, that sounds is pretty heavy!
I have a 800W inverter, for my lights (all LED) and lounge (TV, media player, Wifi, Fibre, network, alarm, etc). Typically I draw way less than 400W. Last time during load shedding, while streaming to a TV and with kitchen liunge lights on, I was at 200W.

IdlePhaedrus

Expert Member

Pho3nix

The Legend
Do you leave all your light on, always? Or only a few, for the time that you're awake, if at night :)
Maths for lights were for if all of them were all on at the same time for 5 hours. Usually it’s just bedroom, lounge and kitchen which would be maybe half the usage

And only at night. Not all the time

Pho3nix

The Legend
Something like this would be a lot cheaper: https://www.ellies.co.za/product/sinewave-inverter-with-trolley-2000va-modified-1200w/

And you wouldn't also need to wire it up to the DB board directly (and the cost for an electrician to do it to get a certificate of compliance).

The inverters are noisy though..
Want a system I can move to Solar eventually :| unless I’m missing that this will work?

Happy to save some bucks but want something that’ll last and workable for expansion

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
Want a system I can move to Solar eventually :| unless I’m missing that this will work?

Happy to save some bucks but want something that’ll last and workable for expansion
that axpert setup is a very nice startup, add panels later

Pho3nix

The Legend
Geez, that sounds is pretty heavy!
I have a 800W inverter, for my lights (all LED) and lounge (TV, media player, Wifi, Fibre, network, alarm, etc). Typically I draw way less than 400W. Last time during load shedding, while streaming to a TV and with kitchen liunge lights on, I was at 200W.
The average for the lounge was for an entire day :D, most probably less tbh.

greg_SA

Expert Member
All for R13.5k... not bad. Now let me go find R13k :D:D:D
Thanks!
Cool, just watch you loads carefully in the beginning when running from the batteries. It is easy to do, even when running from 220V, you can see what load you are drawing.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
Don't skimp on battery capacity.
Remember no batteries like getting flat
You run a battery down you deplete its life cycles
I like to keep my batteries above 85% capacity at all times and the batteries last longer.
Take a battery down to 50% (that's 12.2volts) and you're battery will eventually moan at you

greg_SA

Expert Member
Don't skimp on battery capacity.
Remember no batteries like getting flat
You run a battery down you deplete its life cycles
I like to keep my batteries above 85% capacity at all times and the batteries last longer.
Take a battery down to 50% (that's 12.2volts) and you're battery will eventually moan at you
It all depends on the batteries, and how long you want them to last. One needs to check the DOD vs number of cycles.
If you use the batteries every day with a solar setup, then a shallow discharge is important. But if it is only for less regular load shedding, the discharge can be deeper as you will have fewer cycles.

Jaws677

Old Post, but rather read properly before you dis someone...

Dude, you obviously didn't follow the posts properly... I said that my Axpert 1kVA inverter is a 12V system, and I use 2 12V batteries in parallel.
Clearly I was not replying to you.

My advice to you would be to go buy the two cheapest car batteries and Midas tomorrow.

Jaws677

that axpert setup is a very nice startup, add panels later
Axpert works well as an UPS or off-grid with solar and their biggest selling point being that they are cheap.
But if you have a grid connection then an Axpert with solar is probably not the best call.

As for being a very nice setup is pushing it a bit. Goodwe is nice setup , Victron a very setup

Pho3nix

The Legend
Axpert works well as an UPS or off-grid with solar and their biggest selling point being that they are cheap.
But if you have a grid connection then an Axpert with solar is probably not the best call.

As for being a very nice setup is pushing it a bit. Goodwe is nice setup , Victron a very setup
Links would be helpful.. with costs